Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 19,255 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband is attending DLI in Monterey soon. I do not have a close family, and so I will be moving to a new state with my husband and children not knowing anyone, and not having people to talk to really. I don't mind too much, I have great kids and a wonderful hubby. I am interested however in knowing more about Monterey from people who have families there. How do you occupy your kids time? Are the schools good schools? What's the weather REALLY like? (I check the weather, but numbers don't really give you a feel for the weather, only an idea) What's the best part of living in Monterey? I'm getting very excited to go, as I grew up on the beach but haven't been there in years! Thank you in advance for all your input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 02:19 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Hi TJ2378,

Welcome to the area! We have a lot of military families here with the DLI, NPS and Fort Ord among other things. I have friends with children attending these various places now.

The Monterey Peninsula is truly a gem along the CA coast, especially if you enjoy the outdoors. The Monterey Bay is a marine life santuary. We currently have whales migrating south for the winter which you can viewed a number of lookouts. Big Sur happens to be one of the most beautiful stretches of coast in CA. There are many activities and things to do for families here. As a resident of Monterey you get free passes to the Aquarium. Then there is Dennis the Menace Park, My Museum and Pacific Grove museum of natural history just to mention a few of fun things. But the best part for our family is getting out and going for hikes year round.

Best schools are in Monterey, Pacific Grove and Carmel.

I could go on, but my lunch break is over.

Just an FYI, La Mesa military housing in Monterey is a very popular place to live for military families here. Though some choose to live in civilian housing nearby.

Derek

Old 01-24-2011, 03:19 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
I lived in Monterey from 04 to 08 and you're in for a real treat. There are tons of things to occupy kids and its one of the most beautiful spots in the country. Like any sizable community the schools can be hit or miss (terrific or so-so). Generally, Pacific Grove schools are better than Monterey's, although La Mesa Elementary is a good one (according to my former coworkers with small children).

Welcome to La Mesa Elementary School

As far as weather goes if you're coming from a warm weather place (and like it) it make take you a season to get used to the weather on the Monterey Peninsula. The fall, winter and spring are pretty mild, but summers (especially early summer) can be gray and drizzly from the marine layer that parks off the coast. There's fog almost every summer evening. It burns off about noon many days (you'll see the fog bank back away and hang off the coast) and once it does the rest of the day is great. The air is very clean and brisk and the sky (and the water) can be sapphire blue. Its a gorgeous place and I miss it.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 19,255 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you for your advice! Our orders just came through and it is officially official that we will be in Monterey this March. I'm so excited, and yet so nervous... :-)

Old 02-04-2011, 03:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
By all means, be excited. As others have said, it's truly gorgeous. I was stationed at what was then Fort Ord back in the 60s and fell in love with the area; especially the Monterey Bay. If we could have afforded it we would have retired there. You're in for a real treat! If you've never done so, get a copy of John Steinbeck's Cannery Row and read it. It will all come together for you once you're there.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 AM

30 posts, read 132,188 times
Hello all!!!

My husband will be attending DLI starting in August and we are super excited about moving to Monterey. We have a 7 year-old and my only concern is to find the perfect school for her. Any advise on elementary schools (private or public) is really welcome. We will be staying in military housing.

@ TJ2378 , my husband's family and my family are all in different countries. It is only the three of us here in the States, so I know what you mean. Good luck!!!

Old 02-06-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallarios View Post
Hello all!!!

My husband will be attending DLI starting in August and we are super excited about moving to Monterey. We have a 7 year-old and my only concern is to find the perfect school for her. Any advise on elementary schools (private or public) is really welcome. We will be staying in military housing.

@ TJ2378 , my husband's family and my family are all in different countries. It is only the three of us here in the States, so I know what you mean. Good luck!!!
Hi Mallarios,

Take a look at this map to check out the school ratings: California School Performance Maps

La Mesa Elemetary, International School of Monterey (ISM), Robert Down Elementary are all good schools. ISM is hard to get into and I think there is a waiting list. Some friends of ours children also go to Bay View Elementary, but it's closing.

Derek

Old 02-06-2011, 11:11 AM

MtnSurfer, thank you so much for the info!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallarios View Post
MtnSurfer, thank you so much for the info!
Glad to be of help. We homeschool, but have friends whose kids go to these various schools.

There are also private schools, some of which are pretty exclusive. Here are a couple:

Stevenson School: Home This is really expensive. But I think they have scholarships.

Then there is are some faith based schools like: Monterey Bay Christian School

Derek

Old 02-06-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Glad to be of help. We homeschool, but have friends whose kids go to these various schools.

There are also private schools, some of which are pretty exclusive. Here are a couple:

Stevenson School: Home This is really expensive. But I think they have scholarships.

Then there is are some faith based schools like: Monterey Bay Christian School

Derek
Once again, thanks!!!!

We have applied for Santa Catalina and San Carlos. What do you think about those schools?

Currently my daughter attends the best private school in town. Where we live, public schools are pretty horrendous and I guess I am traumatized with the idea that all public schools in America are like the ones here.

Stevenson School looks awesome!!! How bad is the driving from the housing "The Parks at Monterrey Bay" to Stevenson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County