Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 07:54 PM

8,226 posts, read 16,754,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallarios View Post
Once again, thanks!!!!

We have applied for Santa Catalina and San Carlos. What do you think about those schools?

Currently my daughter attends the best private school in town. Where we live, public schools are pretty horrendous and I guess I am traumatized with the idea that all public schools in America are like the ones here.

Stevenson School looks awesome!!! How bad is the driving from the housing "The Parks at Monterrey Bay" to Stevenson?
I don't know much about those two you menitoned. Although they seem to have generally good reviews.

As far as getting to Stevenson from The Parks it shouldn't be too bad. It looks like ~ 10 miles which google estimates ~ 20 minutes. A friend of mine's wife is a teacher there and she really likes working at the school.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 09:54 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,708,492 times
Quote:
Once again, thanks!!!!

We have applied for Santa Catalina and San Carlos. What do you think about those schools?

Currently my daughter attends the best private school in town. Where we live, public schools are pretty horrendous and I guess I am traumatized with the idea that all public schools in America are like the ones here.

Stevenson School looks awesome!!! How bad is the driving from the housing "The Parks at Monterrey Bay" to Stevenson?

At the going rate where California budget cuts are headed, private schools will be the best option. Just avoid the public schools in the Seaside and Marina areas. I would think if your husband is attending DLI, you'd be situated in military housing at the Presidio of Monterey near Pacific Grove? That city has a decent school district.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:38 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,553,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
At the going rate where California budget cuts are headed, private schools will be the best option. Just avoid the public schools in the Seaside and Marina areas. I would think if your husband is attending DLI, you'd be situated in military housing at the Presidio of Monterey near Pacific Grove? That city has a decent school district.
I'm almost certain you need to live in PG to attend their schools. I you're at DLI you kids will most likely go to Bayview Elementary in New Monterey or Walter Colton School.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
She mentioned The Parks which I'm pretty sure is in Seaside on base at Fort Ord. A friend of mine lives there. In that case I don't think she could attend the Monterey or PG public schools. So I'd probably go for private.

The other option is to live in the military housing in Monterey, I believe its called La Mesa. From there I think children can attend La Mesa Elementary.

Derek

Old 02-07-2011, 10:58 AM

Oh man. Having attended schools in Marina and Seaside myself, I wouldn't want my kids attending any of these schools. It appears her only option for a decent public school is La Mesa school, if the poster decides to forgo private schooling for her daughter.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:24 PM

30 posts, read 132,374 times
All this is great information. Thank you all!!! The private schools we have applied at seem to be at full enrollment (as today) for next year for my daughter's grade, so we need to really look into public school. Now we know what housing to request. Thank you!!!!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
All this is great information. Thank you all!!! The private schools we have applied at seem to be at full enrollment (as today) for next year for my daughter's grade, so we need to really look into public school. Now we know what housing to request. Thank you!!!!
Yes, we know a number of military families living in La Mesa now and they all seem to really like it. So if you can get in there I think its the better option for you. We also have friends who use their housing allowance to live in civilian housing in Monterey and Pacific Grove. Our next door neighbor is attending NPS for example.

I just spoke with a friend who lives in La Mesa. He and his wife decided to go with private schools for their two children. They currently send them to Monterey Bay Christian School. He also said to definately not send your daughter to any public school in Seaside or Marina - they're terrible! He said La Mesa Elementary is pretty good for a public school. He also said you could email him with any more specific questions regarding the military housing and schools. I'll send you a DM with his email.

PS - check your direct messages.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-07-2011 at 08:19 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 08:12 PM

mallarios,

I also spoke with my other friend whose wife is a teacher at Stevenson in Pebble Beach. She said to also check out All Saints Day School in Carmel Valley - All Saints' Episcopal Day School According to her its also a really good private school.

http://www.greatschools.org/school/p...om..HeaderLink

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-07-2011 at 08:23 PM..

Old 02-14-2011, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,936 times
Stumbled upon this thread and thought I would give you my limited info. My husband also attends DLI and we moved to the Parks at Monterey in Nov. The Parks are both officer and enlisted and I am pretty sure that La Mesa is just officer. We moved from Hawaii where we had our children in private because we thought their public schools were bad but decided to try public here. It was twice as bad here. We had our children in Marshall here for one month. My son is now attending Stevenson, which is an amazing school, and my daughter is being homeschooled until there is an opening at Stevenson for her. Private school is spendy but they do offer financial aid which helps a lot! If there are no openings you can always live in a district that has great schools. The only 2 districts that I would put my kids in now are Carmel or PG but you do have to be a resident. We looked at trying to do an out of district transfer and they wouldn't let us. There are lots of things to do with children here but in my experience there are not a lot of children. It is a very strange thing. We did not see a single child for the first 10 days of living here and that was when we moved on post. My children and I are still having a hard time adjusting since we were in Hawaii for 6 years. Good luck with everything!

Old 02-14-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAloha View Post
Stumbled upon this thread and thought I would give you my limited info. My husband also attends DLI and we moved to the Parks at Monterey in Nov. The Parks are both officer and enlisted and I am pretty sure that La Mesa is just officer. We moved from Hawaii where we had our children in private because we thought their public schools were bad but decided to try public here. It was twice as bad here. We had our children in Marshall here for one month. My son is now attending Stevenson, which is an amazing school, and my daughter is being homeschooled until there is an opening at Stevenson for her. Private school is spendy but they do offer financial aid which helps a lot! If there are no openings you can always live in a district that has great schools. The only 2 districts that I would put my kids in now are Carmel or PG but you do have to be a resident. We looked at trying to do an out of district transfer and they wouldn't let us. There are lots of things to do with children here but in my experience there are not a lot of children. It is a very strange thing. We did not see a single child for the first 10 days of living here and that was when we moved on post. My children and I are still having a hard time adjusting since we were in Hawaii for 6 years. Good luck with everything!
+1. You gave a lot of good info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County