Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 03:32 PM

8,226 posts, read 16,754,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAloha View Post
Stumbled upon this thread and thought I would give you my limited info. My husband also attends DLI and we moved to the Parks at Monterey in Nov. The Parks are both officer and enlisted and I am pretty sure that La Mesa is just officer. We moved from Hawaii where we had our children in private because we thought their public schools were bad but decided to try public here. It was twice as bad here. We had our children in Marshall here for one month. My son is now attending Stevenson, which is an amazing school, and my daughter is being homeschooled until there is an opening at Stevenson for her. Private school is spendy but they do offer financial aid which helps a lot! If there are no openings you can always live in a district that has great schools. The only 2 districts that I would put my kids in now are Carmel or PG but you do have to be a resident. We looked at trying to do an out of district transfer and they wouldn't let us. There are lots of things to do with children here but in my experience there are not a lot of children. It is a very strange thing. We did not see a single child for the first 10 days of living here and that was when we moved on post. My children and I are still having a hard time adjusting since we were in Hawaii for 6 years. Good luck with everything!
Yes, this is very helpful.

I know some military families as well as families in general on the peninsula hesitate to even consider to Stevenson. The place is very expensive/exclusive, like most things in Pebble Beach. But its good to know there are scholarships available which can help with the cost.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 19,281 times
Default Doe Park?

Has anyone been in, or lived in, any of the homes in Doe Park? I think technically it's in Seaside. This is where we will be staying, but I can't find very many pictures, and from what I have seen, I can't tell if they are townhomes, or single family homes. (The the gentlemen I spoke to at the main office both said single family, but I'm not sure....) Any advice?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:50 AM

Yes, they are in Seaside on base at Fort Ord. And they do appear to be single family homes. Essentially they are part of a new development right off of General Jim Moore Blvd. See the photos here: Doe Park

Derek

Old 02-17-2011, 12:14 PM

Just an FYI that I heard from my military friends that Marshall Elementry is not very good at all. And its the one on base at Fort Ord. While its ratings seem somewhat mixed as far as test scores go, the parents I talked with weren't too thrilled with the school. One basically pulled his kids out. There may be others parent who like it or feel differently. But the ones I spoken with don't like it very much at all. You could always try it and if you really don't like it switch to private schools. That is what many Seaside residents decide to do.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-17-2011 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-18-2011, 11:11 AM

17,650 posts, read 22,702,175 times
When we lived by Monterey, York School appeared to be a good school for grades 8-12. It's out by Laguna Seca.
York Independent Private Day School College Prep - Home

Old 02-21-2011, 10:50 AM

30 posts, read 132,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Just an FYI that I heard from my military friends that Marshall Elementry is not very good at all. And its the one on base at Fort Ord. While its ratings seem somewhat mixed as far as test scores go, the parents I talked with weren't too thrilled with the school. One basically pulled his kids out. There may be others parent who like it or feel differently. But the ones I spoken with don't like it very much at all. You could always try it and if you really don't like it switch to private schools. That is what many Seaside residents decide to do.

Derek
Derek, we will spend a week at the end of March in Monterey so we can tour some schools for my daughter and look at the housing. We are sooooo excited!!! You have helped us more than you can imagine!!!!

Old 02-21-2011, 11:04 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,708,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallarios View Post
Derek, we will spend a week at the end of March in Monterey so we can tour some schools for my daughter and look at the housing. We are sooooo excited!!! You have helped us more than you can imagine!!!!
Good to hear that. Derek is an asset to the forum when it comes to the Monterey area and SoCal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County