Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:58 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,760,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimnTx View Post
Can anyone please tell me about the schools? If you moved to Montana from another state, was it hard for your child/children to adjust? Did they have an easy time making new friends? Any info would be great..thank you.
You said you wanted honest information, right?

In high school there was a family that moved from Texas to Montana. I was probably 15 or 16 at the time. The daughter was smoking hot, and very quickly she made friends. We all cared (at the age of 15) more about the looks of the new girls in school rather than where they were from. Did we care about the looks of the new boys? You'd have to ask the girls that question.

That's not to say that outsiders were well received in general in the schools. The other kids usually didn't go out of their way to make friends with most of them, so sometimes the new ones had friends and oftentimes they didn't. It really depends on what your kids are like. It's usually hard on most kids to change schools and it's hard to be the new person in school and not know very many people when everyone else knows pretty much everyone in the class and the class above and the class below. It is intimidating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 10:10 AM

14 posts, read 48,101 times
Thank you for your reply. I do worry about that. My boys ( 14-11-7 ) have a really hard time meeting strangers and they don't understand sometimes how unfriendly some can be. I guess that's any where you go.
Do you know anything about Stevensville?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimnTx View Post
Can anyone please tell me about the schools? If you moved to Montana from another state, was it hard for your child/children to adjust? Did they have an easy time making new friends? Any info would be great..thank you.
I suppose they vary around the state.
We are in Bozeman, and the schools are very good.
My neighbor commutes to LA to be able to keep his kids in the Bozeman schools!

Gary

Old 08-15-2008, 09:35 AM

Thank you for your reply, Gary. Still looking into Stevensville. Doing alot of research on that one.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:52 AM

77 posts, read 239,031 times
"Towns that dont change????"
Hmmmmm lets see, Kalispell has changed a lot, but it is still fantastic. It is nice to acess to more shopping without going to missoula or spokane. The downside is yes there is more traffic and people. Personally I dont care where people come from as long as I dont have to listen to them whine.
As far as the kids go would they do better is a somewhat larger area with more access to activities??? Just a thought. Just an FYI, most of western MT is going through a lot of growing pains, 21 percent growth rate in A lot areas. That is staggering, maybe as the econ. slows the influx will slow as well.
As for Stevensville or stevi It is wonderful, but again, being in the bitterroot it is experiencing changes too. Some good and some bad, depending or your point of view

Old 08-15-2008, 10:17 AM

Thank you. Is Bitterroot a very small town? We want very small. The kind of place where you have to drive 15 or 20 miles to go grocery shopping. Trying to get away from places like Houston and surrounding cities.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:09 PM

77 posts, read 239,031 times
Bitterroot is not a town it is an area, " The Bitteroot valley, I dont know the exact population. Stevensville is in the bitterroot valley. I'm not sure
of the population of "stevi' as the locals call it. I dont know a lot about Stevi, but I am guessing it is going through growing pains as is most of western MT. Have you considered someplace like Darby, Libby or Eureka? tjere is lots of smaller communities in the West that havent been touched as much by the growth explosion.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:08 AM

Thank you very much for that info. I will look into those three places.
Are any of those in the valley also?

Old 08-16-2008, 04:33 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,760,004 times
Darby, Libby, and Eureka are all out of the Flathead.

Are you needing work once you get here? That's usually a great place when you start looking is to find out what communities offer jobs that you are looking for.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:44 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,084,663 times
I'm not really sure what "out of the Flathead means " but Darby is in the Bitterroot Valley, and the Bitterroot river runs down (northward) to join the Clark Fork River just outside of Missoula.
Libby and Eureka are in a different county (Lincoln) and they are in a separate river drainage from the Flathead, Libby and Eureka are on the Kootenai river, it doesn't into the Flathead river or valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana