Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:36 PM

355 posts, read 1,147,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post

Don't knock those tired old areas too much... you'll miss 'em when they've been replaced by Yet Another Mall.

Hmm... there's a new word beggin' to be created: "Yammies", meaning yuppies who can't survive without Yet Another Mall.
Sorry to be tardy on this thread, but I have to throw big kudos to Reziac for this one - should be an instant addition to the state's lexicon, esp. where this sort of attitude is, sadly, no joke.

Even so, gave me a good laugh and I need one as the Monday alarm goes off at 3:30 a.m. .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 08:41 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippperhead View Post
Yes, i am lucky.. However, I don't work that much and for the time he doesn't need me,I could do a little something on the side, like a part time job inside where i don't get cooked!he said he needed me from time to time. It is hot when I work outside!I am more of a friend to this man. He has a couple of young people working for him and they can take the heat better than me. One of them is an indian,and when I see him i compliment him on his tan. I need a little more money to for bills.I was working for k-mart and hated i quit.I was hired by a temp service and never got calls for any jobs. I went to another temp agency and had a job for 6 days and it ended and that was over a month ago. i got this job and worked a lot for awhile, then it kind of peterd out and this week I worked 4 hours. so now to find a little something more. Hope it goes ok!
Well good luck on finding another source of income to pay those darn bills. Isn't it sad when our standards of living are basically "survive"? Somebody else has this figured out better than me..I just know they do. So what type of work do you do?

Old 07-20-2008, 11:50 PM

33 posts, read 98,051 times
I have done so many jobs... I am working a little at a tree/plant nursery.I have done printing, paper and textiles. I have done construction labor.I was head baker at dunkin donuts. I worked for another donut factory.I have dissassembled steel buildings. cut concrete. Landscaping,window washing,nursery labor. stocking shelves,unloaded trucks, spun wool into thread. I was a security guard at a few different jobs...I worked on my grand fathers farm.washed cars. pulled concrete, dug ditches. Almost every time I change jobs, i mainly do something different. I also helped install the inside shelving at the new office depot. Once I do a job, and find out how bad it sucks, i generally don't want to do it ever again. My days of hard labor are coming to an end. My wife and I are going to do a catering business from our home, where we will cater small venues for less than 20 people, where we cook the food at home, and then deliver it to wherever. we may provide plastic cutlery and the like. We had a few gigs already. We have friends who work for the state government who have office parties and call us up and say can you make this for me and how much does it cost.my wife did a catering job for a couple of friends and made I think 9 meals made over 500 bucks..We are trying to be legit so we can do more for people we don't know, only for a few days a week because working all of the time bites and life is too short to enjoy if all you do is work. And I have spent much of my life working here there and everywhere since I was 12 and am about to be 41, with a case of adhd and bi-polar2, which gets worse by the year and need to work for myself, so i don't start killing bosses and co workers.By the way, surviving is good and bad. Good because you are surviving, bad because your not getting rich, just treading water. But better than a lot of people are doing!

Old 07-22-2008, 03:23 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFamilyGrace View Post
That is so interesting, thanks! I lived in Indiana for about a year when I was 10-11 and we would go to the Amish country to buy corn and baked goods (which were the best). I was always so intrigued by their lifestyle, and now I'm beginning to think that's not such a bad way to live. How do you know about the Amish religion?
Not a lot, but.... the whole lifestyle is built around "plain" (humble) living in the eyes of God, and separation from the world. The elders decide what is "plain" or not. Some communities don't allow even such simple things as buttons and zippers, others are more liberal and may even use automobiles. They are not necessarily against technology or modern conveniences, but rather, against what they perceive as the negative impact of such modern devices on "plain" living and separation. -- As you say, there are times when their lifestyle does look attractive, and methinks a lot of people would actually be happier living that way than they are in the modern rat race.

Amish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Plain people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Speaking of oldfashioned lifestyles, when I lived in MT, Albertson's bought all their eggs from the Hutterite colonies, and they were darn good fresh eggs!

Hutterite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-25-2008, 11:58 AM

189 posts, read 799,908 times
Tell us how you really feel andromeda! LOL

Old 07-25-2008, 01:56 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,934 times
They put the same post on 4 or 5 different threads. Hope the door didn't hit em in the butt on the way to the east coast!

I've never felt out-casted for not being religious here. Seems like a weird statement to me to comment on religious nut-jobs. Can't say I've run into any that bothered me.

Theres the Hutterites that sell food and wine at the farmers markets, but they pretty much keep to themselves, and have seemed friendly when you see them around. (Like Reziac said.. good eggs!) I've heard they make good wine too, but I've never tried any.

Then there is the CUT (Church Universal and Triumphant) folks, but I think they came from California. I've never met one of them (that I know of) so can't say they bug me. (Although they do seem like wierdos based on their website...)

Old 07-25-2008, 03:32 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,757,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Then there is the CUT (Church Universal and Triumphant) folks, but I think they came from California. I've never met one of them (that I know of) so can't say they bug me. (Although they do seem like wierdos based on their website...)
I'm related to some of them.....weirdo is right!

I won't go any further, but was really happy when their church pretty much fell apart in the mid-nineties when the world apoclyse that the prophet (church leader) predicted didn't happen....

Old 07-26-2008, 10:13 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
I'm related to some of them.....weirdo is right!

I won't go any further, but was really happy when their church pretty much fell apart in the mid-nineties when the world apoclyse that the prophet (church leader) predicted didn't happen....
The CUT is after my time, but I remember when the Moonies were trying to get established in Bozeman in the early 1970s. (I think they had a facility south of Livingston somewhere, plus they rented a house and used another building in Bozeman for their shrine, whatever they called it.) They were SO encouraged by all the college students who cheerfully crowded into their weekly presentations... took 'em a long time to notice that the only reason all us starving students were there was to chow down on the free granola. They served it up from 50 pound bags, and it was the best granola I've ever eaten, before or since. When they stopped giving out granola, everyone stopped showing up. Amazing lack of faith, eh?

The true-believer Moonie diet at the time was nothing but granola and rice, making them sufficiently protein-starved to impair cognitive thinking. This, IMO, is not coincidence. The technique has been used to increase compliant behaviour since the beginning of time.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:49 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,934 times
Ironic that CUT is south of Livingston now. Must be a new ager attraction or something..

Come to think about it, years ago when I worked for the phone company in Bozeman I remember a guy, who was a podiatrist that I hooked up service for. He gave me some kind of religious business card, talking about all this wierd new age stuff. (Later he called and complained because he failed to tell me at the time that he didn't like where the phone jack was.. so I went back and moved it for him. Maybe he was mad that I didn't comment on the card he gave me or something.)

I'll betcha he was one of those folks.. I thought it was a bit strange that a doctor lived in a little shoddy apartment, but some of the nicest most well educated folks I've known throughout the years have been humble in lifestyle and used their financial resources to help others, or for travel money to see as much of the world as possible. I guess I never really thought about it until this thread.

Oh well.. not my cup of tea, but so long as it doesn't hurt anyone to each their own I guess.. Just leave me out of it.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:07 PM

947 posts, read 3,573,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
<snip>
Helena is one of the most beautiful towns in the country! All tucked inside all those ranges coming together ... a beautiful high-valley far above the other valleys. A tad quaint. A tad old. A tad small. But beautiful.
So many other MT towns aren't quite so splendorific ... like Butte, Broadus, Sheep Creek, Dillon ... even Biddle - but Helena is nothing if not beautiful - the Mayberry of Montana ... and the capitol! <snip>

I beg to differ about Dillon.. Ive seen tons of pictures from the area, talked to several people there, applied for a job there twice... and I find Dillon to be beautiful.

Then again, what ones definition of beautiful is, might not be to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana