Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:58 AM

17 posts, read 67,610 times

Advertisements

I was only 26 with a one year old child , we were living in Utah and drove up to Great Falls so Grandpa could see his new grandbaby. Yikes!! We were snowed in for several days , had to climb out the window so you could shovel the high snowdrift in front of the door. The only way to get around was with snowmobiles . I felt so bad because I only brought a little bit of food. Lucky for me my in laws have been in Montana since the 60's. We ate cougar and elk and had lots of wood. I'm originally from NJ , we get bad ice storms in between the snow storms . BUT nothing can prepare you for a Montana winter especially the storm of '96. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. PS. What was I thinking driving to Montana In December ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 12:22 PM

79 posts, read 262,292 times
LOL me too. Our daughter had a friend visiting from Washington in a small white car. She went out to start her car one morning and couldnt find it. It was totally buried.We still tease her to this day about winter in Montana LOL. Took along time to dig out from under that winter.But it sure was beautiful.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:55 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,266 times
Yup! Snowiest winter on record for Bozeman, with nearly 200" of snow at the valley floor (600"+ in the mountains). Nearly every town in the state recieved 100" that winter. Cold enough for the snow to stick around into June, as well.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:00 PM

Best part was that peak snowdepth occured on Christmas day

Old 11-04-2007, 02:01 PM

92 posts, read 388,401 times
That was the year our ranch burned up on Oct 13 and we got snow the next day that didn't leave until the first weekend in June. We also lost around 7 cows from a bank repo herd due to malnutrition. Luckily we got them healthy before we lost anymore. The previous owner had left his bull in with them for over 6 months and hadn't bothered to feed them anything except what they could forage in an overgrazed pasture. Thank God we still had our team of horses to pull a hay sled with because half the time we couldn't make it into the field with the trucks, skidsteer or tractor. I'd love to have that one revisit us for the moisture, but I don't know if I want to be so trapped by all the snow.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:32 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,815,277 times
There was so much snow that year,i remember some people were having a hard time trying to figure out where to put, it after plowing. our driveway was so high on each side with snow, it was like driving down a tunnel.But it was Beautiful!

Old 11-04-2007, 06:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Maybe this year????? Hope,hope,hope.......

Old 11-07-2007, 09:20 AM

504 posts, read 2,175,820 times
I love hearing these stories. We're in Northern Michigan where it snows a lot due to lake affect snow. After living in Louisiana and Western Oregon, I wouldn't want to live anywhere that DIDN'T get lots of snow now. I love it. People here HATE it. They have flat land to drive on too.

Do you get snow all at once, or does it come a little at a time? Here it snows a bit almost every day, it seems, through the winter. There really isn't much sun, which I kind of miss, but the snow stays on the ground for months, and it reflects a lot of light.

Kids had 6-7 snow days last year. How many do kids there typically get? It has to be pretty extreme for them to get school called off. The cut off for outdoor recess during the winter is 10 degrees (wind chill included).

People think I'm crazy, but I really welcome the "forced hybernation" that comes with tons of snow and cold weather. I got my pantry well stocked, and our wood pile is huge. I think we're in good shape...

Old 11-07-2007, 10:07 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,815,277 times
That year it started snowing at the end of October,not much,but a start(i remember because i had to take my dog in to get spayed that day) and never really quit after that. and like the other poster said,christmas day it really came down. lots of roof shoveling that year. i know some people in the Swan,were hauling snow off in trucks just to make more room on their drives.i miss the snow we havent really had a good one in the last few yrs.theres nothing prettier than looking out your front window and seeing wildlife standing in the pure white snow,while the sun makes it sparkle
hopefully we can get some this year !
edit: found these pix from that year. we were renting before building.is nov. 96
http://home.centurytel.net/Dians/index.html/guessing%20game%20/snow%20in%20november.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by grannymontanny; 11-07-2007 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: add pic

Old 11-07-2007, 10:09 AM

Montana schools do not give off for snow days. I've never, ever seen it anywhere in the state. We do let kids go into school late if the wind-chill in the morning is -40 or below, however.

How much snow you get is really contingent on where in the state you live. Far eastern Montana, you'll see maybe 25 inches per year (a lot less than what you're used to). But in one of the snowier towns like Bozeman or Whitefish, you'll see nearly 100 inches per year. Almost all of that comes from small snow events, like Northern Michigan. Although in early October we did have a large eight inch snowstorm in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana