Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 11:37 PM

10 posts, read 100,179 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, society has had some slight fascination with wilderness for the past few decades. The ugly effect that I have seen is shinny SUVs that make my house unaffordable, litter when they do leave pavement, and try to legaly attack my way of life. My family has been in this state for 6 generations and now people move here from other places and try to make it like the place they came from. My question is, when the houses aren't big enough and the SUVs not shinny enough, why not just go back from whence you came? Instead, inner-city people stay here and try to change my local political environment. So, to those imports who feel it is ok to lobby and harrass against hunting: you are tyrants, attacking my way of life. I haven't outlawed $4 coffee (because it's stupid and if you can waste that much then it should just be taken from you as tax) so leave my hunting alone. And, if you happen to walk your dog in an urban recreation area and are abhored that someone can actually archery hunt there just remember that hunting paid for the are in the first place. And, most importantly, hunting is considered a right of Montana citizens. If you do not like it, please leave. Otherwise, any attack on my right to hunt will be considered theft, and an attack upon my families welfare...how would you react if someone attacked your way of life and the welfare of your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 01:17 PM

777 posts, read 3,200,471 times
I agree with and respect what you are saying. I am not a hunter type of person, but I absolutely have nothing against someone that does. I am an outdoor kind of person, but more like motorcycle riding, offroading, horseback riding, etc.

Old 12-23-2006, 04:37 PM

27 posts, read 95,212 times
In the old days, people coming into a new town either adapted or they found out fast what tar and feathers were really for. In todays politically correct society, if you come to a new town and try to change things, the new guy is the enlightened fellow and the old timer is just a dumb old coot.

After living in Montana for 6 years and then being dragged away by the military...I can say Montana was the most Political Incorrect State I have ever lived in. By this I mean, people said what they thought, meant what they said and bothered no one.

On the other hand, I lived in California's politically correct society where no one said what they meant, accepted and most of the time embraced immoral behaviour. Then they tried to change laws to make immoral behaviour the norm. The won!

I wish I could move back to Montana but I need a job and Montana just doesn't pay the wages I "want". I'm still searching for the acceptable Montana job but doubt it will come my way.

Please keep Montana...Montana. The rest of the nation can go the way of political correctness.

BTW...I don't hunt unless you call fishing for trout in a small stream hunting

Old 04-06-2007, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 16,964 times
Hey that's exactly what the Indians said when the first white settlers/ miners began to arrive. "If you don't like the way we live, hunt, teach our children, and worship, then just go back to the land of the rising sun."

We didn't list now did we?

Old 04-06-2007, 04:33 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,639,075 times
The only way that I could see hunting becoming restricted in Montana would be if the number of animals had dwindled to such an extent that there weren't enough to maintain a breeding population. I hunted with my Dad when I grew up and all of my relatives were hunters and I agree that it's a part of the lifestyle of Montana. Even in more heavily populated states back east hunting is popular in the remote areas so I don't think newcomers are going to change that.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:58 AM

8,094 posts, read 15,188,783 times
Texas is a big outdoorsy state too, with a big gun-totin' population (many of whom hunt) but Texas managed to effectively outlaw hunting.

See, what the animal rights nuts managed was to get shooting ANY animal declared "cruelty" -- you can still hunt, but then you get to defend yourself in court over whether that deer you shot "suffered".

This effectively outlawed hunting, in a BIG hunting state with a long tradition of hunting and a massively farm/ranch culture (outside of the cities).

I don't know what's going on with this law now, I know there was a movement afoot to overturn it, but the city folk who've never seen a deer except as Bambi far outnumber those who actually hunt their winter meat.

"Democracy: that ultimate triumph of quantity over quality." -- Peter H. Peel

Old 04-07-2007, 10:21 AM

75 posts, read 382,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Texas is a big outdoorsy state too, with a big gun-totin' population (many of whom hunt) but Texas managed to effectively outlaw hunting.

See, what the animal rights nuts managed was to get shooting ANY animal declared "cruelty" -- you can still hunt, but then you get to defend yourself in court over whether that deer you shot "suffered".

This effectively outlawed hunting, in a BIG hunting state with a long tradition of hunting and a massively farm/ranch culture (outside of the cities).

I don't know what's going on with this law now, I know there was a movement afoot to overturn it, but the city folk who've never seen a deer except as Bambi far outnumber those who actually hunt their winter meat.

"Democracy: that ultimate triumph of quantity over quality." -- Peter H. Peel

Reziac,

I am a Texan, and as far as I know, lots of people still legally hunt in Texas. I am not a hunter, and I never have been one, but lots of people in my extended family are hunters. I know that there are limits and rules regarding the acceptable number of animals to kill, when it is okay to hunt specific types of animals, rules about where it is okay to hunt, and rules about locating and killing wounded animals. (I guess this is what you are referring to in your post.)

Frankly, I think we need rules; some people have absolutely no sense. They are self-centered, selfish, and cruel; they would kill anything in sight if limits were not placed on numbers of animals to kill, and it would not be because they were trying to feed their families. They would go on anybody's land without permission. They would kill baby animals. They would wound animals and leave them to suffer. If everybody had good sense, rules wouldn't be necessary.

I know absolutely nothing about hunting in Montana, but I would imagine that the state of Montana has also established rules and regulations.

Here is the url for the Texas Parks and Wildlife website if you are interested in finding out about the rules for hunting in Texas: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/ .

As the great Molly Ivins said: "There's never been a law yet that didn't have a ridiculous consequence in some unusual situation; there's probably never been a government program that didn't accidentally benefit someone it wasn't intended to. Most people who work in government understand that what you do about it is fix the problem -- you don't just attack the whole government." [quote]

Old 04-10-2007, 03:18 PM

26 posts, read 207,865 times
Even with all of the hunting that goes on now in MT there are still many accidents/fatalities involving vehicles and animals on the roads. I believe hunting serves many purposes. I hit a deer on the highway in Elk Park one foggy winter night and was lucky to survive. There is a bigger picture a few people should look at. On that bright note, how's everyones spring going?? LOL

Old 04-11-2007, 02:21 PM

989 posts, read 3,530,279 times
In Helena we have a HUGE urban deer problem. There is between 250 and 500 deer that live right in the city. Its a big problem the city is trying to deal with.

I dont think the original post was just about animals and hunting though... I think its more.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:34 PM

495 posts, read 494,545 times
mthuntnow..................first off let me say I couldn't agree more with you.
But you know what they tell me around this forum, when I get down on all the growth and implants...........they say "you have to except change", "it's good for our economy"........I say, bunk bunk and more bunk......I think we were all alot more better off before all this 'change' came our way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: