Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2015, 10:16 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Oooh... trade ya pie for caramels....

So what's your secret recipe?
Pretty simple really,
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup butter
2 cups cream

Heat sugar, syrup, butter and 1 cup cream to boil over a medium heat stirring constantly. Add the remainder of the cream and heat to 245 degrees on your candy thermometer. The recipe say to stir occasionally for this part, but I stir constantly because it's easy to scorch and get dark. Constant stirring gives a good light colored and creamy carmel. I always use a wire whip for stirring, just a slow stir not a whip, and use at least a 3 quart pan because it really bubbles up.

I line an 8 x 8 x 2 pan with parchment, pour in the Carmel, and cool in the fridge for 24 hours to allow the sugars to temper before I serve it.

This is the easiest recipe I've ever found, and it gives the best product.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 10:43 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Sounds pretty simple, not to mention delicious. I'll give it a try and report back. (This requires a trip to Costco, where cream can be had by the half-gallon.) Thanks!

[wondering what it would be like full of pecans or hazelnuts]

Improved pumpkin pie recipe:

Start with the Libby's regular pumpkin, recipe on the can
use half the sugar and make it brown sugar
double the cinnamon and ginger (DON'T double the cloves!!)
throw in a spoon of nutmeg and dollops of vanilla and molasses

This can be cut back to as little as a couple tablespoons of sugar for folks who can't take much sugar. The extra spices make up for it.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:25 PM

233 posts, read 543,477 times
Snowed all Christmas day in Bozeman. Another inch on top of about 8-10.

Beautiful.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:18 PM

From the guy who did the [vimeo]28858208[/vimeo]
expose film on "wolf reintroduction":

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jking/vicebear

Old 01-15-2016, 04:56 PM

71 posts, read 72,718 times
Thanks Reziac for the link. Interesting to see the Wildlands Project discussed. Nobody wants to believe the end goal of the politics in power is to eradicate the human race. Kinda hard to wrap your mind around something like that. Even as a Christian I have a hard time with this and keep praying for peace in my heart so I can just carry on and not be swamped with worry over what's to come.

Did learn from the video that wolves are much more destructive than I'd thought. I knew they would just gut an animal then leave unlike bears who will stick around a carcass until its finished off. At least that's what I inferred from a conversation with a neighbor to our wood lot property. He warned us that a dead steer was down xxxx creek and a bear had been working it over for a couple days so stay away. We usually took the kids down for a swim out there and he knew we needed to be warned.

Hope JD King gets his grant, not looking so good though.

Maybe you would know this? Somewhere I heard about these introduced wolves carrying a hyatidid parasite or Echinococcus granulosis. Supposed to be very dangerous and can spread from the animals droppings.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:33 PM

Echinococcus granulosis is a fancy name for the common dog tapeworm. Since Alaska is an endemic area, quite possible some of those introduced wolves brought it with them (far as I know they were neither quarantined nor treated for parasites prior to release). But probably a much more important infection vector is feeding raw organ meats to pets.

And a vastly more important infection vector for all sorts of nasty parasites are the approx. 300,000 dogs imported every year by 'rescues', largely from China. Heartworm was spread all over North America by 'rescue' transport; it used to be primarily an issue in the Mississippi basin and central California, but there is now no area completely free of it.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:54 PM

Yesterday it was 60 degrees.

Today it's raining.

This calendar says it's still January.

<shakes calendar, turns it to and fro>

I think my calendar is broken.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:30 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,562 times
Wow what a contrast, just pulled up a spot forecast for my place south of Anaconda, appears it is still winter there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Yesterday it was 60 degrees.

Today it's raining.

This calendar says it's still January.

<shakes calendar, turns it to and fro>

I think my calendar is broken.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:36 AM

I dunno about Anaconda, but up above Butte they look at their calendars funny if it doesn't freeze hard in July. Clearly it's on a different planet!

Old 01-30-2016, 07:48 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,562 times
LOL yep a friend up in Great Falls was saying the snow is gone and there was a mess of doggy doo doo now showing.
And yes I have seen the hard freeze in July over the 4th a few years back ice on the windows and also snow, but again our place is at 7000 ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana