Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 07:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times

Advertisements

The smoke is terrible here...where are the fires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 06:42 AM

160 posts, read 301,280 times
I drove home from the Swan on Saturday and it was smokey all the way past Challis on Hwy 93.
There was a huge fire camp setup on the North Fork of the Salmon river. All of the activity was west of the Highway.

Anybody heard from Griz? That fire is getting real close to Hamilton.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,610 times
Default Our fire is under control. (so far)

The west Garceau fire came down the ridge and threatened our valley but I don't think there is much burning going on anymore. It was started about a month ago by lightning I believe.
Fire is good, it enables renewal of new growth and is part of nature. We just don't want our towns and ranches burned up and my weak lungs can't take too much of this smokey air.

This photo came from the fire monitoring website called Inciweb. You can find most fire info such as status and pictures for the fires in all of the nation on this government website.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I thought the smoke was finally getting to me this weekend. Spent all night Sunday dry coughing and couldn't sleep (maybe an hour tops). Monday a.m. had to catch a 6:20a.m. flight for Denver for a couple of weeks on business and hacked all the way into Denver. Finally figured out it ain't smoke- more than likely pertussis (whooping cough).

Schools back in session and with all those kiddies coming back into one building they are sure to be passing along lot's of little goodies. Walking bio-hazard factories, they are.. More than likely brought home more than 'homework'..

However, and it is sad to say, the air quality in downtown Denver is cleaner than Helena was.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:18 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
The west Garceau fire came down the ridge and threatened our valley but I don't think there is much burning going on anymore. It was started about a month ago by lightning I believe.
Fire is good, it enables renewal of new growth and is part of nature. We just don't want our towns and ranches burned up and my weak lungs can't take too much of this smokey air.

This photo came from the fire monitoring website called Inciweb. You can find most fire info such as status and pictures for the fires in all of the nation on this government website.
That is an amazing website! Every fire is described with narratives and plans for containment. Thanks for sharing that. And fires definitely have their place in the ecology--they just freak me out more than any other natural disaster. Once I smell smoke on the wind I go into "potential evacuation" mode...cool and focused on the outside, screaming on the inside...

Old 09-14-2012, 10:37 AM

8,088 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Just to make sure folks have the right link for the fire info, it's the .org

InciWeb the Incident Information System: Current Incidents

The .com goes to a linkfarm and the .gov doesn't exist.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:11 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I haven't posted any pictures, yet, but hopefully will tonight.

Over in the shop is a brand new wagon chasis that was purchased from the Amish. The wagon came with 4 hydraulic brakes, but no brake line. We have spent the last 2 weeks working on this wagon. This morning, we mounted the tongue and fitted the hardware to the horses. Depending on the temp, we're going for the virgin trip, this afternoon, or this evening. The temperature is the limiting factor. Not because of the cold evening, but because it's 90 degrees right now. hahaha This trip is going to be the trial run, the acid test. This will be the very first time that this team has pulled and the driver has 4 wheels that brake.

We built a flatbed for now as the wagon is already scheduled for some parades this fall. However, a flatbed isn't real comfortable for just riding around, so the redneck blood kicked into the thinking.

The drivers seat is a plush, soft leather bench seat out of a Chevy Suburban. The driver and passenger have nice drink holders from Wal-Mart. In the back, we mounted a picnic table (hard mounted as it's bolted down) for passengers to sit at and enjoy the trip. 2 coolers have been appropriately mounted for canned refreshments that normally come in a 12 pack, 18 pack, 24 case, or 30 pack. Actually one cooler is for the barley pop, the other cooler has seven-up and a jug of ......... mix.

Wagon not only has 4 hydraulic brakes, but 8 bolster springs. This is the first wagon that has had bolter springs as the older wagons either had single leaf springs mounted across front and back, not mounted like a truck or car. Spoke rims with steel belted radials for handling those high speed corners.

We are really looking forward to this first trip. Lot's of "firsts" to try out. Of course, this will be like sea trials on a ship. You take it out and do, max speed, crash backs, turns and maneuvers to test handling. Seat belts are not required as we may need to bail at any minute.

We are not concerned with LE as our one and only cop only works from 8-4, Monday thru Friday. Matter of fact, she may be riding with us as she only lives 3 houses up the street.

Wish us luck, pictures will be posted ASAWR (as soon as we return).

Old 09-15-2012, 07:52 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Hi Neighbors!
I have not fallen off the earth, just lots to do with the move, this house has and continues to have a big overgrown yard and when I am not doing that or working I am taking in the scenery around Glacier Park. No smoke up here in Lincoln County but the kid in Missoula says it is miserable there.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:30 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Here's some pics. This is the same wagon I posted pics of about 3 weeks ago, only a lot more complete.

Ready to roll out of the shop.

Drivers seat.

Whole wagon.

Cruising down the road.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:55 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Here's some pics. This is the same wagon I posted pics of about 3 weeks ago, only a lot more complete.

Ready to roll out of the shop.

Drivers seat.

Whole wagon.

Cruising down the road.
..........Is there any reason why you are sitting on the "right side of the "drivers seat"?.....or is it just a matter of choice as to where the driver sits? .......and I assume the "item sticking up in the center", is used for a place to wrap the reins around when you're stopped for a length of time.

Do the horses always get "rigged up" on the "same side" each time, or can they switch sides?

Nice looking set-up ......... Oh, and is that silver colored disc on a 'Rod' (shaft) pointing down (about 1/3rd of the way in from the R/S of the wagon)...........is that the "Brake Peddle"?

Best of luck on the forth-coming trips>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana