Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 06:51 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times

Advertisements

The 8-day rabbinic Festival of Chanukah (KHAH-nik-uh; KHAH-noo-kah), recalls the struggle for religious freedom and commemorates a successful guerrilla war against assimilation and the Rededication of the Temple following the victory of the Jews over the pagan Seleucid Greeks in the year 165 B.C.E., always begins on the 25th day of Kislev, and the 25th day of Kislev began at sundown tonight, on the civil calendar.

After the blessings are recited and the Chanukah menorah is lit, songs that highlight the miracle of Chanukah are sung. The most popular is not "The Dreidel Song". The most popular is "Ma'oz Tzur", the original "Rock of Ages", that recounts the many times G-d saved the Jewish people.

"Ma'oz Tzur" as performed by the Shirah Chorus of Tenafly, NJ (video, 1:47)

The SHIRAH Chorus performs Ma'oz Tzur, led by Matthew Lazar - YouTube

After the songs, we E A T.

It is a custom to eat foods fried in oil on Chanukah as a reminder of the miracle of the oil that was supposed to last only one night and lasted eight nights. Latkes, or fried potato pancakes, is typical to almost every Jewish household of Ashkenazic (central and eastern European) descent. In Israel, the custom is to serve sufganiyot, jelly donuts fried in oil, the choice of Jews of Sephardic (Spanish and Portuguese) descent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 07:06 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,003,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
My birthday, too (it was at 5:55 PM on December 20).
Yay for your birthday today, too, Walter.
Many happy returns of the day!

H.I.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
Tomorrow looks like fun.

10+ inches of snow expected in the next 24 hours. Winds gusting to 35 mph.

I have enough grocery's to last about 3 months. Coffee is the worry, I'm down to two cans of foldgers on the shelf.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
Hanukah is really a great holiday. All the fried food you can eat. Doughnuts, potatoe pancakes, and back where I went to school, in Chicago, the Grandma's would make this brisket, with gravy made from dried fruit. And chicken soup with giant matzo balls in the middle.

What a great holiday, you get gold coins made out of chocolate. How perfect is that?!

Old 12-20-2011, 09:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
I knew this awesome weather was too good to last. Drat. I was going to Anaconda on Friday. But there are no Anaconda snakes there.

Was planning on going to Three Forks for lunch this weekend. Annoying.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I knew this awesome weather was too good to last. Drat. I was going to Anaconda on Friday. But there are no Anaconda snakes there.

Was planning on going to Three Forks for lunch this weekend. Annoying.
You should be fine. The storm is for the NORTH SLOPES OF THE
BEARTOOTH ABSAROKA...PRYOR AND BIG HORN MOUNTAINS.

There is also some nasty stuff in line for Bozeman if it's not already hitting there.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:30 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,682,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Tomorrow looks like fun.

10+ inches of snow expected in the next 24 hours. Winds gusting to 35 mph.

I have enough grocery's to last about 3 months. Coffee is the worry, I'm down to two cans of foldgers on the shelf.
I got an image of Timber with a can of Folgers around her neck like a St. Bernard..

We have slick roads, drizzle falling then freezing, no where to drive tomorrow thank goodness.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
I got an image of Timber with a can of Folgers around her neck like a St. Bernard..

We have slick roads, drizzle falling then freezing, no where to drive tomorrow thank goodness.
I don't understand, this morning. There are no road reports on my phone. It's still dark out so I can't tell how the roads are. I'm not getting all dressed up to go look, either. Need another cup of coffee first. hahaha

I'll explain. At 11:30pm, when I went to bed, it was raining. Now, it's snowing and blowing. The way they've been handing out road alerts lately I would have thought there would have been a pile of road reports on my phone. But there is nothing.

It just dawned on me. There are no road reports because the Highway Patrol are still down at Perkins having coffee. That's it. As soon as they are done and get out there the road reports will start coming in.

Time for another cup.

I think Timber would look nice with a little foldgers barrel under her collar.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:43 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Happy Birthday Walter, and Happy Chanukah (KHAH-nik-uh; KHAH-noo-kah), (easier to cut and paste than spell )

Helena is getting wet snow right now, only about a 1/2 inch on the ground. The Highway dept is out slime-ing the roads for maximum slippage, but the city prefers using "green" methods for plowing the streets. They use solar power and let the snow melt off on its own....

Look for body shops to do a "bang up" business today.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:44 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,682,331 times

maybe you and Timber should send in a photo to the Folgers people, hey Santa drinks your brand...
Safe travels to the neighbors, the weather today is dicey across our state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana