Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 05:59 PM

5 posts, read 5,372 times

Advertisements

Back in the day......There was the Dixie Club (originally named Willy's) on the corner of Duval and Houston. The Dalton Boys played there for a long time. The scene moved to Adams, The Bayou Room at the Ramada DIP and sometimes the Rodeway Inn at Michigan.

The Quarter Note at Airport and McGregor was always good and so was Papa George's (the old one) for a late night.

Remember the old Trader George's on the causeway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 06:02 PM

Default Sports Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post
I remember all about DIP....I spent alot of my time there in the early 80's.....

I spent many weekend nights at the Sports Event on DIP and McNally Park.

It was Morgan and Lindsey's in the Navco Shopping Center along with the Midway bar at the end of that shopping Center.

There was Birdville....

There was also the scary house hidden in the woods along Halls Mill called Jason's.

What about the Rendevous close to the Dog River Bridge??? Ahhhh....when Mobile was a cool place to live...

I'm sure there are more that will come to mind....
I was one of the owners of the Sports Event for awhile. We had some good times there.

Old 10-04-2022, 02:54 PM

9 posts, read 14,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtv411 View Post
The Kmart in Cloverleaf plaza was likely a replacement for the Theodore-Dawes location, which originally was a Woolco. Kmart must have opened there after they went out of business in the 80s.

Two other long gone Kmart locations include a location in Bay Minette and possibly one on D.I.P. Both of these were former Grant City (WT Grant) locations that popped up in the 70s after their demise. Both of these locations closed either in the 80s or 90s (and the DIP location may have become something else as well, probably a TG&Y.

As for the other Woolco locations, the one at Government and Azalea became a Bowater home center that was purchased by Home Depot. I don't know if that location converted to one before the Montlimar location opened. Its currently Old Time Pottery.

Another was on Springhill avenue and I-65 and was later demolished, but the plaza portion remains. Any idea if it became something else after Woolco closed?
If I'm remembering correctly the Home Depot on Government and Azalea closed when the Montlimar location opened.

Mentioning Home Depot, Springhill Ave. and I-65 made me think of the Scotty's Builders Supply that was at Dauphin Street and I-65. I have a cousin named Scott so when we'd go by that place when I was young I always thought of him.

Last edited by Pantaloons; 10-04-2022 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: I made a boo boo

Old 10-05-2022, 10:19 AM

5,010 posts, read 9,211,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantaloons View Post
If I'm remembering correctly the Home Depot on Government and Azalea closed when the Montlimar location opened.

Mentioning Home Depot, Springhill Ave. and I-65 made me think of the Scotty's Builders Supply that was at Dauphin Street and I-65. I have a cousin named Scott so when we'd go by that place when I was young I always thought of him.
I remember Scotty's ! We lived in the apartment behind it in the early 90's. I remember Wendy's or some sort of restaurant had a bull in front of it.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:56 AM

689 posts, read 1,213,033 times
The restaurant with the bull was Olan’s Barbeque. The slogan “Here’s the Beef” was painted on the sides of the bull.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:52 PM

5,010 posts, read 9,211,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_regis View Post
The restaurant with the bull was Olan’s Barbeque. The slogan “Here’s the Beef” was painted on the sides of the bull.
Ohhhh ok. I knew it was some sort of restaurant.

Old 10-09-2022, 12:00 PM

934 posts, read 1,943,120 times
This summer I went to my 40th reunion at Baker High School.....haven't seen the school in at least 30 years.

Hadn't changed a lick. Heck, I think my old desk was still there. The library books still had my name in them here and there

Not sure if that's good or bad.

Old 05-28-2023, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 644 times
Hi everyone, I've read through this thread a couple of times before as it's a great source of information about how Mobile was way back when, but I humbly request the help of those older and wiser than me. I'm penning a story set in the late 60s to early 70s Mobile, and because I want the "backdrop" to be as authentic as possible, any information regarding places that you and/or your friends/family hung out, ate and/or drank at, or visited within that time frame would be insanely appreciated.

The only person I know that's still alive that experienced that time is my grandfather, and while he told me a bunch of great stories about racism and certain events, he wasn't much help on the landmarks and locations front. For example, does anyone know where the first Hart's Chicken opened? The first Krispy Kreme? What places like Chrichton/Prichard (if my sources are correct) were like before/after "White Flight?"

If there is an archive or library I could go to for the information I seek, that would also be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-07-2023, 05:51 AM

In the late 60's-early 70's, there weren't as may choices for entertainment. I'll list a few I remember that my friends and I visited. Back then you would run into a lot of people you recognized for other clubs/restaurants.

Clubs/Bars:
The Dixie Club
Adams
Bayou Room
The Max
The Quarter Note
Papa Don's
Trader George's
Papageorge's
Crystal Pistol
Callahan's
The High Chaparral

Restaurants/Fast Food
The Blue Jay Lounge
The Bienville Club
The Pillars
Papageorge's
The Quarter Note
Sky Ranch Steakhouse
Ossie's
Lums
Korbett's
Morrison's
Picadilly
Cafe at Walgreen's
Fletchers
Callahan's
Shakey's Pizza
Pasquale's

Old 03-09-2024, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 203 times
I am not sure anyone still reads this blog. I hope they do. Reading this thread has brought back some great memories. We moved from Mobile in 1968. When Brookly Field closed my stepfather was transferred to San Antonio. My grandfather worked at Brookly Field as an airplane mechanic and retired from there. If anyone does still read this let me know. I’d like to find my cousins and friends of my brother, Cecil Richardson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area