Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 10:16 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,903,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southinyourmouth View Post
What are the plans for the safety of downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 12:09 PM

5,024 posts, read 9,280,637 times
Southern National restaurant :Ex-One Flew South Chef Duane Nutter Is Headed to Mobile - Eater Atlanta

Old 08-17-2016, 01:55 PM

Mardi Gra park is coming alone nicely it will be similar to French Market Nola and City Market Charleston. Is the former proposed pedestrian bridge connecting Mardi Gra park and the Maritime Museum is still in the works ?

I noticed that the oaks in front of the History Museum of Mobile (1857) have been removed. Do you guys know if or what they will be replaced with ?

Before : Visit Us| History Museum of Mobile

Now:

The Hilton Garden Inn in Bienville looks like it should be completed by December.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:05 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,356,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southinyourmouth View Post
What are the plans for the safety of downtown? Shots have rang out 3 times in the past 2 months, which is very unlike Mobile. I was down there one time, and it was a ton of people in the streets pouring their own alcohol and not going into bars and just acting like fools. It was actually kind of scary. It makes me sad because I like going down there for some drinks with friends, but I'm not going down there if this doesn't get fixed soon!

This is a problem when good people in good cities try to breath life back into those cities. The people who make no effort toward personal progress choose instead to try to ruin it for everyone else. It is a troubling problem and hard to solve, because like you, many of us will not put ourselves in harms way to support the gentrification that is going on. That is because we do have goals and work toward successes in our lives without expecting others to do it for us.
For all of us who love our cities it is a hard choice.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:20 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,317,769 times
I wonder what's scary about people drinking in the streets in a entertainment district having fun? We all know it has less to do with there being people and more to do with how "those people" are perceived.

Plenty of places around the world have this sorta thing go on and no one panics. The shootings that take place are happening off the main strip and are isolated incidents so it really doesn't matter if you "disperse the crowd".

It's way easier to watch people when they are together. It's easier to have witnesses also.

Of course the people who want to look politically good aren't really thinking about that. They just need to react to placate people afraid of their own shadow.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:50 AM

311 posts, read 395,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Sounds good, I'm looking forward to trying it when it opens!

Old 08-18-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
I wonder what's scary about people drinking in the streets in a entertainment district having fun? We all know it has less to do with there being people and more to do with how "those people" are perceived.

Plenty of places around the world have this sorta thing go on and no one panics. The shootings that take place are happening off the main strip and are isolated incidents so it really doesn't matter if you "disperse the crowd".

It's way easier to watch people when they are together. It's easier to have witnesses also.

Of course the people who want to look politically good aren't really thinking about that. They just need to react to placate people afraid of their own shadow.
Could not have said it any better.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:33 PM

206 posts, read 197,657 times
Quote:

It would be one thing if they were happening on back streets but they're not.

The block party that has started at midnight on Saturdays in Mobile involve young people either standing on the streets and blocking the bars, cruising the streets clogging up traffic, or sitting in the parking lots drinking out of their trunks. Ruining businesses. There's been 4 shootings, 1 in the middle of Dauphin street and 2 a half a block away. The one this past Saturday involved over 10 shots and happened 100 yards from the police precinct. The forth one happened 2 blocks behind the precinct. All in the middle of crowds.

I know some people that can't stay in their own apartment on weekends because it's been hit twice by bullets. If these ordinances stop these block parties then I'm all for it. Hasn't been a shooting in downtown Mobile in years besides these illegal block parties that started in June and the one someone organized last year.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:16 PM

499 posts, read 476,748 times
Eshore78 is right. These crowds would not be a problem if they were not driving business away. The violent acts alone could destroy 30 years and hundreds of millions of dollars in investments if allowed to continue. I'm a huge supporter of downtown and often battle people that say it is unsafe. Honestly, its starting to get harder to defend my position with all the shootings recently. IT NEEDS TO STOP!!

Old 08-18-2016, 08:54 PM

44 posts, read 61,022 times
Quote:

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. A gunfight is "good clean fun?" Plenty of places like where? Syria? Clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area