Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 01:23 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
Kansas City does seem to be more family friendly as it has a smaller "town" feel.
It definitely does not have a smaller town feel IMO at all. Yes, KC caters way too much to families and much less to professionals. All of the new developments in the suburbs are abhorently ugly for the most part.
Yes, it has a western feel and I never cared much for it. The people are much too laid back and complacent compared to the larger/faster paced eastern cities. KC is about the worst place imaginable for a type A person like myself. It is a good thing I moved away when I got the chance...

Last edited by GraniteStater; 07-30-2009 at 07:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 09:58 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,991 times
Sorry, GraniteStater. I don't understand. On the one hand, according to you, KC doesn't have a smaller-town feel (especially compared to Broseley, MO ), yet it isn't fast-paced enough like the eastern cities to suit you.

I wish San Francisco catered more to families, and given the number of corporations, other businesses, colleges and universities in the Kansas City area, it seems to me like it does a good job catering to families and professionals alike. The Mid-Continent Public Library system serving metro KC (Missouri side) is one of the premier public library systems in the nation as well.

Ugly new developments in Kansas City? Can you show me a place anywhere where new developments are aesthetically pleasing? It's not just Kansas City, and you probably weren't implying that it is. The so-called "green" developments and "smart growth" in my area out here are the architectural equivalent of Medusa's hair! (And they're largely vacant to boot)

We just have different tastes, and I continue to wish you much happiness in what looks like a very beautiful area of the country.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:06 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,376 times
St.Louis is better...unlike KC, St.Louis has things that are one of the best in the country....like the zoo's, hospitals, universities and overall it has more things and areas for young/single people.....StL is like 15 spots ahead of KC when it comes to best places for singles....

Old 07-30-2009, 06:29 AM

200 posts, read 632,698 times
I haven't lived in Kansas City but never got the since that it was smaller than STL though, they feel about the same size. I think mainly because KC Downtown is a little bit bigger than ours, for now at least.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Sorry, GraniteStater. I don't understand. On the one hand, according to you, KC doesn't have a smaller-town feel (especially compared to Broseley, MO ), yet it isn't fast-paced enough like the eastern cities to suit you.
Actually, I have the best of both worlds. I work closer to the crowded coast and live in a rural area. I get my type A needs fulfilled by day while enjoying the peace and quiet of the woods at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
Why do you even post in KC threads or anything about them? You never do anything but complain about KC while at the same time show your great LACK of knowledge about the city...
Studies have proven that KC ranks much lower on the lists for single professionals compared with many other cities. Sure, KC has its share of singles, but not in comparison to other places. I live out in the woods here in NH, but can be close to downtown Boston in under an hour. I can be on top of a local mountain in 20 minutes. KC does not offer that type of lifestyle. Period. I received a 30% increase in pay when I moved here. Is cost of living higher? Yes. However, I expected that so it was no big shock. Is my quality of life better? I feel it is, but everyone has different tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
We just have different tastes, and I continue to wish you much happiness in what looks like a very beautiful area of the country.
Eh, I wish I could get outdoors to enjoy it. It has been raining so much this summer that the trails are a complete muddy mess The weather has been strange everywhere this summer.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 07-30-2009 at 10:11 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 11:18 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
St.Louis is better...unlike KC, St.Louis has things that are one of the best in the country....like the zoo's, hospitals, universities and overall it has more things and areas for young/single people.....StL is like 15 spots ahead of KC when it comes to best places for singles....

Wow 15 spots ahead for best places for singles, and KC is ahead by population growth over all and downtown, compared to STL shrinking pop. We are building more downtown and at a faster pace then STL.

KC is also ahead when listed in top places for families... not sure if STL even made the list, KC made top 10.... so not bad in top 10 for families and top 40 for singles...

The art scene in STL doesn't even come close to comparing to KC art scene...

but I will say the STL zoo kicks KC zoos ass...

Old 07-30-2009, 02:39 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Eh, I wish I could get outdoors to enjoy it. It has been raining so much this summer that the trails are a complete muddy mess The weather has been strange everywhere this summer.
So that's what's been happening with our California rainfall!! Actually, it sounds like the El Nino ocean phenomenon is back, and that could mean torrential winter rains for California and drier winter weather in the Pacific NW.

A few weeks ago, on weather.com I noticed that St. Joe's temps were forecast to dip to around 50 degrees and possibly break record low temperatures there. Then on the radio this morning I heard that Seattle's temperatures were at or near triple digits! Good heavens, 104 degrees to be exact yesterday (the 29th). No one really has any need for air conditioning up there normally. Compared to that, I think the weather in St. Louis and Kansas City has been more monotonous this summer. Anyway, enjoy the rest of your summer, and autumn should be great up there in New England weather-wise!

Old 07-30-2009, 05:10 PM

I think KC offers a very low cost of living, very cheap housing, and lots of cultural ammenities. It has many positive attributes. However, it was time for me to move on to a place that more closely fit my lifestyle.
The only time I have said that KC has not changed was with regard to some of the suburbs, NOT the city itself.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 07-30-2009 at 10:03 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
I
You haven't lived there for some time, and from what I recall, you lived in the suburbs, and only briefly. .
That is not even close to accurate. I lived in the KC metro from 1985 until 2004. I visit family a couple of times a year in the "far flung" JOCO suburbs.
My father has many brothers, and all but one still live in JOCO. Perhaps my perspective is skewed due to the fact that my family and relatives are all so excessively suburban oriented?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:04 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
Wow 15 spots ahead for best places for singles, and KC is ahead by population growth over all and downtown, compared to STL shrinking pop. We are building more downtown and at a faster pace then STL.

KC is also ahead when listed in top places for families... not sure if STL even made the list, KC made top 10.... so not bad in top 10 for families and top 40 for singles...

The art scene in STL doesn't even come close to comparing to KC art scene...

but I will say the STL zoo kicks KC zoos ass...
the city is growing but hey lets not have facts get in the way...there is a 8.0billion dollar project thats in the work in north city...and before this economy meltdown there was lofts and development going up all over downtown

the Art scene in KC doesnt even come close to comparing the STL are scene.

STL suburbs are great for families.

KC is not even the top 10 for familes and St.Louis did make the list. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24713234/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri