Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:15 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,383,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
dammit...the system won't let me rep you, gotta spread some more luv around first ...... ....hey anybody out there with some free repping abilities please send some to LJ for me ....thank you...thank you all very much
Gosh, thanks jammer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Ah tried, ah really did. But told to spread this stuff rooooouunndd. guess ah be given her way toooo much.
that was good tho'
...an you too Northwoods...I love you guys too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 08:18 PM

Angry Turtles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
There are methods other than driving them away that can be used, but at the risk of offending any animal lovers, I will not go there.
Well after last year and that darn ol grandaddy turtle ate ALL of my melons, I'm up for the extreme method!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-03-2007, 05:57 AM

774 posts, read 1,418,993 times
Default spreading the love

Good Morning everyone.

Have been busy packing boxes to haul back to MO. Was not able to sit and read all the new posts until this morning. So I have been busy sending out some loving reps.
Marigolds are a great deterrent for those pesky critters we love to hate. And they make a beautiful border to the garden too.
Citronella plants are good for keeping the mosquitoes away too! And I love the lemony smell they give off.
Couple more days of boxing and packing before heading back to MO.

May God smile on you all.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:34 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,575,909 times
Default Ahhggggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Gosh, thanks jammer...

...an you too Northwoods...I love you guys too...
Still won't let me do the things I wanna do...Like spreaad some of this lovin stuffs around. Gave many today, thought could get to you, BUT, no, the powers that be are in charge. Will keep trying, maybe I'll sneak one in for ya yet

Old 08-04-2007, 02:07 PM

Red face Love ya too, darlin...

Quote:
Still won't let me do the things I wanna do...Like spreaad some of this lovin stuffs around. Gave many today, thought could get to you, BUT, no, the powers that be are in charge. Will keep trying, maybe I'll sneak one in for ya yet
There's my racing girlfriend...

Old 08-04-2007, 02:51 PM

137 posts, read 610,311 times
I thot it wuz bout gardens??? LOL had to, cudn't hep it, I wuz brought up bad......

Old 08-05-2007, 06:22 AM

774 posts, read 1,418,993 times
It's raining here in Indiana this morning, wish I could send some to MO for my garden with all that heat down there my garden is gonna have FRIED tomatoes on the vine.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:19 AM

Wink Was that a "dig".....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy4570 View Post
I thot it wuz bout gardens??? LOL had to, cudn't hep it, I wuz brought up bad......
Tsskk Tsskk Tsskk...shame on us gettin off thread...what would we do without ya, Indy?

I sorry.

I just can't keep from lappin up the love where I see it.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:48 AM

137 posts, read 610,311 times
Well to tell the truth it don't make much of a difference to me but there are those out there that get sticky bout them things an even delete posts!but really I was makin fun of the system more than anything But don't get me wrong, I love this site and the chance to meet so many in text with the same love for gardening an Missouri an such

had to use the g-word to stay on topic lol
Really, I used to be what was called a gatekeeper on a site and my job was to keep it clean for the kids that came to the site, G-rated an all and I do see a need for that in some sites but some rules out there are just a tad...well excessive But I don't care what anybody writes anywhere if it makes em happy I was jus funnin

Last edited by Indy4570; 08-05-2007 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: correcctions additions

Old 06-01-2009, 10:51 PM

9 posts, read 69,820 times
Voyager, hi

raised beds and rocks, compost bin or pile

you can have raised beds with timbers, bricks, rocks, etc - or just dig out the paths between them and let them hold themselves up

same with compost bins - you're in nature's territory so most of the work is done for you by microscopic critters. You can go very technical and build a compost pile with measured amounts of green stuff and brown stuff - equal amts of woody material and greenstuff - with layers of fertilizer, manure, blood meal, etc.

OR you can go easy on yourself and just pile the stuff into a bin and let time take care of it - weeds, kitchen waste (no animal products except eggshells), grass clippings (only if no lawn chemicals on them), animal bedding, fresh manure and the like. Water it so it's damp or moist, not wet. Like a wrung out sponge. You can just pile it up and wait, or
you can turn it periodically if you want.

In theory a bin 4 ft by 4 ft and properly constructed should get hot enough to kill all weed seeds except tomatoes, but I've never achieved that perfection.

We built 3 bins side by side, 4 feet cubed. Fill one on the outside and when it's full, start feeding the other outside bin; you can water them as needed. After a few weeks you turn the contents of first bin into the middle bin. Continue putting your new material in the other outside bin. Few more weeks you can turn the material in the middle back to the first bin and fill the middle with the second bin. We use a pitchfork. After a while you have coarse dark good smelling stuff you can use as mulch, letting it finish breaking down out in the garden.

OR

You can just pile the stuff in the first bin, start the second and ignore the middle and wait a year. After years of turning my compost I got old and lazy and just let them sit there til nature does its work. Now I go out in the spring and take the stuff out of last year's compost bin and spread it on the garden, or sift it through hardware cloth and fill toilet paper rolls with it for homemade "peat" pots -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri