Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:56 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,382,632 times

Advertisements

...the first place we bought had a great garden area...they had worked it for 40 years...and still every spring you had to "pick" the rocks out.

MISSOURI GROWS ROCKS!

My yard is so rocky (and some of it solid "shelf" rock) that I'd be as good off to just hose off the dirt and have a cool rock yard.

Love Missouri. It's a trade off.

Gangs...or rocks.
High taxes...or rocks.
Mega Crime...or rocks.
Pretentious social climbers...or rocks.
I'm cool with rocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 09:49 PM

543 posts, read 2,310,535 times
Here is a great website for gardening in the Ozarks:

Gardening in the Ozarks

There ain't no rocks in them thar Ozark hills!! My dad stacked railroad ties to build up his garden and hauled in dirt from the hollows where trees and leaves had laid rotting for years. He has the best luck with his garden, I just brought home tons of tomatoes. Of course he has a pump on the dock and waters with the lake water.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:04 PM

5 posts, read 14,589 times
One of our friends, also a former Iowan, told us how to garden here in the Ozarks. "First, you buy a pick ax...."

I tried tomato & pepper plants, sunflowers & zinnias in a raised bed that was already here. The rabbits, squirrels and deer enjoyed it very much. (We live in the country in the woods.) Then I tried tomato plants in pots on the porch. After watering every day (sometimes twice) and getting about 5 quarter-size tomatos, I decided I could buy big wonderful tomotoes of all varieties at the local farmers market!

Old 08-01-2007, 10:39 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,634,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
...the first place we bought had a great garden area...they had worked it for 40 years...and still every spring you had to "pick" the rocks out.

MISSOURI GROWS ROCKS!

My yard is so rocky (and some of it solid "shelf" rock) that I'd be as good off to just hose off the dirt and have a cool rock yard.

Love Missouri. It's a trade off.

Gangs...or rocks.
High taxes...or rocks.
Mega Crime...or rocks.
Pretentious social climbers...or rocks.
I'm cool with rocks.
dammit...the system won't let me rep you, gotta spread some more luv around first ...... ....hey anybody out there with some free repping abilities please send some to LJ for me ....thank you...thank you all very much

Old 08-01-2007, 10:42 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Default Rodents

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
Wow, ShadowCaver! Thanks for all the tips and links! As usual, you are "johnny on the spot"!

Hey, Voyager! Bummer 'bout them 'matoes! My husband put a 3 foot wire fence around his raised bed and that has kept the squirrels out of ours. We have seen turtles here, too. I never knew they'd go after them. Duh, huh? To be honest, I only thought about the rabbits being a problem. Feelin' silly, now.
At least that is what I now consider those furry tailed critters. You would think that a 3' mesh fence would do the trick...but sadly, no such luck. they just climb right on over Trouble with turtles: they usually just take a bite out of the biggest,most delectable one nd then just leave it lay there

Old 08-01-2007, 10:45 PM

Default boo hoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
dammit...the system won't let me rep you, gotta spread some more luv around first ...... ....hey anybody out there with some free repping abilities please send some to LJ for me ....thank you...thank you all very much
Ah tried, ah really did. But told to spread this stuff rooooouunndd. guess ah be given her way toooo much.
that was good tho'

Old 08-01-2007, 10:48 PM

Default Rocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagator54 View Post
Some of the rocks are really pretty and unusual. And we have found a Spear Head on the property! It is to big to be an arrow head. And I am always looking for more.
Ah, but might this be a 'tool' of some kind? Or maybe used to bring down larger animals? Lucky find!

Old 08-02-2007, 05:30 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,727 times
My aunties all are part of garden clubs etc.... they told me years ago to plant marigolds in my garden ..something about the smell other animals dont like ........

the last time I put my garden in .. i planted marigolds around the border ... marking rows ........ and ever so often into the middle of the garden... I live in the country and I have never had other animals eat any of my plants ..not even my hostas and deer love them .........marigolds are suppose to be good for mosquito's too.. they dont like them much either!

Old 08-02-2007, 07:10 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,232 times
Easy turtle trap:
1. Buy a plastic tub with very straight sides, deep enough that a turtle can't climb out.
2. Dig a hole to put the tub in(O.K. that part might require a *****x) in your garden, flush with the ground.
3. Put a nail into the end of a piece of board, about 2 feet long and wide enough for the turtle to walk on.
4. Push a juicy ripe tomato,strawberry or other garden delight onto the nail and lay the board on the ground with the bait over the tub to make a see-saw.
5.Check in the morning to see guilty turtle stuck in tub. Drive turtle 1 mile down road to neighbor's garden.
6. Sell excess produce to aforementioned neighbor, who has a real problem with wildlife eating his veggies.

My in-laws always used human hair from her beauty shop around the edge of the garden. The human smell keeps critters away. Must be replaced after a heavy rain. Watch out for raccoons when the corn gets ripe-they climb the stalks and bend them over!

Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 PM

Default 'coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Easy turtle trap:
1. Buy a plastic tub with very straight sides, deep enough that a turtle can't climb out.
2. Dig a hole to put the tub in(O.K. that part might require a *****x) in your garden, flush with the ground.
3. Put a nail into the end of a piece of board, about 2 feet long and wide enough for the turtle to walk on.
4. Push a juicy ripe tomato,strawberry or other garden delight onto the nail and lay the board on the ground with the bait over the tub to make a see-saw.
5.Check in the morning to see guilty turtle stuck in tub. Drive turtle 1 mile down road to neighbor's garden.
6. Sell excess produce to aforementioned neighbor, who has a real problem with wildlife eating his veggies.

My in-laws always used human hair from her beauty shop around the

edge of the garden. The human smell keeps critters away. Must be replaced after a heavy rain. Watch out for raccoons when the corn gets ripe-they climb the stalks and bend them over!
Now there you went and mentioned my least favorite wildlife critter. I at one time thought 'oh, aren't they just sooo cute?' Yeah, right. That was before I became aware of the destructive nature of those rotten, dirty, creepy, varmints.

They steal into your garden in the dead of night, climb anything that is there, knock over hummingbird feeders, and sometimes break them. Walk along a wire to the other bird feeders and hang upside down and chew madly away at all of the feed that you so generously set out for your feathered friends. And, in the process, breaking said feeder or two.

Like turtle removing, you have to set a trap and when you catch the lil' darlins, you drive them at least 5 miles down the county road. They do come back tho' There are methods other than driving them away that can be used, but at the risk of offending any animal lovers, I will not go there.

Today I picked the last of my red delights. . Only as few cherry ones are left.

So, no garden for the rest of this year. Will go to the nearest Farmer's Market and enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri