Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:22 AM

988 posts, read 1,827,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
It is when you go to a restaurant on Sunday and cannot order a glass of wine because of some silly law.
What restaurant was that, in MN? In past jobs as a server we never had a "no Sunday wine" prohibition. In fact, if you were so inclined you could buy a bottle, have a glass and then take the rest home if you wished. Once it was opened our understanding is it was still considered an "on-sale" purchase (and I was never called on it...).

Admittedly, you're paying the restaurant markup but decide what's most important to you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 10:24 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
What restaurant was that, in MN? In past jobs as a server we never had a "no Sunday wine" prohibition. In fact, if you were so inclined you could buy a bottle, have a glass and then take the rest home if you wished. Once it was opened our understanding is it was still considered an "on-sale" purchase (and I was never called on it...).

Admittedly, you're paying the restaurant markup but decide what's most important to you...

That's the way it was in Michigan. Stupid.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:29 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
Quote:
It is when you go to a restaurant on Sunday and cannot order a glass of wine because of some silly law.
As mentioned, only off sale is prohibited on Sundays.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
That's the way it was in Michigan. Stupid.
Ahh...I understand now, at least from the viewpoint of why you were commenting you couldn't get a glass of wine in a restaurant on Sunday.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:08 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,339,666 times
I was originally in favor of Sunday liquor sales. But after talking to a liquor store owner, he changed my mind. (to indifference, really) The store owners are adamantly against changing the liquor laws.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:28 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I was originally in favor of Sunday liquor sales. But after talking to a liquor store owner, he changed my mind. (to indifference, really) The store owners are adamantly against changing the liquor laws.
Their position is the same as the car dealers'. They're only going to sell so many cars (or so much booze.) Being open on Sunday is not going to increase their sales, only their costs.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:38 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Their position is the same as the car dealers'. They're only going to sell so many cars (or so much booze.) Being open on Sunday is not going to increase their sales, only their costs.
So they can choose to stay closed then. There would not be a new law requiring them to be open on Sunday. There would just no longer be a religion based law prohibiting them from being open on Sunday.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:56 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
So they can choose to stay closed then. There would not be a new law requiring them to be open on Sunday. There would just no longer be a religion based law prohibiting them from being open on Sunday.

In Michigan, only a few car dealers are open on Saturday. None on Sunday. Regarding weekend hours, leave it up to the dealer to decide to open or not.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:15 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Is it really that hard to buy your liquor on Saturday for your Sunday drinking? It wasn't that long ago that NO stores or restaurants were open on Sunday. It really isn't a big deal.
If you're somehow always able to plan out everything you do with at least a day of advance and in addition, you are always setting aside an appropriate time in your schedule to purchase whatever liquor is needed on Saturday, then no, it isn't a big deal. As someone who doesn't always like to plan and appreciates living life with the element of spontaneity, I find this law to be a huge annoyance. Anyone who has drank 3.2 beer at any time in their life would probably agree with me as well.

I am a proponent of banishing this law.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:56 AM

As a more-libertarian-than-Republican, I can probably go along with the idea of not approving of your personal, voluntary decision to buy alcohol on Sunday as long as it doesn't affect my life. You're not hurting me and you're not answering to me for your actions.

That said, as I read comments I have to sincerely ask - is it really that much of an inconvenience? Are you really not capable of thinking 12-24 hours in advance? Do you really let your personal household stocked items run that close to empty? Do you run the gastank in your car at a continual all but "gauge on the 'E'? Do you go to the grocery store everyday of your life because you don't stock up for a few days (or weeks, as the case may be)? Do you never plan for possible interruptions in the supply of your general needs, especially if you live in the city where you are dependent on big stores to supply your food and beverage needs? What would you do if the stores all closed down for several days or weeks? Let's think Katrina, if you need encouragement (not that there aren't other examples). Do you manage to plan ahead for washing clothes so you have something clean to wear tomorrow?

I'm not trying to be a jerk just for the sake, but wondering if it's really the issue it's being made out to be by some, especially for something as non-essential as a beer (said by someone who is far too much a fan of beer)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota