Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 03:12 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,239,561 times

Advertisements

Blue Laws need to go away. The ban on Sunday car sales is another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 03:36 PM

6 posts, read 18,659 times
How do alcoholics survive in Minnesota on Sundays?????

Old 06-08-2012, 05:02 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,525,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbridgedave View Post
They spend there money in Wisconsin

Old 06-08-2012, 05:44 PM

812 posts, read 2,174,950 times
I think it's the liquor stores who oppose Sundays the most, isn't it?

I don't care about that much but I sure wish I could buy a car on a Sunday.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:40 PM

23,243 posts, read 29,093,501 times
Given the budget deficits that states, counties, cities are facing today, I'm surprised, as an ex-MN resident, that these laws haven't been swept away, allowing more sales taxes to be generated.

But it could be worse, as I've spent time in St. George, Utah and I had a devil of a time finding the two state-run liquor stores in the city, and when I finally found one it was closed at 6pm! So now I bring any liquor along when traveling to Utah!

I had friend who owned a home in one of those dry counties in Texas, and if she ran out of liquor, it was a 35 mile drive for her!

You get spoiled her living in Las Vegas, where you can buy liquor 7/24. Run out? Scoot over to Wal-Mart or a 24-hour grocery store and buy a bottle at 3am! But what has any increased sales tax done for Nevada, we're still broke!

Old 06-09-2012, 01:57 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,473,556 times
Liquor laws are lame and outdated. I used to live in Nebraska and thought it was stupid that you could buy beer or wine before noon on Sunday but not hard liquor. States that still have "dry counties" really crack me up.
I have heard but never experienced some counties I think are in Kansas where they have clubs where you bring your own bottle of liquor. You have to give it to the bartender and then pay a couple bucks for each drink from the bottle you brought (and paid for).

Old 06-09-2012, 06:25 AM

988 posts, read 1,830,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbridgedave View Post
You can still drink in bars or restaurants, just not from liquor stores. It's only "off-sale" that is prohibited on Sundays.

Or, as mentioned generally - you do the "Hudson Turnaround" (if you're in the cities); hop on I-94 and drive about 30-40 minutes to the river and WI border. Take the exit 1 mile in for Hudson and to the stores there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Given the budget deficits that states, counties, cities are facing today, I'm surprised, as an ex-MN resident, that these laws haven't been swept away, allowing more sales taxes to be generated....Scoot over to Wal-Mart or a 24-hour grocery store and buy a bottle at 3am! But what has any increased sales tax done for Nevada, we're still broke!
I'm not sure there would be that much of an actual increase in sales - it's just being dispersed over other days (probably mostly Saturday), other than the above mentioned people who really want their booze on Sunday and are willing to drive to Hudson. I think even the Hudson stores say it isn't that much MN business.

As far as the NV sales taxes - yet another example (of which NV isn't alone, come to MN and find out) that it isn't a revenue problem with state government, it's a spending problem. Too many politicians cutting deals for pet projects to constituents wanting their handouts and goodies. Why be grown up and responsible spending only your own money when you can get government to take from someone else and give it to you in the name of "compassion" or "investment"?

Old 06-09-2012, 06:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
Is it really that hard to buy your liquor on Saturday for your Sunday drinking? It wasn't that long ago that NO stores or restaurants were open on Sunday. It really isn't a big deal.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:09 AM

988 posts, read 1,830,572 times
It really isn't that big a deal, but it's the perception that makes it a big deal. Just like when we were all kids and mom and dad said no, that's exactly when we wanted to do whatever...

Old 06-09-2012, 09:12 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,634,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Is it really that hard to buy your liquor on Saturday for your Sunday drinking? It wasn't that long ago that NO stores or restaurants were open on Sunday. It really isn't a big deal.

It is when you go to a restaurant on Sunday and cannot order a glass of wine because of some silly law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota