Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:28 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I'm almost afraid to ask but what are mock chicken legs
See Mock Chicken Legs Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

I'm not a fan but my brother brings back large amounts from Zup's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 03:48 PM

54 posts, read 137,830 times
Hey Everyone-

Thanks for all of the replies. Some good stuff there.

I actually haven't been to Ely, and would love to pre-visit, but might not be able to...I've heard good reviews from friends of mine who are into dogsledding and have visited though. Where I'm living in Northern Maine it got to be -50 (the record for the state) a few years back, that was a pretty intense winter, my car didn't start for days. I'm hoping that -60 isn't an everyday occurrence in Ely

As for the teaching thing, that is all very interesting. Here in Maine there are many teaching jobs in rural areas for the taking...people just don't seem to want to be there. I was kind of hoping Northern MN would be the same.
What about Indian reservation schools? I'm not really sure where they are in MN, but I thought there was a big settlement of Native Americans in the area somewhere. My husband started teaching on a reservation in Montana and loved the kids, he would be pretty happy to teach on a reservation again.

Mock chicken legs! Did they run out of chickens?

Old 05-03-2012, 10:19 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
I live not too far south of Ely in the winters. It's a great place to live - I love it! But, Clifford's description of the local culture is accurate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
The culture is sort of divided between the "bark eaters" and the "locals". That is oversimplified a great deal but there is a lot of polarization on environmental type issues and the city politics are always a bit messy.
I've always called it granolas v. Iron Rangers, but we mean the same thing. For probably a century the "locals" have disliked & resented "pack sackers". There's a local bumper sticker that I love, which says "Have you been rude to a tourist today?" That makes me laugh! I'm not a really a granola, but I'm not a native - which means that among the older residents I'll never really be accepted. That doesn't bother me, but it does bother others.

Many of my friends are teachers, and they all will tell you that local connections are what you need to get a job. There are exceptions - if you have a Special Ed. degree you can pretty much write your own ticket. Because of declining enrollment most area schools are cutting teaching positions (and other positions). You might get lucky, though, who knows?

Anyway, if you love the outdoors and a strong bar culture you would probably enjoy the Ely area a lot, and you WILL find friends. I don't know about employment, though.

I like Ely better than Grand Marais now. Both were working class towns which have been infiltrated by the wealthy. Ely has a nice healthy aura of tackiness still, while GM is now just too too too. Not much authentic about it anymore. Well, places change, and I guess it's authentic for what it is.

I'm going to warn you about dog sled teams, though. Too many people are out there thinking "How fun to have nice doggies to play with in the woods!" Dog teams are WORK and EXPENSIVE! A team takes a huge amount of time - training, exercising, care & feeding, etc. All too frequently newbies will try it for awhile, then give up. Guess where their dogs end up? In the local shelters, or shot, or starving to death and eaten by whatever. It is so sick. Before you get into dogsledding volunteer with someone who has a team for at LEAST a year so that you understand what goes into it.

If it were me I might be looking at Ashland, Wisconsin - the college there is a good size, and there might be more other types of jobs in that area.

Not to discourage you or anything! Come on up!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 PM

Ooops - also wanted to say that yes, there are several different reservations belonging to various bands of the Ojibwe nation. Most of the Ojibwe schools have a Native preference in hiring - which is only logical and right. But if you want to look into it, look at the Bois Forte Nett Lake website: Bois Forte Band of Chippewa

Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 AM

413 posts, read 763,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
If it were me I might be looking at Ashland, Wisconsin - the college there is a good size, and there might be more other types of jobs in that area.

Not to discourage you or anything! Come on up!
There aren't much for jobs in Ashland to be honest. I've looked, and if you want to see a real divide between locals and environmentalist types (which is basically what Northland College is) it's quite harsh in Ashland.

Plus, if you wanted a job at the college, it won't pay squat. I looked at a mid-level administrative job once at Northland, and the pay was around $25,000 starting.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:31 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
O.K. I'm confused. Are you a "wife" or a "Husband". Inquiring minds want to know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmon View Post
Hello All,

.... My wife has a job offer there and we are seriously thinking of moving. We both are very into outdoor activities, and well, Ely seems to have ...

Thanks!
Quote:
I just have to add my blackfly story.
A few years ago my DH decided to go camping in Northern New Brunswick in late June, .....

Quote:
...My husband started teaching on a reservation in Montana and loved the kids, he would be pretty happy to teach on a reservation again.

Mock chicken legs! Did they run out of chickens?

Quote:
My wife's job may be relocating her to the Savanna area...

Quote:
Thanks Rance,

Also my wife wants to know if there are natural foods stores in the area...

Quote:
I do like it here though, I like the outdoors, the slower pace of life, all that, so that is why I'm considering making a go of it. My wife has a steady income, so we wouldn't be totally dependent on the business.
I suppose now-a-days, a person can be both a husband and a wife. I always wanted to be a wife (this husband thing that I've been doing for 26 years is getting old), so that's why I'm asking.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:41 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
O.K. I'm confused. Are you a "wife" or a "Husband". Inquiring minds want to know?

I suppose now-a-days, a person can be both a husband and a wife. I always wanted to be a wife (this husband thing that I've been doing for 26 years is getting old), so that's why I'm asking.

My guess is that they are both posting on this account.

I'm sure your wife would be happy for you to take over the "wife" things for a while

Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 PM

54 posts, read 137,830 times
MN_born- Sadly, we are two people, interesting idea though Alas, my wife often sneaks on at night and uses my account.

601- Thanks for the information, we move a lot so I'm not going to be upset if I'm never considered a local, though I have relatives in MN, hey that counts for something right? About the dogsledding, it was my friend who was a musher, for a touristy dogsled operation, I have no interest in taking care of a bunch of dogs...one is enough!

I'm guessing there are plenty of tourism related seasonal jobs eh? Are there many Nordic ski resorts open in the winter? I worked at a Nordic center for many years.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:49 PM

Yes, there are seasonal jobs in lodges, campgrounds, some restaurants & stores, for DNR and NPS and etc. They pay squat, which is why a lot of kids from various foreign countries come here in the summers to work on short term work visas and have an American adventure. (Another reason why the barrs are busy.) Lodge jobs sometimes also require live-in, which might take you away from your husb - wif - uh, the other one.

There is a good ski area south of Ely - Giants Ridge. If you ski you definitely can pick up work there. www.giantsridge.com

Old 05-04-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsid View Post
There aren't much for jobs in Ashland to be honest. I've looked, and if you want to see a real divide between locals and environmentalist types (which is basically what Northland College is) it's quite harsh in Ashland. Plus, if you wanted a job at the college, it won't pay squat. I looked at a mid-level administrative job once at Northland, and the pay was around $25,000 starting.
Wow, that's useful information! Makes me sad, though - I love Ashland.

Well a lot of places which are fun to visit have a harsher behind-the-scenes story.

Just like Ely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota