Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 05:02 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I know my lawn growth starts slowing down soon after early July... summer is winding down then and will be soon ovah!

Anybody going to the State Fair?
Really? You must live in a different climate than me because I'm still mowing my lawn in late October, early November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 07:37 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Really? You must live in a different climate than me because I'm still mowing my lawn in late October, early November.
Oh me too, but the mowing frequency quickly drops in July as the grass slows down. I believe it has to do with the hours and intensity of the day light and less with the temps.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:04 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,916,376 times
Quote:
You're making fun of Minnesota weather and you are from Seattle! LOL! If thats not the pot calling the kettle black.
Everytime I see a national weather map I think to myself, thank God I dont live in the Pacific Northwest... I'd take our weather over that crap any day of the year.

Its been a cool, wet spring because of la nina, but the pacific NW has also been cooler.

Btw. It hasnt snowed here since late March and there is no snow in my forecast. Windy and 51F tomorrow, but sunny and 60's the next few days. I need to mow the lawn tomorrow.
No. I am from New York City and lived there most of my life(18 years). For the past year I live in both Seattle and NYC. I am living in Seattle another year before moving back to NYC. I like both cities.

But yes, I am still making fun of Minnesota weather. PCNW weather in the winter is mild compared to the 5-6 month arctic winters of Minnesota. I still think I would pick PCNW weather over Minnesota weather. Also, Minnesota still gets tons of cloudy and overcast days. It really isn't that much sunnier than the PCNW.

Also, the Pacific Northwest has world class nature scenery while Minnesota nature scenery just doesn't compare to that. PCNW also has Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland which are cities I like much more than Minneapolis.

Well, come to think of it, at least the Midwest has Chicago. I definitely like Chicago. Minneapolis is a far distant second from Chicago for that region of the world. Surprised there are no other places in the Midwest that comes close to Chicago.

Last edited by ; 05-06-2011 at 01:12 AM..

Old 05-06-2011, 05:56 AM

7 posts, read 12,460 times
Quote:
You're making fun of Minnesota weather and you are from Seattle! LOL! If thats not the pot calling the kettle black.
Everytime I see a national weather map I think to myself, thank God I dont live in the Pacific Northwest... I'd take our weather over that crap any day of the year.

Its been a cool, wet spring because of la nina, but the pacific NW has also been cooler.

Btw. It hasnt snowed here since late March and there is no snow in my forecast. Windy and 51F tomorrow, but sunny and 60's the next few days. I need to mow the lawn tomorrow.

I love how minnesotans get defensive about the weather. Like it is some sort of competition! C'mon fellow Minnesotans, you have to agree...the weather in this state has been awful for 2011. It's okay to admit it.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:45 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,137,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Well, come to think of it, at least the Midwest has Chicago. I definitely like Chicago. Minneapolis is a far distant second from Chicago for that region of the world. Surprised there are no other places in the Midwest that comes close to Chicago.
Surprised?? There no other places like Chicago in the entire US, except your NYC.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjblu View Post
I love how minnesotans get defensive about the weather. Like it is some sort of competition! C'mon fellow Minnesotans, you have to agree...the weather in this state has been awful for 2011. It's okay to admit it.
I'm not getting defensive becuase I think its some kind of competition, but when people say we have 8 months of winter! I mean, come on!
Yes, our winters are cold, so what? They don't last 8 months.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
No. I am from New York City and lived there most of my life(18 years). For the past year I live in both Seattle and NYC. I am living in Seattle another year before moving back to NYC. I like both cities.

But yes, I am still making fun of Minnesota weather. PCNW weather in the winter is mild compared to the 5-6 month arctic winters of Minnesota. I still think I would pick PCNW weather over Minnesota weather. Also, Minnesota still gets tons of cloudy and overcast days. It really isn't that much sunnier than the PCNW.

Also, the Pacific Northwest has world class nature scenery while Minnesota nature scenery just doesn't compare to that. PCNW also has Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland which are cities I like much more than Minneapolis.

Oh yeah, I forgot. NYC is a tropical paradise with perfect weather. I will have to remember to bring my pina colada glasses and coconut bra when I go to Manhattan next month

Old 05-06-2011, 11:13 AM

927 posts, read 2,466,283 times
Quote:
I'm not getting defensive becuase I think its some kind of competition, but when people say we have 8 months of winter! I mean, come on!
Yes, our winters are cold, so what? They don't last 8 months.
Not 8 months, but 6 months...

In general, I'd say most Minnesotans are pretty defensive about weather.

They'll uses phrases, "oh it's not that bad" or "I love the change of seasons" or "Winter really only lasts a few months" all the time.

And the "beautiful" summers that every Minnesotan claims to have? When it humid and buggy beautiful weather?

Just trying to stir the pot here..

Old 05-06-2011, 03:31 PM

75F wounderful degrees today! The tree buds are a poppin!

Old 05-06-2011, 04:13 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,675,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjblu View Post
Have you read through this thread? I don't think that anyone is arguing that the winter season of 2010-2011 hasn't been harsh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota