Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:11 PM

812 posts, read 2,173,388 times

Advertisements

I know several people who live in Minneapolis who say they'd never put their kids in Minneapolis schools. In the 2008-2009 school year Minneapolis schools had 1509 open enroll into the district and had 12978 leave the district. The district had 33886 enrolled that school year, there's a hefty percentage of kids leaving and not a sign of a district people are in love with. You obviously live in a part of the city with those who are happy with the district and that's wonderful but it appears that's not the the case for everyone.

Minneapolis may very well be the best place on the planet for schools, certainly not everyone I know is unhappy but the perception does affect a lot. I don't know why each family makes those choices, it's personal, but I do think it's case of families not liking what they see, whether it's from experience or perception. The unhappier the residents are with the district you'll have more people who either move, go private or open enroll and that is something I see happening where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 06:18 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,879 times
Quote:
When it comes to college admissions, at least, the city public schools (at least some of them) have a great reputation, so no need to fear there. Some of the public schools in the suburbs also have excellent reputations. If I were going to go for a suburban district based on perception alone I'd go with St. Louis Park; the schools are supposed to be great (and everyone I know who has had kids there or who has graduated from there has been happy), but there's less of a keeping-up-with-the-Jones thing going on than I perceive in some districts. It's a district for smart, motivated kids.
For the same reasons I would recommend Roseville, Mounds View, White Bear Lake, and Mahtomedi. I highly recommend Mounds View - look at living in Shoreview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul