Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 12:19 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times

Advertisements

This has been discussed alot lately so I thought I'd summarize the Minnesota schools that reached Newsweek's list:

93. Edina
146. Southwest - Minneapolis
370. Como Park - St. Paul
393. St. Louis Park
447. St. Anthony
494. Minnetonka
613. Patrick Henry - Minneapolis
683. Mahtomedi
698. Eastview High School - Apple Valley
787. Armstrong - Plymouth
974. Brainerd
995. Stillwater
1006. Wayzata
1045. Highland Park - St. Paul
1143. South - Minneapolis
1145. South St. Paul
1156. Irondale - New Brighton
1194. Hopkins
1284. Eden Prairie
1330. St. Paul Harding - St. Paul
1346. Lyle

"Public schools are ranked according to a ratio devised by Jay Mathews: the number of Advanced Placement, Intl. Baccalaureate and/or Cambridge tests taken by all students at a school in 2006 divided by the number of graduating seniors. All of the schools on the list have an index of at least 1.000; they are in the top 5 percent of public schools measured this way."

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 04-05-2008 at 01:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 05:51 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
This report has been out for a very long time. It only looks at the number of students in the IB program at the Minneapolis schools and how many take the SAT. It doesn't rank them on how well they do on the test or even if they PASS the test. The Star-Trib did a report several months ago stating that at the beginning of the year 99 students were in the IB program in Minneapolis schools, by Christmas that number was down to 45 students. I posted that story on here when it came out. The Minneapolis school ranking is based on 45 kids--very representative . Same thing with the St. Paul schools, it is only based on the IB program kids there, not the general population of the schools.

You also have to consider that the SAT is not the most popular test taken in MN for college entrance exams. Most colleges around here use the ACT. If you want to compare that test it would be more accurate.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:29 AM

1,936 posts, read 5,832,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
This report has been out for a very long time. It only looks at the number of students in the IB program at the Minneapolis schools and how many take the SAT. It doesn't rank them on how well they do on the test or even if they PASS the test. The Star-Trib did a report several months ago stating that at the beginning of the year 99 students were in the IB program in Minneapolis schools, by Christmas that number was down to 45 students. I posted that story on here when it came out. The Minneapolis school ranking is based on 45 kids--very representative . Same thing with the St. Paul schools, it is only based on the IB program kids there, not the general population of the schools.

You also have to consider that the SAT is not the most popular test taken in MN for college entrance exams. Most colleges around here use the ACT. If you want to compare that test it would be more accurate.
But it also takes into account number of AP tests taken which could be a number of non-IB students. And with the ever growing popularity of PSEOT in MN, that could one possible explanation of the decrease in numbers of IB students that you reference if those 45 (or however many) chose to leave IB to start college. And really, PSEOT might just make IB defunct in MN, at least for the last 2 yrs of high school - it would be interesting to know if these numbers were factored into newsweek's report at all).

Old 04-05-2008, 09:11 AM

987 posts, read 3,819,039 times
PSEOT? Explain please?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
But it also takes into account number of AP tests taken which could be a number of non-IB students. And with the ever growing popularity of PSEOT in MN, that could one possible explanation of the decrease in numbers of IB students that you reference if those 45 (or however many) chose to leave IB to start college. And really, PSEOT might just make IB defunct in MN, at least for the last 2 yrs of high school - it would be interesting to know if these numbers were factored into newsweek's report at all).
If you read the disclaimer on this particular report you will see that the Minneapolis schools were ONLY based on the IB programs--this was all discussed in length when the report came out.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
PSEOT? Explain please?

I am guessing that this is the post-secondary opportunities kids have in MN--juniors/seniors in the top 1/3rd of their class can take college courses that double count for high school and college credit. Some kids take 100% of their jr/sr classes at a college and graduate from high school as a jr in college--free except books, etc. It is a great program but I will offer that it will be taken advantage of as much as open enrollment is in Minneapolis, and that is not very much--you still have to drive to the college to take the classes and if you don't have a way to get there, you can't do that.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:35 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
So Golfgal, would it be safe to conclude that in your opinion Southwest High School in Minneapolis offers a poor quality education?

Old 04-07-2008, 09:58 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,832,965 times
Quote:
I am guessing that this is the post-secondary opportunities kids have in MN--juniors/seniors in the top 1/3rd of their class can take college courses that double count for high school and college credit. Some kids take 100% of their jr/sr classes at a college and graduate from high school as a jr in college--free except books, etc. It is a great program but I will offer that it will be taken advantage of as much as open enrollment is in Minneapolis, and that is not very much--you still have to drive to the college to take the classes and if you don't have a way to get there, you can't do that.
Many kids begin living on campus their junior year of high school - there were a lot of PSEOT students the last few years I was at the University that lived on campus. I wish the state I went to high school in had PSEOT, the AP class system doesn't do a whole lot for students.... I think the lure of 2 years of free college education at the school of the student's choice that knocks out both high school graduation requirements and the first 2 years of college simultaneously is a big incentive for all kinds of students that would otherwise do IB

Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Quote:
1. City buses run early and often. There is also opportunity to live on campus as a PSEO student.
2. Why should it matter what a majority of the students do? If the program is open and you take advantage of it, then it is a good school for you. Minnetonka is also a great school, as long as you take challenging courses and do your work. Otherwise, Mtka. is not so great.
3. The books are either free or heavily subsidized, I do not remember which.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:18 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
1. City buses run early and often. There is also opportunity to live on campus as a PSEO student.
2. Why should it matter what a majority of the students do? If the program is open and you take advantage of it, then it is a good school for you. Minnetonka is also a great school, as long as you take challenging courses and do your work. Otherwise, Mtka. is not so great.
3. The books are either free or heavily subsidized, I do not remember which.
Exactly. My daughter took 2 classes at UM St. Paul campus her senior year at Highland Pk. She took the city bus over and I picked her up on my way home from work. Lack of transit options is not good for kids because they can miss these types of opportunites just because they can't get to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul