Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 04:28 PM

292 posts, read 891,963 times

Advertisements

If name brands aren't a huge deal to you give Aldi's a try. You'll still need to shop Cub/Rainbow, but by using Aldi's we've cut our food bill by about 25%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 06:41 AM

32 posts, read 98,471 times
Duk123 brings up a good point. For basic staples, Aldi's rocks. Not to mention, some of their in-store branded products are actually outstanding (I love their frozen cheese stuffed ravioli personally).

Old 08-24-2009, 07:40 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,171,717 times
I know some people in the food resale industry.

Supervalue owns many of the Cub foods. Additionally, Target, Rainbow, Country Markets, Lund's, Byerly's use Supervalue. Meaning, Supervalue is a wholesaler that sells to all of the above stores.

Wallmart and Costco are good alternatives and have no relationship to the near monopoly of Supervalue.

Margins:

I have a friend who is in a meat department manager at corporate of one of these store chains that will be left nameless. He said the margin for Lunds meat department is cost plus 30%. It's 20-25% for the rest of the traditional retailers. He said it is cost plus 10% for Costco and Sams Club. In fact, he said that the cost of overhead for most stores is 10%. So Costco is selling at their operating cost. I don't know what their margin is on their general food items but it is pretty aggressive.

The rational for breaking even is similar to loss leaders: we fill up our cart on higher margin pre-made entries. Of course we all fill the cart full off stuff that we didn't need yesterday.

I do everything I can to buy from Costco (including my gas). Just be careful to only buy what you need.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:18 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLSCleveland View Post
Duk123 brings up a good point. For basic staples, Aldi's rocks. Not to mention, some of their in-store branded products are actually outstanding (I love their frozen cheese stuffed ravioli personally).
For me it's been hit-miss with Aldi's. I like the prices but you have to be a little picky choosy with their products. It's good for canned, frozen and the basics (bread, milk, etc.) but their produce sucks, it isn't fresh. Also, expect there to be one cashier, two max with long lines and waits. Another thing that annoys me is they don't accept credit cards. I'm not a big fan of paying cash or debit, so for me that's an annoyance. In the end, I'll go there to fill up on stuff like canned tuna, cereal, pasta noodles, toiletries and kitchen supplies, etc., but for fresh meats and produce and other groceries I pick up on a weekly basis I'll go somewhere more convenient and that offers higher quality products.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:39 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
For me it's been hit-miss with Aldi's. I like the prices but you have to be a little picky choosy with their products. It's good for canned, frozen and the basics (bread, milk, etc.) but their produce sucks, it isn't fresh. Also, expect there to be one cashier, two max with long lines and waits. Another thing that annoys me is they don't accept credit cards. I'm not a big fan of paying cash or debit, so for me that's an annoyance. In the end, I'll go there to fill up on stuff like canned tuna, cereal, pasta noodles, toiletries and kitchen supplies, etc., but for fresh meats and produce and other groceries I pick up on a weekly basis I'll go somewhere more convenient and that offers higher quality products.

In order to charge aggressive prices, they need to cut services or quality. Like not accepting credit cards (2% profit leak), or only having one cashier, charging for bags etc.

I agree that the produce is terrible. Again, I like Costco. They do have some items that are inexpensive. I like the fact that I can get in and out quickly since it is a small store.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I like the fact that I can get in and out quickly since it is a small store.
That's what you'd like to think but due to the ridiculous lines the trip ends up taking as long as a cub trip for me and I come away with less product. I'm not sure which Aldi's you go to, but the one on East Lake St and Hiawatha is a zoo. Also, I'd like to be able to see what is available at places like Sam's and Cost-Co, but I'd have a really hard time justifying the annual fee....maybe if I had 5+ kids it'd make sense.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:13 PM

I don't think that anyone would ever claim that Aldi's meet all of their shopping needs but, buy using Aldi's as one part of our food budget allows us to get some of the more expensive higher quality meats and produce that we like.
In our case living right off of Lowry in North we have to drive right pass Aldi's to get to a Cub or Rainbow so it make alot of sense for us to shop there.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk123 View Post
I don't think that anyone would ever claim that Aldi's meet all of their shopping needs but, buy using Aldi's as one part of our food budget allows us to get some of the more expensive higher quality meats and produce that we like.
In our case living right off of Lowry in North we have to drive right pass Aldi's to get to a Cub or Rainbow so it make alot of sense for us to shop there.
I've seen that Aldi's. Honestly, if I lived near that I'd probably be shopping there all the time too. Where I live there are too many other options though, there is a little Mexican supermarket with fresh and relatively affordable meats and produce 2 blocks from my house...so that may be giving me an unfair bias against Aldi's.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:26 PM

I've noticed in the last month or so that the quality and variety of the meat and produce at Aldi's have improved alot. They also seem to be getting in larger variety of other products that remove many of our reasons for running to Rainbow.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,720,624 times
I loved Rainbow until I went there the other day to get $10 in quarters and the customer service guy said, "Oh no, we don't give out change. You can only get $2 in quarters." WTF??? I mean, I'll still shop there and I like it just as much, but why wouldn't they give me quarters? I bought my detergent, bleach, and softener there. I was just trying to do laundry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul