Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 11:58 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Track. You should have bought in Wayzata because that is still in a "Grey Poupon" area. But in zip code 55116 (where you live now) unfortunately gets the "Below Generic Area Award":

You see, people in Edina and Wayzeta are smart enough not to buy a house in an area where the jets are constantly flying overhead. (That is why it's cheaper).
Actually Born N Raised, it is funny you mention jets, because I also almost bought in Edina also, but I could not stand the plane noise. Highland Park in St. Paul rarely gets the air traffic of South Minneapolis or Edina and that is one of the many reasons we decided to buy here. My wife works in the western suburbs, so Edina would have been a better location for us, but we honestly could not take the airplane noise. I remember going to an open house in Edina and during the 10-15 minutes we were out in the yard looking at a house we counted 4 planes that flew over us. Oh well I am off to White Bear Lake, have fun today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 01:54 PM

58 posts, read 150,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueMinnesotanMan123 View Post
Exactly right, I live in Edina and the only arrogance I have ever expirienced is "The reffs only hate us because we're from edina." And for the most part, its true. Everyone hates Edina because we usually have more than them (not trying to be cocky but its true) but you have to realize that we didn't get this handed to us... If we have more than what you have that means we worked harder than you... bottom line. Not my fault that I worked harder than haters and live in a wealthier place.
Some people don't think money is everything in life. If you are making a lot of money you probably went into a career with high pay. But people who are teachers or social workers work very hard, but they chose careers they loved instead of working just for the money. And all the people I know in Edina who are the extremely wealthy ones have all come from wealthy families. So you might have workerd hard to get to your precious Edina, but many have not.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:01 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,136 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love Lake Minnetonka, but who cares if you live on this lake or any other lake around the Twin Cities? In fact, I am really into boating and I will be on my boat tomorrow, but there seems to be a certain stigma about having a house or boat on Minnetonka as opposed to the other lakes in the Twin Cities. I say let them eat cake and I will be happy in my little slice of America that is not in Edina or on Lake Minnetonka.
Lake Minnetonaka, psshhh, Lake Phalen is where it's at!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I don't know if it's snobbery or not, but I do know people who have lived in some of the ritzier suburbs and have found it more difficult to make friends, as doing everything the "right" way seemed to be a bigger deal. I have friends in these areas who are not in the least like that so I know it's certainly not everyone. (I recently heard someone talk about her experience with Edina schools; she said she was happy with her family's experience there, and would continue to stick with them "if I can stand the parents.")

If I heard anyone from Edina refer to themselves as a "cake eater" I'd assume it was just a joke. Edina still has its share of very wealthy people and families, but it also is pretty solidly middle class in many areas. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about someone's perceived income level based on simply an Edina address. And as far as the comments about Eden Prairie go: it wasn't until I started reading this forum that I even realized that some people think Eden Prairie is anything special. I thought it was just another one of the suburbs out that direction, with nothing particularly unique to distinguish it from any other suburb in the general area. I thought of it as "neutral." Not bad, not good, just yet another newish American suburb. I still think of it that way, admittedly; I wouldn't ever live there because it doesn't meet my needs or tastes, but if one likes modern suburbs and works out that direction than it could be a perfectly fine place to live. I'm not going to be impressed, though, or jump to any conclusions about anything other than to think that our tastes in neighborhoods and homes are different. (and parts of Edina I do like; 50th and France isn't strike me as special as a regional draw, but it's a nice commercial district/downtown for people living near there, and there are some nice older homes within walking distance.)

I don't think, though, that I have met anyone who has expected me to be impressed with their Edina or Eden Prairie address; or, alternatively, if they did expect a particular reaction, I missed the cues. Living in Edina or Eden Prairie simply isn't interesting to me, or at least not as anything more than as a point of geographic reference. (I DO like to know where people live and do like to know how different neighborhoods or communities in the Twin Cities and beyond compare, so I suppose I would be interested in that sense).

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 08-16-2010 at 11:07 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 12:31 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
I think Edina needs more bakeries, recent reports have indicated a significant cake shortage and things are only going to get worse in the future.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:21 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
If you think Edina is pretentious, you should check out some of the Atlanta suburbs. Every subdivision has walls and gates with security guards around them, and everyone drives monster SUVs, Porsches or Lexus (or Porsche/Lexus monster SUVs). It is sickening.
Atlanta "suburbs" as such aren't pretentious, but you're quite right that some subdivisions can be. And maybe places like East Cobb. Tho from all accounts Walton really *is* a good school.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:55 AM

15 posts, read 25,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Edina is not the Edina of old. At one time they rivaled places like the Chicago suburbs. The places that you listed are the wealthiest in the Midwest. A few comparables in the TC are North Oaks, Dellwood, Chanhassen, and Shorewood. Not Edina.
So they're more "cupcake-eaters" now?

Old 08-22-2010, 04:12 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,093 times
No Edina arrogance? Seems like it's been demonstrated in spades here...

Old 08-23-2010, 10:20 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,046 times
Our family went for a little outing Saturday night in the 50th & France area, which I love. I checked out the local real estate just for grins...yeah, you pretty much can't get into the area for under $600k. There's a very good reason why builders in Edina demolish $300k houses and build $1-2m houses.

I know there are some pretentious people in places like Eden Prairie, but at least in the older areas of Edina, I've met many very friendly, genuine people. My wife's aunt lives there, so we visit a lot...their neighbors are just outstanding down-to-earth folks.

I'd certainly live there if we could afford it, but I don't want a dumpy 1930s house just for the zip code. You don't get a lot for your money there.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:20 AM

664 posts, read 1,946,498 times
^^ Globe I agree!! I like the area and how close it is to everything but it's just to much $$ for us. Those tiny old homes sell for a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul