Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:46 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,169,023 times

Advertisements

I didn't know this. I thought Cake-Eater was a universal term used by all Americans. Being here in Chicago, I've used the phrase to refer to some of the snobs and no one seems to know what the heck I'm talking about.

Culture shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 12:20 PM

409 posts, read 1,243,139 times
Maybe the reason that Edina takes so much flak for being wealthy is that people in the city actually know what Edina is like and know people who live there. I'm sure if everyone took a trip and drove around Lake Minnetonka, everyone would give the far suburbs more crap, but the fact of the matter is that 95% of people you meet would have no idea what a place like Tonka Bay is like. Besides, why make fun of something that you aren't jealous of? I think a lot of people in the city would actually consider living in some parts of eastern Edina if they could. I doubt anyone raised in the city would want to move to Orono or similar, no matter how much money they had.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:27 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,115,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I was about to mention this point myself Slig- it's curious that whenever this subject is brought up, people often don't talk about the neighborhoods/ towns/ suburbs around Lake Minnetonka- I came into the cities on Hwy 7 today, whenever driving through this area the highway is chock full of high end luxury sedans, convertible sports cars, etc.- if there were palm trees lining the highway, you'd think you were in Beverly Hills.
I don't think it's the wealth in Edina that brings the jealousy as much as Edina's triple combination of wealth, academic excellence, and a tremendous history of sporting success over multiple decades.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:10 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,767,081 times
Speak for yourself - I have no interest in living anywhere in Edina, although if I had to choose I'd pick Edina over Orono. (then again, I have no interest in living in most of SW Minneapolis, either - just not my style) At least Edina is closer to the city and parts of it are within walking distance of commercial cores such as 50th and France, which does have its charms. If I were to choose a suburb, there are parts of Edina that would at least be tolerable. Parts of Edina, SLP, and Richfield would be okay, if not particularly inspiring (I admit that there are some attractive houses in parts of Edina, even if they are a bit of a trek - although not exurb-style trek - from much of anything). If I was going to live farther out I'd just go all the way out and live in a small town.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:49 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,400,343 times
I had the opportunity to see some of the affluent suburbs in Chicago last weekend when we visited some family in Hinsdale (near Oak Brook). If anyone wants to see gross examples of McMansions, you have GOT to see this place. We walked through the neighborhood to get to the Metra Station and we saw several houses that looked very similar to the small modest early 1900's houses in my neighborhood, but right next to those would be massive Spanish style mansions, probably bigger than anything I've seen in Edina. I'm kicking myself now for not taking more pictures. We took a picture of one of the larger mansions but it would've been alot cooler to take a picture of a Mcmansion next to one of the dinky 1500 sq ft houses.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,686 times
Default ???

Im sure chicago has some rich places, like any state...luckily im in a MN thread so i dont have to hear about winnetka and whatever else.

For those of you in MN who think Edina is upper middle class based on average incomes here are some things to consider.

1.There are really only 3 wealthy areas in edina. the historic country club neighborhood, indian hills and lastly and most wealthy is rolling green.

2.Most of the wealth in edina is accumulated not currently being earned in some wage earning 'job'.

There are more billionaires and millionaires in edina than any other city in the state.

Also, some of these cities that people are comparing edina too have populations of gated communities...c'mon 4700 people compared to 47000???

My family has been in edina since before it was a wealthy suburb and i have lived elsewhere but no matter how much money I had i would never move to some 'new development city' like eden prairie or apple valley and think i was in a 'rich' suburb because people actually owned their homes and didnt live paycheck to paycheck...and maybe even had a lexus..WOW!!!

Edina is hated for a few reasons.

1. people like me

2. the rumors are true.

3. the women are beautiful

4. education/sports

5. they dont live here and never will

Old 11-01-2009, 07:52 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,813,165 times
I am not from the area and I just dont get the controversy/fascination with the Edina love/hate - its a nice area yes, but there are many other nice areas, and its not so impressive compared with areas in New York, Chicago, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Houston and Dallas suburbs (and I am certain many others) that hold wealth. I really just dont get it - and dont get me started on beautiful women(based on old money's comment). LOL!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:40 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,767,081 times
I don't live in Edina and never will, but that's because I will choose not to. Nothing against Edina in particular; it's just that it's not that exciting of a place, and if I'm going to go with a suburb I'd choose St. Louis Park. A lot of Edina is bland and ugly (including some of the expensive parts); although some beighborhoods, like Morningside are very nice.

I think DaPerpKazoo is right that the reason Edina gets criticized so much by people from the city, at least, is because it's familiar, at least to those of us on the south/southest part of town. Much of Edina isn't all that impressive or wealthy, but some areas are (although so are some areas of Minneapolis, for that matter). When I was in high school the senior party at Edina HS was reportedly giving away raffle prizes like cars to their graduates; the conspicuous consumption (by MN standards, anyway) made it an easy target, and given that my school was near the border of SLP/Edina/Mpls Edina made more sense than somewhere distant. That didn't stop the Perkins on 50th (in Edina) from being the unofficial high school hangout, though, especially late at night. I guess I don't know what it's like for those who live or grew up on the other side of the city; do the kids from NE Minneapolis even think about Edina? I always assumed it was a SW part of the city thing.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:50 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,032,438 times
It's very irrational and time to get over it. This reminds of the crap people "up north" say about the metro. Same stuff - some would say it's just jealously speaking.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:17 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,373,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't live in Edina and never will, but that's because I will choose not to. Nothing against Edina in particular; it's just that it's not that exciting of a place, and if I'm going to go with a suburb I'd choose St. Louis Park. A lot of Edina is bland and ugly (including some of the expensive parts); although some beighborhoods, like Morningside are very nice.

I think DaPerpKazoo is right that the reason Edina gets criticized so much by people from the city, at least, is because it's familiar, at least to those of us on the south/southest part of town. Much of Edina isn't all that impressive or wealthy, but some areas are (although so are some areas of Minneapolis, for that matter). When I was in high school the senior party at Edina HS was reportedly giving away raffle prizes like cars to their graduates; the conspicuous consumption (by MN standards, anyway) made it an easy target, and given that my school was near the border of SLP/Edina/Mpls Edina made more sense than somewhere distant. That didn't stop the Perkins on 50th (in Edina) from being the unofficial high school hangout, though, especially late at night. I guess I don't know what it's like for those who live or grew up on the other side of the city; do the kids from NE Minneapolis even think about Edina? I always assumed it was a SW part of the city thing.
When I was in high school it was pretty commonplace for senior party prizes to include a car-which were generally donated by a local car dealership. I know our high school had one given away as well as several very large cash prizes, a trip, stereo systems, etc. When I was in high school the issue people had with people from Edina is that they were snobs and stuck-up hence the stereotype that has been perpetrated to this day. We often ran into issues at various sporting events, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul