Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:06 PM

7 posts, read 20,700 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to Minneapolis from Indianapolis. We have 3 children under 4. We currently live in an area where you can walk to shops, restaurants, & parks (lots of sidewalks). From my research, I have found homes in Edina & Plymouth that I like. A great public school & location are important to us. Which area offers more? Edina or Plymouth. Am I missing any neighborhoods? Our price range is $550,000ish. Thanks, Jill

My husband will be working in St. Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 07:19 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
For the sake of your husband's commute, the walkability of the city and for schools, Edina wins hands down.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:07 PM

21 posts, read 67,217 times
Default Plymouth Hands Down

I don't know what the prior poster is talking about. i have worked in Edina and lived in Plymouth. Plymouth is much more laid back and the commute in Edina is much worse. Plymouth wasn't named the #1 city in the nation by Money magazine for nothing. Check out the write-up. Great parks and outdoor opportunities.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:44 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
The commute from Edina to Saint Paul is much better than the commute from Plymouth to Saint Paul. Plymouth is not inherently better than any other Minneapolis suburb, regardless of what Money Magazine says.
Edina is much more pedestrian orientated, at least in the eastern portion of it. Walkability in Plymouth is called Wayzata.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:39 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Where in St. Paul is your husband working? Keep in mind that for whatever reason the post office lists many of the suburbs at "St. Paul". Living in Edina or Plymouth could mean an hour+ commute if his office is really in Maplewood or Apple Valley. You will want to find that out before you commit to any town. There are GREAT towns all across the metro all with wonderful schools and neighborhoods.

If he is right in downtown St. Paul I would look at Mahtomedi or Stillwater before Edina and Plymouth.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:46 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
I agree with Golfgal. Stillwater would fit the bill but the shopping won't be Macy's but rather a fudge shop. Stillwater is BEAUTIFUL!

To echo Minnehahapolitian, while Eden Prairie and Edina are rated well, realize Apple Valley, Bloomington, Woodbury, Maple Grove etc are all great (GREAT) communities. Maybe a quarter stride behind Plymouth but that is it. Proximity to work should be a KEY factor over what you read as the "best" community. It really is too close to worry about. If we are talking about comparing New Hope or Ritchfield to Plymouth, then I would agree that Plymouth is a clear winner (in my mind).

Your problem will be to find a neighborhood within walk to the stores / restaurants. It won't be a problem finding a $500K home with parks. But the Burb's are pretty spread out. If it's a matter of finding a strip mall or two a few blocks away that is doable but if you are looking for a planned development I think it will be tough to find with your constraints.

It sounds like you are in a great position (the fact that you have children under age 4). I'd take a shot at your best guess and rent a nice home. In 4 short months, you will have a much better feeling as to what works out best for you and hone into that area.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:47 AM

7 posts, read 20,700 times
What school districts are Mahtomedi or Stillwater located? Are they top rated? Thanks.

Employer would be Trane (I think on Vandalia St). St. Paul, MN

Old 02-17-2009, 09:04 AM

989 posts, read 2,961,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillAnn09 View Post
What school districts are Mahtomedi or Stillwater located? Are they top rated? Thanks.

Employer would be Trane (I think on Vandalia St). St. Paul, MN
Mahtomedi and Stillwater are east and North of St. Paul. I actually live in Mahtomedi and it is about 10 miles to St. Paul and you have a number of routes that will work. It would be a pretty decent commute compared to Edina, or Plymouth.

Stillwater is east of Mahtomedi and would be 5-10 miles further depending on specific location.

Both are highly rated school districts.

One thing about Mahtomedi/Stillwater vs. Edina/Plymouth to be aware of. They are smaller cities and have more of semi rural feel. Also, they are located in Washington County, which is benificial from a tax perspective.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:50 AM

501 posts, read 1,946,020 times
I agree that if your husband is working in St Paul you'll probably be more comfortable living closer to his work. However, if you're still looking for thoughts on Edina & Plymouth, here's something to consider. You'll want to take note where the Plymouth properties are. Plymouth is split between Wayzata, Hopkins and Robbinsdale school districts. While the Robbinsdale school district isn't awful, I'd choose Wayzata and Hopkins school districts over them quickly.

Having said that, with Mahtomedi or Stillwater as options, they're both great school districts and very nice communities. Much closer to work as well. As long as you don't mind the "rural" feel within minutes of the city, then those two spots sound like great options for your family!

Old 02-17-2009, 01:22 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
The drive from Vandalia Street to Plymouth would still take 20 minutes on a good day. You can find something closer that's just as great too. If you say you like walkable neighborhoods why not check out places in Highland Park or along Summit and Grand in Saint Paul? These are very nice neighborhoods and you'd be 5 minutes from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul