Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 08:14 PM

11 posts, read 57,988 times

Advertisements

We are an Asian Indian family considering possible move to Minneapolis. We have two kids 8 and 4. I would like to have some input on good school districts with diversity and family oriented suburbs. I am not exactly looking for asian indian concentrated neighbourhoods, but definitely for diversity where we can fit in. This would be our first major move from the west coast. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 05:41 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,334,002 times
Do you know where you will be working? You have many, many choices in the Twin Cities Metro. We can help you find one close to your job. There is a fairly high population of Asian Indians in MN for what that is worth.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:41 AM

thanks for responding golfgal. As of now my husband would be based in Minnetonka. My primary concern is very good schools, not much of a commute if he has to commute to the city and a safe, family oriented suburb. We would be renting at first, so reasonable rents too

Old 04-03-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams12 View Post
thanks for responding golfgal. As of now my husband would be based in Minnetonka. My primary concern is very good schools, not much of a commute if he has to commute to the city and a safe, family oriented suburb. We would be renting at first, so reasonable rents too

Easy, Minnetonka, Wayzata and Eden Prairie schools are all excellent, easy commutes, family oriented towns. Wayzata and EP have pretty large high schools if that is a concern. No issues what so ever in any of those communities other the affordability--those are some of the most expensive areas in the metro. If you can afford $400,000+ you will be fine. If you need to be under that, look west of those areas and you will do just fine.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:42 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,836,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Easy, Minnetonka, Wayzata and Eden Prairie schools are all excellent, easy commutes, family oriented towns. Wayzata and EP have pretty large high schools if that is a concern. No issues what so ever in any of those communities other the affordability--those are some of the most expensive areas in the metro. If you can afford $400,000+ you will be fine. If you need to be under that, look west of those areas and you will do just fine.
If diversity is one of your main priorities, I am not sure how you will feel about Minnetonka, Wayzata, and Eden Prairie - these are not very diverse, although Eden Prairie has seen an influx of East African immigrants moving into its locale, all of the areas I would think are not very diverse. If I were the OP and wanted a suburb with diversity I would look into more inner-ring suburbs like Golden Valley, Robbinsdale, Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, Fridley and the like - although I cannot speak as to the schools there. Many persons find that there are Minneapolis/ St. Paul neighborhoods that, although technically being in a more "urban" setting, feel similar to a suburb in that they are very quiet, safe, tree-lined, adjacent to tons of parks/ recreational activities - don't believe the hype you hear about Minneapolis or St. Paul school districts, schools in general are excellent here.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:55 PM

559 posts, read 1,324,840 times
I don't think you will have trouble finding diversity pretty much anywhere in the Twin Cities metro. When you go to a public place, there is a real good mix of people with many diverse backgrounds. Eden Prairie and Minnetonka have good schools. Hopkins and St. Louis Park are also good communities (older than EP and Minnetonka, but many good areas and diverse) I love the Twin Cities area, just wish there was more mass transit available (the western burbs are pretty car dependent, but will hopefully change someday) Minnesota is one of the best states IMO, besides the painfully long winters. Where will you be moving from?

Old 04-04-2008, 05:06 PM

Thank you all who have responded. We will be moving from Los Angeles. I have been doing some research about Edina, but not concrete enough to form an opinion. How is it there???? I read a parent review on Edina High school and found it not very encouraging. I know its a long way for my 8 year old to high school, but I am generally paranoid about him not able to fit in, if its not a very friendly environment. Is it only the high school or general atmosphere of the entire town??????? Here we live in a suburb of LA, not very diverse and the people generally take a very long time to warm up to newcomers. I do not want to go through that again. Thanks!!

Old 04-04-2008, 05:52 PM

Edina is an older, well established suburb that is pretty expensive. There is a lot of 'old money' there. The schools there are very good but the town does have a reputation for being pretty elitist. I don't think that you would have a harder/easier time fitting in in Edina then you would anywhere else in the suburbs. It is an older population and with an 8 year old you might have better luck finding a neighborhood with a lot of kids your son's age out near Wayzata or Plymouth area though. That's not to say that Edina won't have 8 year old but the chance of finding a street full of them isn't as good as it would be in the newer suburbs.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:33 PM

5 posts, read 28,597 times
Default more advice on minneapolis

I lived in LA (long beach) and in the Bay area (oakland, berkeley). you have lots of good choices here in mpls (it's why I came back as I am a minnesota native).

If you like the classic suburban lifestyle with big houses, big yards, golf courses, big malls, excellent big schools (2,000 kid high schools), soccer moms, a million plus school activities, must drive to do anything, you'll be happy in eden prairie, minnetonka, chanhassen, plymouth. there are plenty of asian indian professionals living in those places, decent Indian restaurants, and big beautiful county parks with swimming beaches and bike trails and cross country ski trails.

If you like a lifestyle where you walk to lots of wonderful things to do, check out the southwest minneapolis area. west of lyndale avenue and south of lake calhoun. housing here will seem affordable after living in LA. wonderful bike trails wind around city lakes that you can swim in. terrific public schools (like armitage elementary, lake harriet elementary, barton, mpls southwest high school is always ranked in the top 300 high schools in the U.S.) great restaurants, food coops, free concerts in the parks, tennis programs, sailing programs, southeast asian dance companies. terrific asian indian supermarkets are located in northeast mpls on central ave (you could live up there but the commute to minnetonka would be bad) highway 62 takes you from southwest mpls toward the minnetonka area and its not a bad commute at all (20-30 min. max most days) especially in comparison to the 405 or the 10 in la.

diversity will be better in mpls (I'd say 30% non-white vs. 15% in the suburban towns I mentioned) but you will be absolutely accepted (not stared at) in both places.

it does take time to find real friends here - most natives spend their time with families and friends they've known since high school. you have to be a "joiner" to find friends. volunteer with the asian indian dance companies, join and volunteer at a food coop, teach an indian cooking class, be a soccer mom or volleyball mom or help at the school mom. you have to be patient - dont get bummed out if you keep handing out the dinner invites without getting one in return. join stuff, smile, you'll eventually break through.

make sure you figure out ways to have fun outside in the winter time. otherwise you'll go bonkers for the four months of snow and ice (nov thru feb.) learn to cross country ski or skate or snowshoe or just take hikes through the parks. get good gear and you'll be warm and happy as you move through the beauty of winter.

always, always, always take a vacation to someplace warm in the month of march. it is the worst month - snow melts, then it snows again, then it melts. makes you go nuts. ging away for just a week makes all the difference in the world. spring comes in april, break out that bike and start cruising - you will love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul