Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,546 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am potentially moving to Minneapolis and my job will be based near Wayzata

I am a single person in my mid 30's who earns reasonably good money and wants to live in an interesting area. I dont mind driving upto 30 mins even little more for the right place. I am not sure if where I am going to work will rule some of those wants out.

On that note, how far is Wayzata to the city of Minneapolis, abt 30km?

Thanks for you help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 11:34 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
well it depends on how you define reasonably good money. Will you buy or rent? Do you prefer city or suburban life?

Old 07-06-2008, 11:45 PM

Well I will be on expat salary so I am not sure of the equivalent but maybe around 100-130k. I will be renting. I would prefer city living, I should have mentioned I wld be moving from Australia and the part I am from has european flavour so a good coffee culture, good restaurants , nightlife. Having said that an inner city suburb with leafiness would be great.

Thanks for help

Old 07-07-2008, 09:33 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,557 times
There's a wide range of attractive places to live. My recommendations are as follows:

Downtown Mpls: Provides a convenient reverse commute to Wayzata via I-394. Areas to consider include: Loring Park (check out the Eitel City Apts, Loring City Apts, or (a bit older, but with high-rise views: Marquette Place). These areas are convenient to the lively South Nicollet Mall area with great restaurants, pubs and Target. Also consider the St. Anthony/Riverplace area across the Hennepin Ave Bridge from Dwtn: There are fewer apt options (though you may find a condo for rent). Again close to the riverfront/Stone Arch Bridge plus the shops and restaurants (and Lunds Grocery) of east Hennepin.

Uptown/SW Mpls: Uptown is a high amenity area for restaurants, high walkability, and close to the lakes district and Midtown greenway. A high end apt to look into would be Calhoun Beach Apts on the north shore of Lake Calhoun, or several new Apt complexes near Lyn-Lake (Lyndale and Lake Street): Blue, Murals of Lyn-Lake...
Linden Hills may also be an interesting area to check out: a quieter, more family oriented area, but with a cool little business district at 43rd & Upton and very close to both Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet.

Suburbs:

St. Louis Park: Excelsior & Grand is a nice mixed-use development along Excelsior Blvd east of Hwy 100. It has Trader Joes and a few restaurants, plus is close to the City park & Pool. Its also close to Uptown and the Mpls Lakes District.

Excelsior: If you want to live further out: this is a great little town along Lake Mtonka with a nice main street and great lakeside park.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:44 AM

481 posts, read 1,817,445 times
I wouldn't do anything on Lyn-Lake (Lake St & Lyndale Avenue South) until they're finished with construction and road improvements, especially if you're a short-timer.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:29 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Based on your salary level and preferences I would recommend SW Minneapolis. You'll have urban lifestyle but the area is full of lakes and parks, is close to nightlife in uptown and downtown, and would be a low traffic and relatively low distance commute to the Wayzata area.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:37 PM

Thanks so much for all of your feedback, great appreciated.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:16 AM

196 posts, read 920,551 times
yes, most of SW minneapolis seems to fit your mold. look at a map, the closer to the lakes (calhoun, harriet, isles) the nicer it gets. If you are correct about your salary you should be able to rent your ideal place very easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul