Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,331 times

Advertisements

Hi, my fiance and I area moving to the area pretty soon and we're looking for housing in the North Loop/Whittier neighborhoods. Does anyone know of a good property management company that could help out 2 people just moving out with a very limited income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 07:14 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times
No companies come immediately to mind, but it seems you're looking at two very different areas. The North Loop is mostly condos (so if you rent, you're likely renting from the owner) and is a fairly expensive, gentrified place. Whittier is south of downtown, dense, and I daresay less yuppie than North Loop.

Perhaps equally important is to know what exactly you're looking for and the type of people you and your fiance are.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:09 AM

988 posts, read 1,828,243 times
Two management companies I have heard of that seem to be relatively larger (though I cannot guarantee they have properties in the areas you're looking) would be Steven Scott Management or Kleinman Realty. Google those names for the specific websites.

I would agree with Xandrex on the neighborhoods. Both have their plusses and minuses but are pretty much different neighborhoods. Is price your highest decision factor or are there other decision factors important for you? What is drawing you to those neighborhoods? When you say "limited income" what is your price range for rent?

I think you will get better quality answers if you share with us a bit more on what you're looking for...

Old 07-08-2011, 01:29 PM

9 posts, read 14,201 times
If you're considering Whittier, don't, at all costs, move into stevens square I lived in a slum there where people sold crack. Stay closer to Nicollet south of franklin and not west of lyndlae. Don't rent from The Apartment shop, the building are fine, but they will try to fine you, any chance they get. Don't rent from a Marshall B. Jackson or anything he may be associated with. Putnum properties would be my recommendation, they have a straightforward-no-nonsense lease and the people that live in their buildings are couples and small families-all very nice. Check out their building on pleasant and 25th, I lived there before my roommate left and I had to relocate, otherwise I'd still be there. It was hands down, the best apartment I've rented.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:35 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,650 times
I second, third, fourth and fifth the warning about Steven's Square. Just... don't.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:37 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Boy....I'd LOVE to buy a rental property there and try to turn things around! That area rents very well and it's a great location, but I see no reason to screw over lessees. Ahhhhh, if only I had money.....

Old 07-09-2011, 11:14 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Boy....I'd LOVE to buy a rental property there and try to turn things around! That area rents very well and it's a great location, but I see no reason to screw over lessees. Ahhhhh, if only I had money.....
I was actually just in this area today and was thinking the same thing. There is a large empty lot for sale off of Nicollet Ave right at the bridge that crosses I-94. It'd be a prime location to put up a nice 10-15 story mixed-use building overlooking the downtown skyway. It's a prime location in my opinion, located directly in between downtown (specifically the Nicollet Mall stretch) and Eat Street. Once you and I get some money maybe we should invest in this idea, eh? Guaranteed that piece of land is cheaper than it should be, considering the current real estate market and the reputation of the area.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:40 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I was actually just in this area today and was thinking the same thing. There is a large empty lot for sale off of Nicollet Ave right at the bridge that crosses I-94. It'd be a prime location to put up a nice 10-15 story mixed-use building overlooking the downtown skyway. It's a prime location in my opinion, located directly in between downtown (specifically the Nicollet Mall stretch) and Eat Street. Once you and I get some money maybe we should invest in this idea, eh? Guaranteed that piece of land is cheaper than it should be, considering the current real estate market and the reputation of the area.
I KNOW! Between you and I, I think it's a steal, but neither of us are ready to pounce on a whim alone (unless you are rich or are already an experienced investor). The reason I brought it up is because this is what I want to do with my career (at the start) and eventually make neighborhoods more interesting and inviting places to live, if I can do so!

But will I never invest in a spec. space with no Capitilization calculations....ever! I don't ever want to be in the business of predicting the market....rather, making value that both the customer and myself can prosper off of. If you want to talk more, please PM me, Slig (differences aside).

Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,043 times
Yes, the management group you want to look into is called the Downtown Resource Group. They pretty much manage everything. My husband and I were in the same position and went for a weekend trip to find that the average rent is about $2,500 for 1,000 sf. and no I am not joking.
We looked at about 30 places and decided to start driving around neighborhoods for signs in windows and yards in hopes of something we might have missed. We rented the last place we looked at.

DRG is expensive by all means and they are pretty rude but they have all the rentals. What everyone said about the area is true. Stick to craigslist if you are loking for affordable. You should really consider the Uptown neighborhood or St. Paul. We found these neighborhoods to be great. We are in our mid 30's moving from San Diego.

[url=http://drgmpls.com/]Downtown Resource Group[/url]

Best of luck!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:34 AM
l12

160 posts, read 317,282 times
I recommend using padmapper.com, you can set it up to get alerts of any new properties in your area, price range, etc. so you can be first to check them out.

Find the place first, then do your research about the management company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul