Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:42 AM

23 posts, read 86,343 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Duluth born and raised and at the end of this month I'm moving down to the cities to the Coon Rapids area. I got a job at the Midtown Exchange in Phillips. I know the Phillips is pretty ghetto and I'm nervous about working in that area because my shift will be afternoons so I will be getting done at 11 at night. I am a 21 year old female so not looking forward to that. Anyway, just how bad is phillips? Can anyone give me some pointers or just info. in general.
Second, how bad is rush hour traffic from Coon Rapids to Phillips (downtown minneapolis area) I have to train 8-430 for a month which mean rush hour..ive never driven in heavy traffic:/ so what should I expect?

Any replies would be great!! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 02:04 AM

138 posts, read 627,617 times
Your traffic will not be a problem, especially at that time of day (night). Just keep your eye on the road. It's funny how we Minnesotans weave in and out of exits and entrances without a thought.

Anyway, no matter where you work or live, it's always a good idea to walk to your car with a co-worker at that time of night. Phillips is just another good ole' Minneapolis city enclave. There's the good and there's the other. Good luck on your new job!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:11 PM

23 posts, read 86,343 times
I have noticed that about the drivers in the cities..compared to Duluth-to me a lot of them seem insane!:P Hopefully, I adjust quickly!

Old 01-08-2008, 04:03 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,576 times
Minneapolis drivers are a$$holes, to put it bluntly.

Phillips on the corner of Lake and Chicago is really nothing bad at all. I have a friend who lives near the laundromat on Chicago and Ive never felt unsafe. The Phillips area as a whole has improved pretty significantly in the past 10 years but it still carries a stigma. The block is pretty much in the process of a gentrification so most of the riff raff has spilled over onto other blocks.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:35 AM

279 posts, read 760,605 times
i wouldn't be too worried about the neighborhood around phillips - there have been some problems there but the real center of crime now is in the jordan neighborhood. i was going to say that during the day you have nothing to worry about. maybe a little different at night but not to the point of any real concern.

your commute will be easy for 2nd shift, all the traffic will be the opposite way. you will have an issue with the bridge collapse, i would probably suggest taking 610 over to 252 and then down 94 instead of taking 10 and 35W.

for that month in which you work morning shift, yes the traffic will suck. i would still go the way i suggested, you'd hit some heavy traffic most likely on 94 but trying to come down 35W just wouldn't work well following the bridge detour.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:58 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chakita123 View Post
I have noticed that about the drivers in the cities..compared to Duluth-to me a lot of them seem insane!:P Hopefully, I adjust quickly!
They drive in the same way they act - indifferent, unaware, unmindful.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:54 PM

42 posts, read 130,534 times
Think about Andover. With the "new" freeways up that way - it is a nice suburban area that a northern MN person would be comfortable with.....

Old 01-16-2008, 09:03 PM

196 posts, read 920,671 times
phillips isn't that bad anymore. that rep comes from the 90s when Lake St. had alot of drug dealing and a high profile cop killing. Most of South Minneapolis is gentrifying and nowhere near as bad as it used to be. still not the best part of the city, but certainly not the worst.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:07 PM

54 posts, read 277,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chakita123 View Post
I am originally from Duluth born and raised and at the end of this month I'm moving down to the cities to the Coon Rapids area. I got a job at the Midtown Exchange in Phillips. I know the Phillips is pretty ghetto and I'm nervous about working in that area because my shift will be afternoons so I will be getting done at 11 at night. I am a 21 year old female so not looking forward to that. Anyway, just how bad is phillips? Can anyone give me some pointers or just info. in general.
Second, how bad is rush hour traffic from Coon Rapids to Phillips (downtown minneapolis area) I have to train 8-430 for a month which mean rush hour..ive never driven in heavy traffic:/ so what should I expect?

Any replies would be great!! Thank you
so you're working at allina? also, and don't worry if thats the case you have underground parking. also, they are doing a lot to revamp that neighborhood, the commons was the first step

Last edited by p_U_c_K; 01-18-2008 at 09:18 PM..

Old 01-18-2008, 09:10 PM

54 posts, read 277,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhaenke View Post
Think about Andover. With the "new" freeways up that way - it is a nice suburban area that a northern MN person would be comfortable with.....
i wouldnt call andover a suburb, go on wikipedia and search for exurb, andover is like lakeville but with more meth; its basically farm town with aluminum siding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul