Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 06:44 AM

113 posts, read 277,657 times

Advertisements

So, yesterday, me and my girlfriend decided to take a tour of the city. So, we went to the International Market at Lake and Chicago. On our way back, we spotted 12 police cars at the corner of Lake and Portland. I knew something was wrong, sure enough, some teenage was shot and killed at that intersection yesterday at 2 pm broad daylight, they said possibly gang related!! What is wrong with people? I happen to work in the area (28th and 4th Ave) and I always thought of it as a bad area, I mean, it is a scummy area but I never thought of stuff like that happening at 2 pm on a Saturday. One more reason to hate the ghetto?

Old 03-02-2008, 08:00 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,387,223 times
It was a bad weekend in south. A murder at Portland and Lake and another one at the 2800 block of 17th ave. There was also a murder in Richfield off of Portland near the 494 ramp.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:56 AM

44 posts, read 186,216 times
its not the ghetto. 1 murder does not make it the ghetto. every city has murders, but i dont think that porland and lake is that bad. i feel that area has really improved over the last 10 to 15 years. i feel the average person walking around there in broad day light has nothing to worry about. there was a homicide in richfield yesterday on porland and 494 and i dont consider that area to be bad at all. minneapolis has more people then every other city in minnesota so its likely there will be more murders. near northside is a much worse area where you would have more of a chance to become a victim of crime. look at lakestreet there is so much growth and new development around there.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:14 PM

35 posts, read 54,474 times
minneapolis only has 5 homicides this year, 5...

Old 03-02-2008, 06:44 PM

638 posts, read 3,125,367 times
Unfortunately, we live in a time and a society that is more violent than it was 20-30-40 years ago. I think we have relinquished our responsibility to our neighbors and communities over time, we no longer correct someone else's kids who are acting out because of numerous reasons: 1)"it's not my business" -"I don't want to get involved"; 2)"they are doing their own thing"; 3)kids haven't been disciplined or corrected by their parents and elders; 4)adults who are too protective of their child and will fight with anyone who tries to correct their precious darlings; 5)the self-centered-ness of our whole society; and many other reasons besides these.

Minneapolis is not a ghetto; but neither is it the only city struggling with violence these days. The only way we will see improvements in our city is to get involved within your community

A gang-related shooting happens for whatever reasons; I feel for that teenagers' family, and the families of the other victims.

Just because there is a murder in a certain area, it certainly doesn't make that area a ghetto. Five homicides this year means there are 5 people dead and five grieving families. It still is nothing to minimize.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:54 AM

8 posts, read 39,478 times
that is everything but the ghetto have you ever been to the ghetto

Old 03-21-2008, 11:50 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,567,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
Unfortunately, we live in a time and a society that is more violent than it was 20-30-40 years ago. I think we have relinquished our responsibility to our neighbors and communities over time, we no longer correct someone else's kids who are acting out because of numerous reasons: 1)"it's not my business" -"I don't want to get involved"; 2)"they are doing their own thing"; 3)kids haven't been disciplined or corrected by their parents and elders; 4)adults who are too protective of their child and will fight with anyone who tries to correct their precious darlings; 5)the self-centered-ness of our whole society; and many other reasons besides these.

Minneapolis is not a ghetto; but neither is it the only city struggling with violence these days. The only way we will see improvements in our city is to get involved within your community

A gang-related shooting happens for whatever reasons; I feel for that teenagers' family, and the families of the other victims.

Just because there is a murder in a certain area, it certainly doesn't make that area a ghetto. Five homicides this year means there are 5 people dead and five grieving families. It still is nothing to minimize.
I agree with everything except the idea that our society was somehow safer in decades past. 25 years ago, crack was king. 15 years ago was Murderapolis. There were literally riots on Plymouth Avenue 40 years ago. Minneapolis is safer now than it has been in my lifetime.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:25 AM

638 posts, read 3,125,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillips neiborhood View Post
that is everything but the ghetto have you ever been to the ghetto
I've been in several real ghettos (including in Detroit, Chicago, and Camden, NJ) quite by accident through the years, thanks to a bad habit of confusing my lefts and rights while driving. The Twin Cities doesn't have any ghetto to rival some of the places I've been lost in.

Minnehahapolitan, you are right, things have been bad in the past; but I do feel that as a whole, we are a more violent and irresponsible society than we used to be.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:04 AM

769 posts, read 2,233,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Well, generalizations are always a good way to make a point when you aim them at everyone even though there is only one person that you are targeting. Chodes? What, are you twelve?
My age doesn't mean a thing because I can use any word I want to. And what I stated was true. You're overreacting.

And JenLee, what age are you talking about? When was Minnesota less violent?

Old 03-30-2008, 10:43 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,112,458 times
The way I see it, all major cities are ghettos. This is where the concentration of violent crimes and murders happen. This is where most of the gang activity is collected. Major cities are ghettos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul