Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:43 AM

2,597 posts, read 2,120,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbtmn View Post
OP here. Thanks for the additional feedback. I think the main reason I was "concerned" about the 833 schools is that I always seemed to see them lumped in with the average/mediocre districts in the metro area. I think golfgal made a good point when she mentioned that 833 schools encompass not only Woodbury, but some more blue collar areas that don't necessarily provide a bad education, but just may not have as wide a variety of course offerings, which may explain why 833 isn't grouped with the other "cream of the crop" metro area districts.

We are zoned for Bailey/WMS/WHS. I did notice the WHS ranking on the latest US News report (and I think they were #16 in MN on the previous one), but I think it's hard to objectively compare schools against each other in lists like this one and usually think they should be taken with a grain of salt.
Just a note, Bailey is a great school but it is also the Gateway elementary school for the district (I think it is the entire district, but perhaps just the Woodbury elementary schools) - a classroom for each grade beginning with third grade for those identified as gifted/talented. I think that could be an advantage for all students in the school, in terms of additional attention from the district as well as self-set expectations (most kids, IMO, are pretty bright and given the opportunity to shine, will find something in which they excel, especially if they see that is the norm).

Bailey has a great reputation in Woodbury, as do WMS and WHS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 11:52 AM

117 posts, read 166,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Just a note, Bailey is a great school but it is also the Gateway elementary school for the district (I think it is the entire district, but perhaps just the Woodbury elementary schools) - a classroom for each grade beginning with third grade for those identified as gifted/talented. I think that could be an advantage for all students in the school, in terms of additional attention from the district as well as self-set expectations (most kids, IMO, are pretty bright and given the opportunity to shine, will find something in which they excel, especially if they see that is the norm).

That is interesting about 833 has separate classrooms for gifted/talented kids starting in third grade. I went through the Mounds View school district (very highly regarded), and I can't recall them having anything like that - or at least I wasn't aware of it if they did. I remember being selected for a program called "high potential," but mainly remember it involving the opportunity for some interesting extracurricular opportunities outside of normal class studies. Do they have the designated classrooms all the way through high school - or maybe just the option for advanced classes at the middle/high school level? That's what they did in the MV school district - allowed a few advanced/accelerated options at those levels, but I think it was up to each student which path he/she wished to follow.

My son isn't quite 2, so of course it's way too early to know if he'll eventually qualify for anything G/T, but it's interesting to learn about how the district functions.

I think I mentioned earlier in my post that my husband has a relative who is in the same or a very similar zoning as us, and has mentioned a few times that she hasn't been impressed with the schools here. That was another red flag that left me wondering about the quality of our schools. I don't recall her going into detail about what she didn't like, so I'm not sure what caused her to have that opinion.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:11 PM

2,597 posts, read 2,120,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbtmn View Post
That is interesting about 833 has separate classrooms for gifted/talented kids starting in third grade. I went through the Mounds View school district (very highly regarded), and I can't recall them having anything like that - or at least I wasn't aware of it if they did. I remember being selected for a program called "high potential," but mainly remember it involving the opportunity for some interesting extracurricular opportunities outside of normal class studies. Do they have the designated classrooms all the way through high school - or maybe just the option for advanced classes at the middle/high school level? That's what they did in the MV school district - allowed a few advanced/accelerated options at those levels, but I think it was up to each student which path he/she wished to follow.

My son isn't quite 2, so of course it's way too early to know if he'll eventually qualify for anything G/T, but it's interesting to learn about how the district functions.

I think I mentioned earlier in my post that my husband has a relative who is in the same or a very similar zoning as us, and has mentioned a few times that she hasn't been impressed with the schools here. That was another red flag that left me wondering about the quality of our schools. I don't recall her going into detail about what she didn't like, so I'm not sure what caused her to have that opinion.

The Gateway room for each grade is just one classroom among the multiple rooms for that grade at Bailey. Those in that room are students 1) who were identified the previous school year, 2) whose parents have applied for the Gateway room and 3) are accepted into the room.

Not all parents of the kids identified even apply and of those who do, there are only a limited number of slots (I recall it being 20-22 for the third grade Gateway room). The majority of kids identified don't go - either their parents/they decide to stay in their current school or apply but didn't get in.

Those students who stay at their school will get extra activities/challenges at their schools as they will be grouped together in one of the rooms for their grade with a teacher who has additional training, though the room will not be made up entirely of T/G identified students. And if they are tagged in a following year, they will have the opportunity to apply again.

Also, there is a lot of interaction among students in all rooms at each grade level in the Woodbury elementary schools. So while those in the Gateway rooms would all be together for certain academic activities, they would also be interaction with the others in their grade for other activities during the day. This is the model for some (all?) elementary schools in Woodbury with multiple rooms (cluster teaching). At least I know it is what is done at those schools I know about and was told that is how it is done at Bailey, specifically in regard to the Gateway rooms.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:36 PM

104 posts, read 154,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post

Is this program similar to the Mosaic program in EP? Doesn't Apple Valley also have a similar program?

Old 04-25-2014, 08:48 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,294,306 times
Both Assistant Superintendents, the Finance Director, the longest term board member, and the Superintendent's Administrative Assistant all just resigned from District 833. I know one of the Asst Sup's, and he would never have left without a secure and better opportunity and there was no other opportunity. This spells major stress at the District level. All of the staff that left were forbidden as part of their leaving to discuss why.

District 833 schools have had a very good reputation and many highly regarded curriculum staff and long term teachers. They have done quite a few innovative things in recent years, and often have set the bar for other districts. Unfortunately, when there is a shake-up in administration, if often distracts and upsets staff, and there are often issues with staff support and finances.

Just saying to keep an eye on whats going on there.

Also, it would behoove people NOT to compare test scores and traditional achievement measures as the best measures of success in learning. It's true that CG and Newport have more students of color and lower income students, but the quality of teaching staff, class size, and materials is going to be almost identical across a district the size of 833. The important thing is whether children are excited and happy about going to school, and whether they are making good progress.

Good luck to the OP. I think your kids will be just fine growing up in District 833 schools. That doesnt mean you should keep your eyes shut though. Watch those board meetings and talk with the teachers, visit the schools, and stay involved with your kids education--:>)

Old 04-26-2014, 01:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,665,145 times
That is concerning.....especially that they cannot talk about why they are leaving

Old 07-21-2015, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,160 times
As a parent that moved from CG to Woodbury (both #833) because of the schools performance on "paper" and a few parent referrals (which in retrospect are people I know that are highly involved parents with discipline at home), this move did NOT live up to our expectations or the hype of being in a Woodbury school.
Our child is in Lake MS and is an A-B+ student (based on the report card). Our student has explained that the teachers have minimal to zero control in the classroom. Students telling others to F-off in front of the Phys Ed teacher. Kids on cell phones throughout the classroom--not on the "sites" that are being "used" in the lesson. FB, Instagram, and random games abound during the teaching time. Our student indicated that early in the school year the teachers seemed to attempt discipline but soon gave up. Our student also said that some of the teachers were engaged in the beginning of the year but most of them quickly threw in the towel.

There is a great deal of responsibility that lies with the parents for this behavior---not downplaying or denying that. When the students behavior is poor and the teachers or parents don't (or won't or can't) do anything about it, there is chaos. That's my impression of LMS--Chaos.

I had the opportunity to "chaperone" students from LMS in 2015. I have never seen a group of 12+ year olds with such rotten behavior; ZERO respect for their teachers, their environment, the parent chaperones, or the public. When students were being disrespectful during a presentation, the teachers did NOTHING about it. One teacher didn't know a student in her group was missing until another teacher called her cell phone asking her if he was missing...she said "no"...the other teacher said "well he's right here". OOOPS!

Another parent told me that LMS and Eastridge HS are known for drugs while Woodbury HS and MS are known for booze. Another group of parents were talking within earshot of me within the past week and talked about the same...even so much so that Eastridge has a bathroom that kids only use for drugs and a student posted a video of multiple students passing a bong in the cafeteria for 10 minutes with no adult supervision or intervention.
Trust me...everything that glitters is not always gold.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:00 PM

117 posts, read 166,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodburymomof2 View Post
As a parent that moved from CG to Woodbury (both #833) because of the schools performance on "paper" and a few parent referrals (which in retrospect are people I know that are highly involved parents with discipline at home), this move did NOT live up to our expectations or the hype of being in a Woodbury school.
Our child is in Lake MS and is an A-B+ student (based on the report card). Our student has explained that the teachers have minimal to zero control in the classroom. Students telling others to F-off in front of the Phys Ed teacher. Kids on cell phones throughout the classroom--not on the "sites" that are being "used" in the lesson. FB, Instagram, and random games abound during the teaching time. Our student indicated that early in the school year the teachers seemed to attempt discipline but soon gave up. Our student also said that some of the teachers were engaged in the beginning of the year but most of them quickly threw in the towel.

There is a great deal of responsibility that lies with the parents for this behavior---not downplaying or denying that. When the students behavior is poor and the teachers or parents don't (or won't or can't) do anything about it, there is chaos. That's my impression of LMS--Chaos.

I had the opportunity to "chaperone" students from LMS in 2015. I have never seen a group of 12+ year olds with such rotten behavior; ZERO respect for their teachers, their environment, the parent chaperones, or the public. When students were being disrespectful during a presentation, the teachers did NOTHING about it. One teacher didn't know a student in her group was missing until another teacher called her cell phone asking her if he was missing...she said "no"...the other teacher said "well he's right here". OOOPS!

Another parent told me that LMS and Eastridge HS are known for drugs while Woodbury HS and MS are known for booze. Another group of parents were talking within earshot of me within the past week and talked about the same...even so much so that Eastridge has a bathroom that kids only use for drugs and a student posted a video of multiple students passing a bong in the cafeteria for 10 minutes with no adult supervision or intervention.
Trust me...everything that glitters is not always gold.
OP here, and thanks for sharing. That's definitely concerning. I'm finding that I'm growing frustrated with a lot of "school review sites" since they focus on standardized test scores and the like and not things that matter far more to me as a parent, such as: How much do the teachers care? How is bullying tolerated/handled? What is the variety of coursework and extracurriculars offered? Do students feel motivated, challenged, and supported? I realize all those are subjective, which is probably why it's hard to objectively rate schools in those categories as it is with test scores.

I'm guessing it's hard to find a public or private high school (or even middle school) that's completely free of drugs/alcohol, but I'm assuming different schools have problems to varying degrees. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I went to what is supposed to be one of the top high schools in the state, but still found a lot I disliked about students' behavior in general - as well as the quality of some of the teachers. It's making me wonder if "highly rated" schools don't live up to the hype, or if "low rated" schools are just that much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul