Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:20 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,769,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I seriously considered calling the cops, but then, who knows if these people might come after you later on and even murder you over something like this.
hahah the best part is you arent even joking

Old 11-20-2007, 11:34 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,262,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
I'm guessing that what you are referring to is site-based Section 8? Because, obviously, any property owner anywhere within Edina or Minnetonka is able to rent to folks with Section 8.
As far as I know a property owner has to go through the county to deal with section 8. Yeah, site-based, I guess. I don't agree with suburban livin' but I can understand the logic.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:59 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,425,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
As far as I know a property owner has to go through the county to deal with section 8. Yeah, site-based, I guess. I don't agree with suburban livin' but I can understand the logic.

Property owners must be licensed to rent their property but passed that - they are allowed to rent to whomever they want. If they want to rent to someone on Section 8 they simply fill out a few extra pieces of paperwork initially and all is done (sort of).

Site-based Section 8 is different because the Section 8 is attached to the property & not to the tenant. If the tenant moves - they move without the Section 8. They are not certificate or voucher holders. That would be the only way by which cities would be able to keep Section 8 in any specific area - only allow site-based complexes in the areas you previously described.

Folks in the very nicest areas could have a Section 8 tenant living right next door & not even know it - as long as the owner is willing to rent to them for the alloted rent amount.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:01 PM

44 posts, read 235,255 times
Default This is an educational thread right here...

I've learned alot about section 8 housing from reading this thread that I didn't know before. To sum up:

1) The State is actively trying to desegregate section 8 housing so it is not all concentrated in a few places

2) Individual cities are required to provide a certain amount of section 8; individual landlords are not.

3) As a result, there is both "site-based" and "tennant-based" section 8

4) lucheache is VERY sensitive to rap music

Old 11-21-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkerdunker View Post
I've learned alot about section 8 housing from reading this thread that I didn't know before. To sum up:

1) The State is actively trying to desegregate section 8 housing so it is not all concentrated in a few places

2) Individual cities are required to provide a certain amount of section 8; individual landlords are not.

3) As a result, there is both "site-based" and "tennant-based" section 8

4) lucheache is VERY sensitive to rap music

I think you are serious so I'll say this... I don't know that what you've learned so far can be accepted as "Fact". Certainly number 3 is not "as a result" of number 1 or 2. I can't, at this time, substantiate that the rest is true or not but here is a site that has quite a bit of info to anyone interested:

NHLP (http://www.nhlp.org/html/pres/index.cfm - broken link)

Old 11-23-2007, 10:50 AM

26 posts, read 124,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
The problem is not really with Section 8 recipients but Section 8 ghetto scum. I live at an apartment complex here in Eagan and although the place is still nice, it absorbed a lot of ghetto scum from the inner city. Honestly, I am getting the hell out of this place in October anyways but yes, it definitely had an negative impact on the quality of life here. Last month, I came home from work early one day, it was 3 pm and there was a thug looking guy sitting in his car, I can't even explain how loud his rap music was playing, you could literally hear it from across the street. I seriously considered calling the cops, but then, who knows if these people might come after you later on and even murder you over something like this. I hate ghetto scum but I have no problems with Section 8 hard working people that are trying to make it
If it was that loud I would not hesitate to call the police. You don't even have to give your name. I know at the apartment building I live in if there are a certain # of police visits the tenant causing the disturbance can be evicted.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 12,907 times
I signed up at this site due to the neighbors from hell.....btw, they live in section 8 housing. I wish number of police calls to that house would make them move - they would have been gone a couple of years ago.

I was once in the same boat...sort of.... young divorced mom with 3 kids in diapers, etc. The system was there for me and my children. I am glad it exists! I just wish there was a way to get rid of the ones that abuse the system and are criminals.

Last edited by cc ray; 11-27-2007 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-28-2007, 06:36 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,262,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc ray View Post
I just wish there was a way to get rid of the ones that abuse the system and are criminals.
I don't think that this would be possible in Minneapolis.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:05 AM

143 posts, read 457,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc ray View Post
I just wish there was a way to get rid of the ones that abuse the system and are criminals.
Some kinds of criminal records do disqualify people from section8. I'm not sure what all they are but I know you can't have any drug convictions and get into sec 8.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Bob View Post
Some kinds of criminal records do disqualify people from section8. I'm not sure what all they are but I know you can't have any drug convictions and get into sec 8.

Here's some info I found in regard to previous comments about Section 8 it lists the "Big 3" (Public Housing, Project-Based Section 8, &
Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers). It has some good basic info describing the differences or highlights of each.

BIG 3 (http://www.housinglink.org/The_BIG_3.htm - broken link)

As for Criminal / Conviction Background Checks:

I believe you or any of those in your household cannot have any domestic violence convictions either - perhaps no convictions for violent acts of any kind either. But, not certain. Gonna try to find out though, cause now I'm curious.

Okay, here's the skinny:

No domestic violence convictions
No convictions for crimes against another person
No drug convictions with the last 3 years
No unlawful detainers while on the Section 8 Program

I asked, but couldn't get a definite about the criminal convictions for domestic violence or other crimes against people - whether or not a conviction older than 3 years would be accepted & the person I spoke with didn't know for certain.

But, if there is an exception for drug convictions, my thought is that there likely is one for the others too.

This would NOT obligate a landlord to rent to someone for whom they found ANY criminal history - it only states what Section 8 rules in or out. The thought is that "things change, people change" & we cannot keep persecuting someone for ancient history. So, that's the deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul