Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 01:16 AM

1,936 posts, read 5,841,490 times

Advertisements

I seemed to have pissed off a lot of people, well at least it's some reasonable arguments. I apologize for having made a lot of assumptions, calling your personal preferences absurd, etc. as that wasn't fair (not to mention that I am not "up" on Section 8 law)- but i still think this world would be a lot better place if everyone would quit being so afraid of each other and making blanket stereotypes about people.

And I really like Auntie Bob's comments in the last post, I think you have an awesome perspective/ attitude and make a great argument.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:21 AM

143 posts, read 457,238 times
BTW..I've lived next door to people on Sec 8 and next door to college kids. I'll take the people on Sec 8 as neighbors any day.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:28 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,397,498 times
The street I live on in Eagan is composed of modest single family homes on one side of the street and section 8 duplexes on the other side. I definitely think this element lowers the value of the single family homes which is good from a value home buyer's perspective but bad from an investment perspective. It isn't my house though so not my problem.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:29 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,425,630 times
Arrow Hopefully Section 8 Never Becomes Necessary for Any of You

I really do become discouraged & disappointed at the level of & acceptance of so much judgment & stereotype. Many of the views here are things that are based upon factual instances/occurrences - yet are so boldly affirmed in such a hateful way that it breaks my heart.

I happen to be the poster child for pulling yourself up my your own bootstraps & making a life for yourself in this country. I come from a very poor family of 10 children. Most of my siblings were raised in the projects of the East & West side of St Paul. I grew up in what was then an outer ring suburb (really rural).

My father worked hard to leave the projects behind but having come up during the depression era - that poverty mentality never left them. He had nothing more than a 2nd grade education, at best, but worked hard - sometimes 3 jobs - to make/maintain a life for us.

I left home at 18 & struggled with poor choices for a while (marrying & having my son by the age of 20). Divorced at 24. Anyhow. We were POOR. I made my own way as I matured & wised up. I lived in every sort of neighborhood imaginable in the Twin Cities (save the really nice ones at that point).

I went to college, worked, I was active in my community & did what it took legitimately to make a way for myself & my son. Eventually landing a professional position at the University in Human Resources. I had the whole world before me & all was looking up. My total income was about $60,000 per year. And then, LIFE HAPPENED. Two car accidents (one rear-end collision & one t-bone - both on the part of the other party) in one year changed my life.

I lost my house, in order to have surgery when I needed it I had to file bankruptcy on the approx $200,000 in medical bills that the insurance companies were fighting over (as none of them were actually my responsibility), the car I owned was taken as part of my settlement of State medical bills, etc. I had no personal credit card debit or anything like that.

It's now been 5 years & I am still recovering from the effects. I've had surgery & a whole host of problems. I live on Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). Up until this last May, I was paying full market rent at my previous apartment (actually, they graciously reduced my rent by $225 for me to be able to afford living there) - which left me with $135 after rent. I never missed a payment & never was late.

In May I received a Section 8 voucher due to my disabilities & moved to my current suburban location (from Uptown). The complex, from the outside, could pass for condos. It looks very nice & well kept. I placed an add on Craigslist looking for housing because I was finding that NO ONE would take Section 8 in the areas I wanted to live (all the areas YOU'D want to live). This manager answered my ad.

There is an outdoor pool, sauna, whirlpool, game room w/ pool table, community room, grocery bus that takes folks to the market once a week - all sorts of activity buses, etc. Heaven, right?

Well, I have no idea what percentage of folks here are of what income level - not honestly. I do know that the 3 bdrms rent for about $1200, 2 bdrms for about $9??, & 1 bdrms for about $8??. Without Section 8 they are not that affordable. This company does reduce the rent to accept Section 8.

There is clearly a large portion of folks here who are singles or couples who are elderly or disabled & on Section 8 = there seems to be no "problems" with them what-so-ever.
There seems to be a small portion of folks who are moderate income working adults who just keep to themselves.
There is likely a percentage of "others" who are no bother either. (others, meaning, can't fit them neatly into a specific category with others)

Then there are the families (meaning with children) & others who are making living here a living nightmare. When I first moved in I was in near terror with the next door neighbors. They fought like they were killing one another. I am not being over dramatic. I was frightened - actually, really, frightened. I wondered what I had gotten myself into. I admit, after days & days of that I was certain they had to be "one of those Section 8 families". Alas, they weren't (the landlord said they weren't).

But, that wasn't it. There are folks peeing in the west stairwell - for some god-forsaken reason. There are children screaming at the top of their lungs on our lovely screened in balconies, three apartments over to their friends - for what seems like an eternity. There are folks throwing their garbage & allowing their children to leave their garbage in the hallways & stairwells. There are folks refusing to throw their own garbage in the chute - so they leave it spread all over the surrounding areas. There are folks slicing up the waiting area furniture, breaking into the washers/dryers, writing on halls, destroying the outdoor sprinklers - and the list could go on & on.

I can't say for certain who "they" are or if they are on Section 8 - but I don't entirely blame "them". This is a management company with many MADACS awards & lots of money. We have security cameras but no one monitoring them & none in the areas that most greatly effect us as tenants. They are sprucing up the entryway to impress prospective tenants but it is an act of god to get them to do basic repairs. This place doesn't look anything like a Section 8 complex - the apartments appear to be fabulous with huge kitchens, 2nd bathrooms, etc.

I guess what I am getting at is, I AM ON SECTION 8 & I hate the same elements that all of you despise. I confess that I would not have moved here if they advertised themselves as "accepting Section 8" - because that really is a common red flag for trouble (bad landlords & tenants). I worked hard my whole life to create a certain type of life & live in a certain type of environment. I have no problem with living around other Section 8 folks such as myself or those like the many excellent tenants who are own Section 8 here.

I am 39 years old. While my disabilities are severe - I believe I have a good chance of rising again from these pitfalls & eventually getting off of Section 8. But, stress exacerbates my health. I need safe, peaceful, homey housing like you. I need those of you who are good tenants & good landlords to be open to the possibility that good Section 8 tenants such as myself really do exist. You don't have to open up the floodgates - just keep an open mind & consider that given the wrong set of circumstances in life - you could be me.

------------

As for the OP's question, I am actually shocked because Eagan is one of the Twin Cities "nicest" suburbs. I know that there has been a serious move of low-income housing to the suburbs - but I almost feel like you are exaggerating because I cannot imagine that there is any problem at all in Eagan finding rental housing that does not accept Section 8. I suppose I'd avoid places that advertise "accepting Section 8" for my previously stated reasons. But, many will take it but don't advertise it. I'd say the best advice is to ask for a tour & go even to the places they don't take you to on the tour. Look at the lawn & if there is random garbage everywhere - yet not obvious. Garbage chutes that are unkempt. Stuff in hallways & stairwells. I'd also come back & try to speak with a few varied tenants. Here, I'd of been wise to do that. I did it years ago when checking into places - this time I was desperate because no one would take me with the voucher.

Calhoun Beach Club apartments have several that are Section 8. I can almost guarantee that you'd never know it. It's not just the tenants, but the screening process & "on top of it ness" of the management. Problems? They should be addressing them immediately.

(sorry for the length - guess this one just struck a cord)

Old 11-18-2007, 07:17 PM

21 posts, read 56,245 times
I believe that people that are do not care about their surroundings and where they live cross all genders and races, and ethnicity. That said, I have been robbed at gun point twice in my life, both times in an apartment complex that acccepted Section 8 tenants. This occurred when I lived in Texas

Coincedence, I am not sure, but I have not been robbed after moving to the "higher rent" areas. However There is still the problem of loud neighbors, fights and people being disrespectful of their surroundings, I think that is just human nature when you people rent, they many times have the "it isn't mine so who cares attitude.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:10 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,397,498 times
yeah, see my post above.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:42 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,769,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
As for the OP's question, I am actually shocked because Eagan is one of the Twin Cities "nicest" suburbs. I know that there has been a serious move of low-income housing to the suburbs
Thats because of a lawsuit over the Sumner-Glenwood projects which basically laid out that Section 8 housing was segregated in MN. Personally I think its great that Section 8 is in the suburbs. Makes it less easy to ignore problems when they live down the block .

The "New Urbanism" trend is essentially failing thus far, as Sumner-Glenwood was replaced with Heritage Park, and thats basically a dump in the making.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:15 PM

751 posts, read 1,181,034 times
The problem is not really with Section 8 recipients but Section 8 ghetto scum. I live at an apartment complex here in Eagan and although the place is still nice, it absorbed a lot of ghetto scum from the inner city. Honestly, I am getting the hell out of this place in October anyways but yes, it definitely had an negative impact on the quality of life here. Last month, I came home from work early one day, it was 3 pm and there was a thug looking guy sitting in his car, I can't even explain how loud his rap music was playing, you could literally hear it from across the street. I seriously considered calling the cops, but then, who knows if these people might come after you later on and even murder you over something like this. I hate ghetto scum but I have no problems with Section 8 hard working people that are trying to make it

Old 11-19-2007, 08:04 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,262,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Thats because of a lawsuit over the Sumner-Glenwood projects which basically laid out that Section 8 housing was segregated in MN. Personally I think its great that Section 8 is in the suburbs. Makes it less easy to ignore problems when they live down the block .

The "New Urbanism" trend is essentially failing thus far, as Sumner-Glenwood was replaced with Heritage Park, and thats basically a dump in the making.
There is a state law in Minnesota that requires every city (township?) to denote a certain percentage of it's housing towards section 8. I am all for affordable housing, but I also agree with how Edina and Minnetonka handle this situation-they put all of their section 8 housing along their borders, preferably next to a freeway.

To Garth;

You do realize that you can screen potential tennents-and charge them for it (of course you do, you are a landlord)?

Old 11-19-2007, 04:56 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,425,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
but I also agree with how Edina and Minnetonka handle this situation-they put all of their section 8 housing along their borders, preferably next to a freeway.

I'm guessing that what you are referring to is site-based Section 8? Because, obviously, any property owner anywhere within Edina or Minnetonka is able to rent to folks with Section 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul