Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

Hey Minneapolis, St. Paul and Eagan...thanks in advance...

I've only heard great things about Eagan -- "If you can take the winters, it's a great place, not a bad word about it."...but I'm curious...

Is there anything not so great about Eagan that one should REALLY know about.
Such as:
-- an absolute bad crime area?, or absolute worst school district, any areas to NOT live in?

My brother will be scouting Eagan, because of the job relocation. (Lone Oak Parkway, Eagan, MN 55121)
For the first year his family will likely stay in Philadelphia. So he'll likely rent a small CHEAP place to close work while he's supporting two households. But eventually the kids and wife may move also.

Maybe coming from Philly we're over concerned -- but locals ALWAYS know things others don't -- which wrong turns NOT to make, areas not to go to, etc.

I'll be with him on a late May scouting trip that's serious business - no sightseeing other than trying to learn as much as we can before his move by fall -- apts, get the lay of the land, etc.

Anything we DEFINITELY need to know? Or should check out while we're there for three days.
We're researching now, and I do have a list of closest hotels to his job for our scouting tip and closest apt complexes for after he moves.

Thanks, again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 12:59 PM

145 posts, read 324,566 times
In a word, "no".

Eagan is the epitome of bland, auto oriented suburbia, but a lot of people are perfectly happy with that, so there's nothing wrong with it if that's what you want.

There are suburbs that have questionable areas. I won't name them because it gets some people here bent out of shape, but will say that Eagan is not one of them, nor one you would likely to look at having a job in Eagan.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Biggest issue with some parts of Eagan is airport noise. It's right across the river from the MSP airport. Generally staying east of Pilot Knob and south of Yankee Doodle puts you away from airport noise and into the best school district. There are 3 that serve Eagan. I would avoid the parts that are in the Burnsville/Savage district but the other two are fine with the Rosemount/Eagan/Apple Valley district being the better of the 2. It's also closer to where he will be working and it's a lovely area with lots of parks, trails for hiking, walking, etc. Budget will be the biggest consideration as some parts of Eagan are very reasonable, some are very expensive, $5,000,000+ expensive.

I would avoid the area closer to highway 13 in general.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:04 PM

If you don't need fancy, I like the Microtel on Lone Oak Road in Eagan. It's clean, quiet, cheep and easy to get places. It's not far from the Lexington/Yankee Doodle area which is a good place to rent in Eagan. There are several complexes in there that are pretty nice-apartments and townhomes.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:48 PM

464 posts, read 803,146 times
I'd agree that if you have a choice, it would be better to be in the district 196 attendance area. There's a substantial chunk of it that is west of Pilot Knob, though. It would be best to check on a map or on the district's address locator to be certain.

As far as problematic areas, the Eagan police department has a crime mapper here that shows the last 90 days of activity:

PIMA Web

Over the years, the areas that have seemed to have the most issues are Slater Road north of Cliff (and Cinnamon Ridge Trail), Silver Bell Road, and the Coachman Road area north of Yankee Doodle. But as the mapper shows, there's isolated incidents all over at some time or another.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:05 PM

Cinnamon Ridge Trail--I was trying to remember that name. Our son was looking for houses/townhomes and our realtor said that she will NEVER show anyone a place in that area....

Old 02-20-2013, 04:53 PM

45 posts, read 103,334 times
People who tell you Eagan is the "epitome of bland" will say that about any suburb. I prefer the cities in general but if I had to compare the suburbs, Eagan would sit among the best. Its hills, lakes, trails, and regional park along with its proximity to both downtowns is what makes it desirable.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,967 times
Hey, good as most any other suburb. Don't pay extra for a house there, but don't pay too much extra for a house somewhere else. Their gas stations often have lowest or very low prices for their gasoline. Tons of shopping nearby.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 AM

464 posts, read 803,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Cinnamon Ridge Trail--I was trying to remember that name. Our son was looking for houses/townhomes and our realtor said that she will NEVER show anyone a place in that area....
I looked at a couple condos in that area when I was looking for a place to buy eight years ago (I was living in the Cinnamon Ridge apartments at the time), and I didn't like them anyway, but yeah, time has certainly validated my decision. Had I bought, I may have chosen to walk away just to be able to leave that mess.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:48 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Eagan isn't bad at all. I worked there for 10 years and the worst thing I can say about it is that it's dull. But convenient for the airport and the downtown areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul