Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 08:03 PM

416 posts, read 1,399,113 times

Advertisements

I am taking my daughter to Mall of America in January to celebrate her 13th birthday. We'll be staying Friday evening (late) through Monday (we'll leave in the AM or afternoon). Other then taking her to Mall of America for a shopping spree, what else is there to do for a new teen and her mom in that area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 09:43 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
there's an indoor waterslide park off of 494 very near to the mall of america (just west I believe?) Otherwise it kinda depends what your daughter is into. You could check out one of the zoos or the science museum. Lake Calhoun/Uptown is a fun area to walk around and do some people watching. The gameworks downtown would be cool if she likes arcarde games. If she likes rock music the hard rock cafe across from the Target center is an obvious choice.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
The weather can be iffy in January for outdoor activities like the zoo, etc. The Minnesota Zoo is about 10 minutes south of the MOA and has a lot of indoor exhibits. Downtown St. Paul, again about 10 minutes from MOA, has Minnesota Science Museum that is currently displaying the traveling show "Pomppii". I am not sure how long it will be there but it is an interesting display.

If she is into basketball, take in a game at the University of MN-men's or women's. Does she ski? There is a ski bump south of MOA in Burnsville (Buck Hill).

It would be easier to make recommendations if we knew what she liked to do.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:50 AM

102 posts, read 163,448 times
IMO, the Mall of America is just like the mall in your town. The only difference it is bigger. They do have a aquarium and a mini-theme park, other than that, it was alright. Your teenager might like it, but it is just like a regular mall. Some of the hotels in the area do provide shuttles to the mall and back.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrik2714 View Post
IMO, the Mall of America is just like the mall in your town. The only difference it is bigger. They do have a aquarium and a mini-theme park, other than that, it was alright. Your teenager might like it, but it is just like a regular mall. Some of the hotels in the area do provide shuttles to the mall and back.
I figured it wouldn't be so different then the malls I'm used to, but it's really something she wanted to do and it'll be a nice way for us to have some time alone! Plus, she'll be turning 13 and loves to shop! Are the mini-theme park and aquarium in the mall?

Old 09-30-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The weather can be iffy in January for outdoor activities like the zoo, etc. The Minnesota Zoo is about 10 minutes south of the MOA and has a lot of indoor exhibits. Downtown St. Paul, again about 10 minutes from MOA, has Minnesota Science Museum that is currently displaying the traveling show "Pomppii". I am not sure how long it will be there but it is an interesting display.

If she is into basketball, take in a game at the University of MN-men's or women's. Does she ski? There is a ski bump south of MOA in Burnsville (Buck Hill).

It would be easier to make recommendations if we knew what she liked to do.
You're right, I should have given more information. She'd love the science museum, so I'll definitely look into that! She's not much into sports other then football. She's more the book type!

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
there's an indoor waterslide park off of 494 very near to the mall of america (just west I believe?) Otherwise it kinda depends what your daughter is into. You could check out one of the zoos or the science museum. Lake Calhoun/Uptown is a fun area to walk around and do some people watching. The gameworks downtown would be cool if she likes arcarde games. If she likes rock music the hard rock cafe across from the Target center is an obvious choice.
More great ideas! She's always wanted to go to a Hard Rock Cafe and gameworks sounds fun (even for me)! I'll have to look all these places up online and try to fit them all in!

Old 09-30-2007, 08:14 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,152,737 times
Default Without fail...

If you are not from the area, without fail take the Twin Cities bus tour. I think it runs even in winter, but only on weekends. Busses depart from the transit center on the north side of mall, and tickets can be bought/reservations made in a little gift shop right inside the north entrance.
You will see really neat sights, and get alot of info about the area and history from a narrator who rides along (not the driver).
It's about a 2 1/2 hr trip, so easy to make time for.
We love taking this tour, and have done so about 3 times.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:06 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggggies View Post
I figured it wouldn't be so different then the malls I'm used to, but it's really something she wanted to do and it'll be a nice way for us to have some time alone! Plus, she'll be turning 13 and loves to shop! Are the mini-theme park and aquarium in the mall?
Yes, the aquarium and the theme park (used to be Camp Snoopy, now just the Park at MOA) are right in the mall. Shopping at the MOA is great for teen girls, they have pretty much every store a 13 year old would like in one mall. My DD is 12 1/2 and we will shop there for her almost exclusively because we can do one stop shopping.

Plan at least one FULL day at the mall if you are going to eat there, see the whole mall and do the rides/aquarium. IKEA is also right across the street from MOA and a lot of teens like to shop there for stuff for their rooms.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 AM

Thank you for all the great information! I really appreciate it!

Do you think going on the weekend is a crazy idea or would a Friday be better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul