Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 04:17 AM

26 posts, read 78,972 times

Advertisements

Anyone has experience finding short term rentals in the Cities? Anywhere around Edina/west Bloomington. I've checked out some short term rental sites, but haven't found much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 04:50 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Have you looked into long term hotel rentals at places like Residence inn, etc.? When do you need the place? If it is over the summer months, check with the various colleges in the area as college students may look to sublet their apartments over the summer.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:19 AM

988 posts, read 1,827,762 times
Those aren't bad ideas GG has if you just need short-term. Residence Inn will be more expensive but nicer (and includes breakfast, I believe). Staybridge Suites would be comparable in terms of offering and quality - depends if you want a Marriott or an IHG hotel. Less expensive options would include Extended Stay America, InTown Suites (in Burnsville) or Candlewood Suites (though Candlewood is only in Richfield so a bit further to drive, but also an IHG hotel).

By the time you pay a premium to a traditional apartment for a short-term lease, it might be pretty comparable to one of those hotels. Another benefit to the hotels is their loyalty club points. The mentioned brands above are all part of one chain or another that offers points, with the exceptions (I believe) of Extended Stay and InTown. With the number of points you'd accumulate, might very well get you a free trip in the future or some of the programs let you use the points for things like gift cards to stores or airline miles.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:50 AM

26 posts, read 78,972 times
I'm looking for something between september and november while I visit my husband who's working in the States. We're a family of 4 and don't have a whole lot of cash. Preferably something under 900. It needs to have a full kitchen so a hotel won't do. Plus, with kids, we'd all go crazy I think! I've just checked craigslist, a little difficult to weed through all the college dorm rentals.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsan View Post
I'm looking for something between september and november while I visit my husband who's working in the States. We're a family of 4 and don't have a whole lot of cash. Preferably something under 900. It needs to have a full kitchen so a hotel won't do. Plus, with kids, we'd all go crazy I think! I've just checked craigslist, a little difficult to weed through all the college dorm rentals.
Most of these extended stay type hotels have kitchens which is why they are nice options. They also have swimming pools so the kids can wear off energy . Where is your husband staying while he is here?

OK, nevermind. I just priced out the Extended Stay on Lyndale from Sept 1st -Nov 30th and it was $5000+, YIKES.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:29 AM

988 posts, read 1,827,762 times
It is true the brands mentioned all offer kitchens to cook meals, though I would agree with 4 the size you're talking will get tight. GG is also correct in the pricing of the extended stay type hotels in the pricing, though keep in mind that includes all your utilities and some include breakfast so shifts some of your everyday expenses.

That said, not to be the Dougie Downer but traditional apartments will be a challenge to find short-term for the $900 you're seeking. Especially in the area you are looking, a 2BR normally runs in the ballpark of $800-900 and usually assumes a 6 to 12 month lease. If an apartment will rent on 3 months there will almost certainly be a premium on the rent (which could get you easily over $1000-1200, plus utilities). You also have the challenge of wanting to vacate in the winter. Though not all apartments, some have "no-winter-vacate" clauses - regardless of when the lease would normally end, it automatically extends until spring. Too difficult to find people wanting to move in during the winter so the apartment sits empty and no rent for the landlord to pay bills.

Craigslist may be your best option to find someone who wants to rent a mother-in-law apartment out of their house or similar, or hopefully someone will think another idea.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:26 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,275 times
Try vrbo.com, airbnb.com and the vacation rental area of craig's list.

I don't know how to do this online, but your best bet is to find a professor at the U or Macalester/Augsburg/Hamline/St Thomas who is going for a semester away and wants to rent out their house for that time period. It's pretty hard to find, but someone does it every semester.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Try vrbo.com, airbnb.com and the vacation rental area of craig's list.

I don't know how to do this online, but your best bet is to find a professor at the U or Macalester/Augsburg/Hamline/St Thomas who is going for a semester away and wants to rent out their house for that time period. It's pretty hard to find, but someone does it every semester.
That might be your best bet. I just looked on the vacation rentals by owner (vrbo.com) site and it looks like the least expensive one in the general metro area was $1800/month. What you may want to do since it is for such a long time is contact the owners of a few places and see if they will give you a deal for a month. I doubt that $900/month will cover it though, but maybe since it isn't a peak time of the year??

Old 06-09-2012, 10:46 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,275 times
The proposed budget is way too small for a family of four, IMO. A nice rental for a family in Grand Forks, North Dakota costs more than $900. My sister's 2BD place in uptown cost $900...fifteen years ago. Golf Gal has a good idea though. I used airbnb the last time I had to do an extended trip to NYC. I rented for a week, then the woman I rented from gave me a better "off line" rate for the rest of my stay.

Last edited by rzzz; 06-09-2012 at 11:19 AM..

Old 06-09-2012, 11:10 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,015 times
Marketplace in North Branch

Sublease commercial real estate space-sublease listings search for office and industrial real estate space
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul