Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,015 times

Advertisements

US News released their Top High Schools list & Mpls SW takes #1 again this year (back to back). Last year many suburban parents found it unbelievable that a city school could be #1, or that 3 city schools could be in the Top-10 (Mpls South dropped out of the Top-10 this year). Let the debates begin!

1. Mpls Southwest
2. Edina
3. Mahtomedi
4. St. Louis Park
5. Eastview
6. St. Paul Central
7. Minnetonka
8. TrekNorth (Bemidji)
9. St. Anthony Village
10. Eagan

http://www.usnews.com/education/best...ools/minnesota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
Be ready for the flames and for some mad spinning to make it appear that the vast majority of Southwest students are drop-outs, the "best of" lists are useless, the report is based on just a "handful" of top students, the statistics are all wrong, and that all city schools are terrible, because they are in the CITY, you know, and we all know that those "inner-city" schools are only filled with drug-dealing gangsters just biding their time until they can drop out and go back to the streets.

Although for what it's worth, I do think that lists like this can't really quantify "best", and do believe that the Twin Cities has many excellent high schools. Further, what is "best" for one student may not be "best" for another. I do think, however, that Southwest (and I'm sure the rest of the schools on this list, as well as plenty of them not on the list) is an excellent option for the more academically-inclined students. The "smart kids" of the world will definitely fit in there and will have ample advanced course offerings.

Congratulations to all of the Minnesota schools who made the list!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM

411 posts, read 992,328 times
Wait, I thought all schools in Mpls were awful and you needed to go somewhere like Edina to find good public education.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:41 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
That list makes me very proud....if we lived there (or move back) we'd likely be in one of the top 4 school districts (except #3). I really like that SW is one of (or apparently, THE) best schools in the region, because even though it's probably "white, yuppy, rich, etc." for Minneapolis, it's quite diverse for the region and seems to offer diversity as well as top-notch education -- what many people consider the "ultimate goal".

Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Wait, I thought all schools in Mpls were awful and you needed to go somewhere like Edina to find good public education.
It's not cheap to live in SW Minneapolis either....not anymore, anyways. That's why neighborhoods like Kenny or Armitage (moreso the latter, because when I lived in Kenny I am almost certain my district had me going to Washburn) that are fairly affordable are so ideal to me.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 AM

I heard through the Star Tribune that a lot of North Minneapolis residents were potentially transferring and preferring Southwest over options like Henry or "New North High"......Does anyone think this could negatively impact the scores (NOT because they are possibly minorities, but rather because kids from the poorest areas of cities don't have the same educational encouragement in the household)? Or has this transition already taken place -- and the scores stayed high?

Old 05-08-2012, 12:44 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
I believe the kids from north Minneapolis who don't choose Henry choose the other suburban districts that direction; I don't think (although could be wrong) that they have the option of attending Southwest, even if they wanted to, as there's seldom space available, unless they qualify for Choice is Yours. If anything, my impression is that Southwest has become wealthier and less diverse, socio-economically, in recent years (although not sure what the official numbers show, but that seems to be the "word on the street") as other schools add their own IB programs and the district tries to actively spread the academic opportunities (and the families who value education) throughout all the high schools (with mixed results; seems to be working well at Washburn, although they have had some growing pains). I think Southwest's scores have probably gone up as a result (again, not totally sure of what the official numbers are on that). I know there is a lot of resentment among some Minneapolis residents towards Southwest. I don't think angry North parents are trying to send their kids to Southwest -- they're going with charter schools or suburbs participating in the Choice is Yours program instead. But I didn't see the article you're talking about (will look it up now!) so perhaps there has been an increase in north students at SW recently.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:20 PM

110 posts, read 261,536 times
what areas in Minneapolis does southwest serve?

Old 05-08-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I believe the kids from north Minneapolis who don't choose Henry choose the other suburban districts that direction; I don't think (although could be wrong) that they have the option of attending Southwest, even if they wanted to, as there's seldom space available, unless they qualify for Choice is Yours. If anything, my impression is that Southwest has become wealthier and less diverse, socio-economically, in recent years (although not sure what the official numbers show, but that seems to be the "word on the street") as other schools add their own IB programs and the district tries to actively spread the academic opportunities (and the families who value education) throughout all the high schools (with mixed results; seems to be working well at Washburn, although they have had some growing pains). I think Southwest's scores have probably gone up as a result (again, not totally sure of what the official numbers are on that). I know there is a lot of resentment among some Minneapolis residents towards Southwest. I don't think angry North parents are trying to send their kids to Southwest -- they're going with charter schools or suburbs participating in the Choice is Yours program instead. But I didn't see the article you're talking about (will look it up now!) so perhaps there has been an increase in north students at SW recently.
My source was the Strib, and that's what they wrote.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:25 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,061,537 times
Tech High School in St cloud made the top 50 and Apollo, Sauk Rapids and Sartell all didn't
Im a graduate from Tech and am pleasantly surprised that it made it and the others like Sartell didn't

Sad that Annandale isn't on there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul