Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 08:48 PM

46 posts, read 125,684 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to the Armatage or Kenny neighborhood in southwest Minneapolis since it would be midway between my job and my spouse's job. (Jobs are in Eden Prairie and downtown St. Paul.) I'm wondering if anyone has opinions about if these are good neighborhoods or not. I'm looking for good schools for my 2 young kids and would want to buy a 3BR/2BA house for less than $300K. I think the schools in those n'hoods would be Armatage , Kenny, Anthony middle and Southwest High. Does anyone have experience living in those neighborhoods or sending kids to those schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 10:31 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I live in Armatage, very near the border with Kenny, and have friends and relatives in both neighborhoods. You'll be in good company -- I think many of my neighbors live here as a compromise location; either because a couple has jobs in two different locations (lots of people working in EP around here) or because one person wants to live in a more urban area, someone else wants more true suburbs. This is sort of the in-between. That said, assuming you like a quieter, very family-oriented, safe neighborhood with excellent schools, you're definitely not compromising quality.

I think some of Kenny may be in the Washburn district (not sure where the border is); if that's the case, know that Washburn is steadily gaining a strong reputation, and while it still lags behind Southwest (reputation-wise), it seems well on track to catch up in coming years.

Other school comments: neighbors almost all send their kids to Armatage, and I hear universally great things. If we weren't moving I'd try to send my son there. It's a magnet Montessori, so you won't necessarily get in (I believe it's a lottery system, although there may be more spaces available if you are entering at a higher grade; one neighbor recently switched her older child into the school and had no problems finding a spot, or with making the transition). I also, however, hear good things about Kenny. The junior high kids around here mostly go to Anthony, and that, too, has a good reputation. That hasn't always been the case, but I think the negative reviews are outdated. And Southwest has long had the reputation as being one of the academic powerhouses of the Twin Cities. Much of that is due to the IB program (which I attended in the '90s), but the school as a whole is decent. Their art and drama programs also seem to be really growing, and I believe their art teachers was relatively recently named a Minneapolis teacher of the year. Your children will certainly get a top-rate education if they go the typical local school route of Armatage, Anthony, and then Southwest.

As far as demographics, both Kenny and Armatage seem to consist primarily of middle-class families and empty-nesters. There are TONS of kids around, and it's the kind of area where the kids can go by themselves to walk to the park, bike around the neighborhood, or play outside in the front yard. It's also within walking distance to Minnehaha Creek and (slightly longer walk) to Lake Harriet. You get many of the same benefits of the more expensive neighborhoods just to the north (safety, community, good schools, etc.) but since it's a bit farther from the water and the houses tend to be "newer" (lots of postwar homes, although many have been expanded) it's at a much more reasonable price point.

You don't mention age of children, but if you still have children under five you may also be interested in the local ECFE (early childhood family education) program; ECFE is offered state-wide, but Kenny School is one of the MPS locations. Nearly everyone seems to take a class there at one point or the other, and it's an excellent way to meet other local parents and children (not that you won't also meet plenty simply walking around!); they offer both daytime and evening classes. Also, Washburn Library (53rd and Lyndale) has a popular storytime and a wonderful children's section; you'll probably end up spending a lot of time there if you end up in this neighborhood.

In short, yes, I think it's a great area with excellent schools.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:06 AM

Thanks! My kids are 1 and 3, so I was wondering if you know what my chances are at getting my older one into Armatage for kindergarten if I am a resident in that area by the time we apply for schools. Do you know if the commute to downtown St. Paul during rush hour would be awful from that neighborhood? Do you have much airport noise there?

Old 09-25-2011, 09:15 AM

Also, do you know of any good preschools and daycares in that area? My kids currently go to a great Montessori preschool/daycare, and I'm afraid I won't be able find something like that in a new area. Thanks!

Old 09-25-2011, 09:37 AM

I think the odds of getting in Armatage are fairly good, but I know that they can't necessarily guarantee that everyone who applies will get a spot. I believe siblings get first priority. That said, I don't personally know anyone who has applied and been rejected.

There are multiple Montessori daycares and preschools nearby; Concy's Daycare was located at 45th and Lyndale (not sure if they're still there or not; they were until last year, but I think a new charter school MAY have taken their spot). There's another Montessori place at 45th and Colfax -- Sunshine Montessori. I'm sure there are many others around, too. I don't know anyone with kids at those schools. You'll have many, many good options to choose from, though, especially if it doesn't have to be only Montessori (although you'll find those, too); here's a preschool guide put out by the local ECFE, which will give you a starting point: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14122736/Min...n%20Packet.pdf Some of the local parks also have a preschool program; I think Kenny may (although not sure), and I know Fuller Park does (not in the neighborhood, but nearby).
My impression is that most of the preschools around here are play-focused, and not academic in nature. Many of the preschools (although certainly not all) are geared towards kids who are going for just the mornings or afternoons, as opposed to day-long programs. There are also a lot of in-home daycares, though, and I know some preschools have bus service and will drop your children off at a daycare afterwards, if you wanted a more traditional preschool for your 3-yo, but also needed the full-day daycare coverage. I know Concy's was full-day daycare and preschool, however, and I think Sunshine is, too.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:04 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
The further North and East you go in either neighborhood the louder the noise from airplanes will be -- and it can be loud! I don't think it's a huge deterrant though unless you are closest to the flight path, which often comes in from the NW over Lakes Harriet/Calhoun SE to the airport (depending on the wind on any given day).

I personally grew up in Kenny and have very fond memories of my childhood there! I'd recommend it to anyone who asks, and it's where I'd like to be with my family, especially as we're still very young.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:43 PM

12 posts, read 28,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm2010 View Post
Do you know if the commute to downtown St. Paul during rush hour would be awful from that neighborhood?
The commute via 35W and 94 would be challenging and sometimes congested, but not terrible. There is also a backdoor way via 62 and Shepherd Road.

Quote:
Thanks! My kids are 1 and 3, so I was wondering if you know what my chances are at getting my older one into Armatage for kindergarten if I am a resident in that area by the time we apply for schools.
If you live in either the Armatage or Kenny neighborhood, you are guaranteed admission into Kenny Elementary, which is a traditional, community, non-Montessori. You are NOT guaranteed admission to Armatage, as it's a magnet serving a large geography. Armatage has been at 100% capacity since switching to all-Montessori in 2010, but I don't have any neighbors who wanted to attend Armatage but wound up on the waitlist.

Quote:
Do you have much airport noise there?
Kenny gets more than Armatage but neither are bad.

Both neighborhoods are great. I live in Armatage and the differences are minor: Kenny's houses might be a bit bigger, Armatage has more duplexes/rentals (but still not many),Kenny might be a bit sleepier block-to-block (and Armatage is pretty sleepy) and Armatage has the only meaningful commercial node at 54th and Penn. But both give you the benefits of SW Mpls and their schools at less price than other SW neighborhoods.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:49 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Doesn't Kenny abut the 56th and Lyndale intersection? Is that not meaningful?

Armatage also has the 56th and Xerxes commercial area (very small) that has two very popular local restaurants (Cave Vin and Pizza Lola).

Old 09-26-2011, 08:26 PM

I agree with lurpy's overall assessment. I think the innards of Kenny are even quieter (if such a thing is possible!) than much of Armatage, but the parts of Kenny convenient to Lyndale have the bonus of easy access to a much more robust commercial strip. We live in Armatage, and walk to Lyndale frequently, mostly for Walgreen's and the library, but sometimes stop in the other businesses. In Armatage you can also relatively easily walk to the businesses in Richfield, although Penn itself isn't that pleasant of a walking street. Still, sometimes it's nice to have that so convenient, and if you're driving the Lund's there is very nice.

Also FYI: if you end up in the area before Halloween, that Lund's usually has a fabulous trick-or-treating event for kids. Also, Wagner's (garden store) on 60th and Penn has quarterly (maybe even more often) family-oriented events, complete with free entertainment, gifts, food, and a nice dose of community spirit. Last year we visited Santa there, and last weekend they were offering free pony rides. And on the other side (although more likely a short drive than a walk, although walking wouldn't be too bad from most of Kenny) is Bachmann's -- I believe that's the original Bachmann's, and they always have a lot of events going on, including free garden events for children. My son loves going there and looking at the fountains and fish.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,924 times
I imagine the original poster made their decision to move or not move. I am writing for anyone else who might read this to say that if you are not a family of color, your chances of getting into Armatage are less than 50%. We have tried now 2 years (for K and 1st grade) and not gotten in. They aim for a calculated mix of students - which is great - but the downside is there are more Caucasian families than there are spots available for them -- it has become very competitive in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul