Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:58 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,056,453 times

Advertisements

Downtown has a mix of new old older stuff.
It really depends on the particular street and building.
It's generally pretty safe. There were those flash mob things but that seems pretty random. Personally when I am there I worry more about getting hassled by some drunk Twins fans than I do flash mobs.

But yeah if there are deals there they are worth checking out. If you expand out of that immediate st. paul area there are loads of options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,043,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darin3 View Post
I'm seeing TON of choices in/around downtown Minneapolis. Should I be looking there as well?
It really does depend on where near downtown you are looking. Some areas near downtown are a bit seedy or at least questionable. Other places are gorgeous. Where exactly are you seeing places that interest you?

You should be able to find something for $650, but that is more in the studio range than 1-bedroom. Most decent 1-bedroom places start in the low $700s and work their way up to $1200 or more. Of course, that higher end is mostly the new, super great stuff.

There should be at least a few sublets near the University area that are 1-bedrooms. I'm subletting something myself (or rather, completely took over someone's lease for the remaining 8 months) and there were certainly other options available. The University area has many quiet spots (mine included) that are close to downtown, and this is especially true in the summer when so many students leave.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:01 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,056,453 times
Oh I will say the main reason I don't like the downtown and near downtown areas of MPLS is because you still need a car to live most anywhere in the Twin Cities, and parking in those neighborhoods sucks. Especially on a budget. It might be cool if you had a place with a parking garage. But doubt that is gonna happen with a $650 budget.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,043,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Oh I will say the main reason I don't like the downtown and near downtown areas of MPLS is because you still need a car to live most anywhere in the Twin Cities, and parking in those neighborhoods sucks. Especially on a budget. It might be cool if you had a place with a parking garage. But doubt that is gonna happen with a $650 budget.
I suppose this depends on how close to downtown he actually means. A place like Whittier, for instance, is pretty close to downtown, and while parking would be tight, it would be entirely possible to find a spot on the street. Loring Park would likely be the same. Now if you live in a condo somewhere in Downtown West, then yeah, you're definitely gonna have some parking problems (although I assume any place you would find would have an underground/garage spot, as street parking wouldn't work.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:29 PM

8 posts, read 11,253 times
Thanks for all the input. Moving along in the process and it's looking like a reality. I really want the downtown vibe, being able to walk to bars, restaurants, grocery store, etc.

Looking at Loring Park, but the options are limited. Looks like Stevens Square is also pretty close to downtown and has similar "walk scores" to Loring Park.

Now, I've been told by some sources there in the Twin Cities that Loring Park is one of the more... well... gay-friendly? neighborhoods in Minneapolis. I most certainly don't have any issue with that, but I would of course rather my bars be of the "sports bar" or "regular joe bar" variety.

So, I guess my questions are... are there good/"normal" bars in Loring Park? Or are some downtown destinations close enough to walk to?

And... is Stevens Square a good, safe alternative?

Thanks for everything, folks. This is a fantastic board!

Old 05-02-2012, 11:23 PM

319 posts, read 531,220 times
Downtown isn't that big here. All of downtown is within walking distance from Loring Park. Loring Park pretty solidly residential, so all the amenities you'll take advantage of, for the most part, are the general downtown amenities. There are plenty of "normal" bars etc.

Some people on here consider Stevens Square a little sketchy, but it's mostly fine if you're street smart about things. I think it's fine, but as a purely relativistic matter, I would rate it as a bit sketchier than Loring Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul