Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:59 AM

9,886 posts, read 11,292,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
And the 100 kids that get cut from the Apple Valley wrestling program and the 1000 kids that get cut from the Apple Valley soccer program and the 400 kids that get cut from the Stillwater football program and the 800 kids that get cut from every sport except football at Eden Prairie. The only sports you don't usually find cuts are cross country and track--which is why we love those sports. Not getting cut and playing, however, are two very different things (except in Cross Country).

When our oldest was 4 we had him in a little soccer program in our town. There were 1500 kids in that program from ages 4-14, the roster at that high school for boys soccer carried 20 kids on the varsity team. What do you think happened to the rest of those kids??
I'm still looking for that 15 year old MN boy who put on the skates for the 1st time and was competitive.

If Kid's in Apple Valley wrestling have a traveling program starting at age 8 and over 250 kid's show up for 70 spots, then I suspect there might be a lot of Kid's going home. Does Apple Valley have 6-10 year old's that have been in wrestling camps for years before age 9? Are their Wrestling camps where Apple Valley Kid's spend several thousand dollars a year for training? If so, show me the link. That's one competitive program!

To answer your question about the large soccer. Not a lot of them are playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 AM

411 posts, read 996,950 times
And always remember that ice time at your local pond or outdoor rink is FREE.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
And always remember that ice time at your local pond or outdoor rink is FREE.
How are the flooded skating rinks doing this year?

Old 02-01-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
How are the flooded skating rinks doing this year?
I don't think things are all that great this year. Last year (and most years) the situation is better.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:30 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,496,382 times
Quote:
I'm still looking for that 15 year old MN boy who put on the skates for the 1st time and was competitive.

If Kid's in Apple Valley wrestling have a traveling program starting at age 8 and over 250 kid's show up for 70 spots, then I suspect there might be a lot of Kid's going home. Does Apple Valley have 6-10 year old's that have been in wrestling camps for years before age 9? Are their Wrestling camps where Apple Valley Kid's spend several thousand dollars a year for training? If so, show me the link. That's one competitive program!

To answer your question about the large soccer. Not a lot of them are playing.
Apple Valley has the number one rated wrestling program in the NATION. They have people moving from other states so their kids can participate in their program. They took 13 of the 16 state titles last year. Feel free to look that up.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I don't think things are all that great this year. Last year (and most years) the situation is better.
Then it seems that the Kid who was relying on outdoor ice fell behind another year.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Then it seems that the Kid who was relying on outdoor ice fell behind another year.
I wouldn't rely on it. My point was that to play with peers you don't necessarily have to rely on indoor rinks. So many outdoor rinks go sadly unused when the ice is perfectly fine.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Apple Valley has the number one rated wrestling program in the NATION. They have people moving from other states so their kids can participate in their program. They took 13 of the 16 state titles last year. Feel free to look that up.
If people move in from other States to wrestle in Apple Valley, it sounds like those Kid's who started at age 6 wrestling (and born in Apple Valley) won't be too competitive in that program. You are supporting my point. Are you saying any 15 year old that decides today that he wants to wrestler is going to be competitive in Apple Valley?? It's never too late ya know!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't rely on it. My point was that to play with peers you don't necessarily have to rely on indoor rinks. So many outdoor rinks go sadly unused when the ice is perfectly fine.
When I was young, I walked to the ice rink 4 blocks away. I remember going up to the rink 5-7 days a week. Sometimes I was at the rink for 12 hours on the weekend. Outdoor ice is the place to try all of those new moves!

Old 02-01-2012, 02:28 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,172,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I started hockey when I was 12 years old, ended up flying circles around all the other kids. Some people are good at sports, some aren't. Whether your kid starts at 9 or 5 isn't going to make a difference, what is going to make a difference is his athletic ability. If he's gonna suck he's gonna suck, if he's gonna be good he's gonna be good.
And if you were in Michigan, it's a fairly competitive hockey state in its own right. Of course, the local programs makes a difference, too. Was your local area competitive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul