Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 04:52 PM

25 posts, read 46,511 times

Advertisements

I'm 25, my wife is 26. We're moving to the Minneapolis area in the near future from the Vancouver, BC area. I'm originally from Wisconsin, so I'm familiar with the weather. Can anyone give any suggestions on suburbs/areas to live near the MSP airport (where I'll be working)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 05:05 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,716,900 times
Forget the suburbs and move to south or southwest Minneapolis. The great thing about Minneapolis is you don't have to stay outside the city limits in order to have nice schools and a great neighborhood.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:25 PM

yeah, but we're kind of looking to rent a house or something with a yard and closer to the countryside...my wife is pretty tired of living IN Vancouver (noise, cars, people everywhere, etc). looking for a bit more quiet

Old 07-23-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhick52 View Post
yeah, but we're kind of looking to rent a house or something with a yard and closer to the countryside...my wife is pretty tired of living IN Vancouver (noise, cars, people everywhere, etc). looking for a bit more quiet
Ok, but you'd better modify your inquiry to drop the "near the airport" part because the suburbs near the airport are not closer to the countryside and there are noise, cars, and people everywhere.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:20 PM

that's why I'm on this forum, I'm not familiar with the TC. I'm willing to commute 20-25 minutes. any other suggestions, from anyone else?

Old 07-23-2011, 07:48 PM

24 posts, read 77,311 times
richfield and Bloomington is going to be noisy because the airport is close also the population and car traffic as at a good amount . 494 has one the worst in the country . try edina, st.louis park, hopkins, new hope, golden valley these are smaller nice towns just west of minneapolis . Or you can try apple valley, burnsville or eagan they are just south of the river and right by the airport. hope this helps!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Paul Rice Street View Post
richfield and Bloomington is going to be noisy because the airport is close also the population and car traffic as at a good amount . 494 has one the worst in the country . try edina, st.louis park, hopkins, new hope, golden valley these are smaller nice towns just west of minneapolis . Or you can try apple valley, burnsville or eagan they are just south of the river and right by the airport. hope this helps!
When the OP said they wanted a "yard" and to be "closer to the countryside" I got the impression that they wanted some property in a third ring suburb. Maybe a bit more of a description from the OP would be helpful. Do you want to be closer to work or closer to the country? (because the airport is in a VERY urban area.) Are you commuting in rush hour? (Because you can't go very far from the airport in 20 minutes during rush hour.) How big of a lot are you thinking of? What sort of house? Do you want a place with a small town feel or modern American burb? What sort of amenities are you looking for? Night life, restaurants, parks, golf courses, lakes? How much can you pay? Schools a consideration? I think that the more specific you can be, the more helpful we can be.

Sorry to be so off in steering you to the city, but my suggestion did meet all of your original criteria. So if you could be a bit more expansive in your explanation.....

Old 07-24-2011, 05:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Apple Valley and Rosemount would be good places to start. Easy, EASY commute to the airport, lovely areas, lots of wooded areas with nice yards, etc.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:52 AM

thank you all! i've been looking at Hopkins...has a small town feel from what I see on the internet. that's what we're looking for.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:01 AM

sorry Glenfield for not being more specific, we're looking for a big yard...close to parks or wooded areas. I make ~85,000 a year and my wife works part time. I would probably being commuting in rush hour. being around a lake would be awesome, too. like i said before, Hopkins looks pretty nice...I like that small town look. is the commute to the airport okay from there?

I'm glad someone ruled out Bloomington for me, we were looking at that before, but I'm not interested in airport noise, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul