Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:17 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhick52 View Post
sorry Glenfield for not being more specific, we're looking for a big yard...close to parks or wooded areas. I make ~85,000 a year and my wife works part time. I would probably being commuting in rush hour. being around a lake would be awesome, too. like i said before, Hopkins looks pretty nice...I like that small town look. is the commute to the airport okay from there?

I'm glad someone ruled out Bloomington for me, we were looking at that before, but I'm not interested in airport noise, etc..
You would be going through two bottleneck's to get to the airport from Hopkins. I wouldn't want that commute. The trick here is to divide the cities up into a pie-using 35 as your north/south and 94 as your east/west roughly. If you stay in your 1/4 wedge of the pie your commute should be pretty easy. For working at the airport as long as you stay between the river in South St. Paul and 35W in the Bloominton/Richfield area, you won't have much to worry about for commutes. If you go past those, you will experience at least one bottleneck, adding time to your commute.

Lake property here is very expensive, I wouldn't count on finding something you can afford on a lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 10:29 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,391,713 times
Sounds like Hopkins would be a good fit. Other places that have a "small town look" in the Twin Cities area that might be worth checking into are White Bear Lake, Anoka, Excelsior, Stillwater, Northfield and Hastings.

According to Google Maps, the distance/time you'd be looking at from these places are:

Hopkins - 15 miles, 23 minutes
White Bear Lake - 22 miles, 29 minutes
Northfield - 39 miles, 45 minutes
Hastings - 27 miles, 31 minutes
Stillwater - 30 miles, 40 minutes
Excelsior - 22 miles, 31 minutes
Anoka - 34 miles, 44 minutes

Old 07-24-2011, 02:22 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,723,596 times
The direction that golfgal was taking you in is the right one... Eagan, Inver Grove Heights, Rosemount, etc. Don't get too hung up on the Main St. In Hopkins. It's full of apartments and would be a terrible commute.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:54 PM

25 posts, read 46,537 times
okay thanks for the Hopkins info (commuting and stuff). so apple valley and rosemount would have a smaller town feel, with decent amenties, and a doable commute to the airport?

we're not looking to live ON the lake, but near one would be nice...not essential. golf courses are also nice...ymca...something that can be close because we're both outdoorsy and like to keep fit.

plus we have a dog (large)

Last edited by andrewhick52; 07-24-2011 at 03:09 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhick52 View Post
okay thanks for the Hopkins info (commuting and stuff). so apple valley and rosemount would have a smaller town feel, with decent amenties, and a doable commute to the airport?

we're not looking to live ON the lake, but near one would be nice...not essential. golf courses are also nice...ymca...something that can be close because we're both outdoorsy and like to keep fit.

plus we have a dog (large)
Rosemount has a small town feel and all the amenities you need are right next door in Apple Valley-best of both worlds. There is a small, so-so golf course in Rosemount but there are a dozen or so within easy driving distance that have a variety of different tracks to play. It's 15 minutes to the airport from here-even in bad traffic because of the numerous route options . The area is full of walking/bike paths, sidewalks, Lebanon Hills County park is right on the Rosemount/Eagan/Apple Valley border. It's a GREAT area!!

Old 07-24-2011, 04:14 PM

812 posts, read 2,174,950 times
The Chaska area comes to mind. It's smaller and has a smaller town feel.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You would be going through two bottleneck's to get to the airport from Hopkins. I wouldn't want that commute. The trick here is to divide the cities up into a pie-using 35 as your north/south and 94 as your east/west roughly. If you stay in your 1/4 wedge of the pie your commute should be pretty easy. For working at the airport as long as you stay between the river in South St. Paul and 35W in the Bloominton/Richfield area, you won't have much to worry about for commutes. If you go past those, you will experience at least one bottleneck, adding time to your commute.
This is an interesting angle. As I recall just a few days ago you were bragging about how easy it was to commute across town from Rosemount to Wayzata...now you're suddenly pulling a 180 and trying to discourage another poster from commuting across town. How is it that you basically made the complete opposite suggestion in a matter of just a few days? I would hate to think that you're trying re-frame advice in different ways in an effort to steer basically every poster seeking housing advice in this forum into the southern suburbs...but lately I'm starting to wonder.

Here is the topic being referenced:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/minne...-valley-2.html

Old 07-24-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
This is an interesting angle. As I recall just a few days ago you were bragging about how easy it was to commute across town from Rosemount to Wayzata...now you're suddenly pulling a 180 and trying to discourage another poster from commuting across town. How is it that you basically made the complete opposite suggestion in a matter of just a few days? I would hate to think that you're trying re-frame advice in different ways in an effort to steer basically every poster seeking housing advice in this forum into the southern suburbs...but lately I'm starting to wonder.

That poster was ok with a longer commute and wanted to be farther out from the city and wanted to live in the AV area--it's called answering the questions asked Besides, the south suburbs make the most sense for someone that wants suburban living with an easy commute to the airport.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:42 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,723,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post

She's not the only one to recommend the same area a number of times. I know that I've done it. I think it comes down to what the posters know and what they like. In most cases both are pretty limited. I've lived in three parts of the TC, SW suburbs, NW suburbs, and Minneapolis. So if one of those there areas seems to fit, I'll recommend it. I don't know the other areas or, to the extent I do know them, I don't like them. In this particular case, I do think the OP confined themselves to a very limited area with the request for a 20-25 minute commute. I think that everyone who has driven around the airport at rush hour knows that you aren't going too far with that limit.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That poster was ok with a longer commute and wanted to be farther out from the city and wanted to live in the AV area--it's called answering the questions asked Besides, the south suburbs make the most sense for someone that wants suburban living with an easy commute to the airport.
Is it wrong for me to be hesitant in buying this explanation? Lucky for you the other poster was looking in Apple Valley, because had that been Savage, Prior Lake, Woodbury, Shakopee or Burnsville you would have had to steer them back to the Eagan/Apple Valley/Rosemount area....I'm sorry, but your shameless biases to selected areas no matter what somebody's criteria is gets a little old after a while.

It should probably be revealed to the OP that there is going to be a very marginal amount of difference found in all of those suburbs. If I didn't see city name signs on the road I could easily mistake any one of those places for the other....in other words, there is nothing magical about the Apple Valley, Rosemount, Eagan areas that you can't find in any of those other places. I could probably add Lakeville, Farmington, Inver Grove Heights, Cottage Grove and a dozen other places to that list too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul