Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:49 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I've already asked a variation of this same question elsewhere in the WI forum but I have to ask it again here:

Can someone help me understand this fascination with moving from the upper Midwest to Florida? So you move from one place that requires climate control to be habitable 6 months out of the year to a different place that requires climate control to be habitable 6 months out of the year, the main difference being which half of the year requires climate control to be habitable. To my dying day, I will never understand why it is supposedly so much more desirable to live some place that's hotter than twenty Hells in the summer. I can see why the California coast is packed with people. I don't understand the same for southern Florida, or why whole cities are springing up out of nothing in the middle of the desert.
People have multiple reasons for doing so.

Sunshine, it's sunnier in warmer places. People want to see the sun more often than it shines in the upper Midwest.

People like to be outside but not in layers. Sure you can bundle up in windy frigid temps, and cover extremeties, but many people want to be outside in as little clothing as possible.

As I've posted here before...I've been in 115 degree dry desert heat and been outside for lunch. It's tolerable to many people. It's sunny, warm, and people can be in the shade for long periods and do just fine.

Southern Florida 90 degrees and humid type temps are tolerable to many people.

I'm sure many people would like 80 and no humidity etc...and have everything be perfect, but given extreme cold, wind, cloudy, etc...vs extreme heat, many people prefer the latter.

People can go inside and turn on the heat or ac, but when they are outside, they do fine in those places you mentioned. And, even inside, at least the sun is out and the sun helps a lot of people.

Many people here get depressed with the dary dreary days and need the sunlight. Doctors have used "light therapy" for a long time helping some people with depression. It's a very real thing for some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 09:51 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
I will say this, if my wife decides to stay in WI b/c of family. Then I'm stuck!!! and I would have to buy a house in the Eastside, Brewers Hill, Bayview, Walker's Point, Third Ward(condo). I won't live in the suburbs, nothing against the 'burbs there just not my style.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:56 PM

Default How Very True.

Quote:
People can go inside and turn on the heat or ac, but when they are outside, they do fine in those places you mentioned. And, even inside, at least the sun is out and the sun helps a lot of people.

Many people here get depressed with the dary dreary days and need the sunlight. Doctors have used "light therapy" for a long time helping some people with depression. It's a very real thing for some people.
In the meantime I am looking to buy these lights. I hear they cost 200ish. Yes I guess if I had to say so myself it would be the sunlight that is more of the catalyst more than anything. Just seeing the sun is huge. Like today it was extremely cold 18 degrees and I have floor to ceiling windows and with my heat in my house at 74 and the sun shinning in I felt like I was in Miami. But I still didn't leave the house much just ran to blockbuster to rent more Lost dvd's(on season 3).

Old 03-01-2009, 09:57 PM

Light therapy is a way to treat seasonal affective disorder, depression and certain other conditions by exposure to bright artificial light. During light therapy, you sit or work near a device called a light therapy box. The light therapy box gives off bright light that mimics natural outdoor light.
Exposure to bright light from a light therapy box is thought to alter your circadian rhythms and suppress your body's natural release of melatonin. Together, these cause biochemical changes in your brain that help reduce or control symptoms of seasonal affective disorder and other conditions. Light therapy is also known as bright light therapy or phototherapy

Old 03-01-2009, 10:36 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I have been to phoenix, I have family out there. Phoenix to me is a lot hotter than Miami. I really enjoyed the afternoon storms and the storms in general in South Florida.
After you made this thread, you are no longer Mr. Milwaukee... I AM!

Old 03-01-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
After you made this thread, you are no longer Mr. Milwaukee... I AM!
Ha funny but until the king leaves his throne for another kingdom you'll just have to wait.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:15 PM

137 posts, read 294,730 times
I moved to Milwaukee from the south for work...I worked for a professional sports team in Milwaukee and absolutely loved it. But I did it for less than 5 years b/c I hated the winters and they ultimately won out. It was non-stop grey and black ice all the friggin time. I'll take heat and high humidity any day. At least there's sunshine.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:45 PM

My 500th post!!!! yeah...I need a life.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:29 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
Default On the hot summers v. cold winters thing

Overall, I kind of agree - a bit - with those that can't quite understand why you'd leave a Milwaukee (long, cold, unbearable winters) for a Phoenix or Miami (long, hot, unbearable summers).

To me, if you are going to leave a place like MKE for weather largely, ideally you'd pick a place like Albuquerque, El Paso, Sacramento, Memphis, Louisville, etc., etc., etc. where it is much more temperate in general year-round (eg: not 6 month hellacious summers).

However, I will also say that while I am not banging down Phoenix's door largely for climatic reasons as noted by others (and referenced in the preceeding paragraph) among other reasons, *IF* one had to chose between a 6-month long, unbearable summer v. a 6-month long, unbearable winter, overall, the summer would win.

Why?

Well, you don't have to shovel / snowblow the heat. You don't have to worry about sliding / skidding / ending up in the ditch in heat.

Moreover though - and this is a huge deal to me - you'll still see the trees / living plant life living / existing in the heat. Yes, not *everything* exactly thrives in Phoenix's 110 degree summers, however, you'll still see the living things that do live in the desert...living.

Here, I get down because the only thing living plant-wise in the winter is the evergreen stuff. Well, I know that all of the dormant trees / plants are "living"...however, I think folks know what I mean.

As others have noted too, generally even in the hottest of hot, you'll find more refuges in the evenings / early AMs from the intense heat than you'll find in the coldest of the cold from the bitter cold.

As a parent of young kids, while scorching, unbearable heat isn't exactly enviable, it is still nice to not have to bundle triple layers over the kids (including yourself as well).

Now granted, I realize there are a few advantages of cold over heat too. Overall though, I still think - while neither is ideal - the heat climate gets the edge.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:32 AM

13 posts, read 28,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Overall, I kind of agree - a bit - with those that can't quite understand why you'd leave a Milwaukee (long, cold, unbearable winters) for a Phoenix or Miami (long, hot, unbearable summers).

To me, if you are going to leave a place like MKE for weather largely, ideally you'd pick a place like Albuquerque, El Paso, Sacramento, Memphis, Louisville, etc., etc., etc. where it is much more temperate in general year-round (eg: not 6 month hellacious summers).

However, I will also say that while I am not banging down Phoenix's door largely for climatic reasons as noted by others (and referenced in the preceeding paragraph) among other reasons, *IF* one had to chose between a 6-month long, unbearable summer v. a 6-month long, unbearable winter, overall, the summer would win.

Why?

Well, you don't have to shovel / snowblow the heat. You don't have to worry about sliding / skidding / ending up in the ditch in heat.

Moreover though - and this is a huge deal to me - you'll still see the trees / living plant life living / existing in the heat. Yes, not *everything* exactly thrives in Phoenix's 110 degree summers, however, you'll still see the living things that do live in the desert...living.

Here, I get down because the only thing living plant-wise in the winter is the evergreen stuff. Well, I know that all of the dormant trees / plants are "living"...however, I think folks know what I mean.

As others have noted too, generally even in the hottest of hot, you'll find more refuges in the evenings / early AMs from the intense heat than you'll find in the coldest of the cold from the bitter cold.

As a parent of young kids, while scorching, unbearable heat isn't exactly enviable, it is still nice to not have to bundle triple layers over the kids (including yourself as well).

Now granted, I realize there are a few advantages of cold over heat too. Overall though, I still think - while neither is ideal - the heat climate gets the edge.
I moved from the Milwaukee area in June '08 to take a job in Phoenix. I had lived all my life (53yrs.) in the Milwaukee area. I hated Phoenix. The trees that are around only live because of the automatic watering systems. I can't even call them trees, I couldn't tell you what kind they are, but only are about 15 ft. tall and the small leaves are so sparse they don't even provide shade. I got so sick of palm trees and seeing nothing but dirt. The novelty of desert scenery wore off quick. If you like being near water, forget it. I really missed nature living there. This city has no culture whatsoever. If you like strip malls and restaurants everywhere this is your place. What a joke, going to a strip mall bar. I'll take Milwaukee winters over Phoenix summers any day. A friend in Phoenix talked about the expression "It's dry heat". He would reply "Yeah, like a blowtorch". I couldn't handle it. As far as refuge from the heat at night, in June and July it rarely dipped below 100 degrees. I remember sitting on the porch at a friends apartment and saying how much I hated the heat at night. You just couldn't get away from the heat being outside in the night or day. I missed Milwaukee so much. We really have it great in Milwaukee traffic-wise. The only thing that comforted me was the 2 big ponds at the center of the apartment complex where I lived. There were about a dozen ducks that were always there. I now live in Charleston, SC, on James Island, very close to the ocean (Folly Beach). I still miss Milwaukee, but Charleston is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to. My job in Wisconsin brought me to SC many times so I knew the city. I like the climate here and know all about the humid summer months. Hey, we had a few mid 70's days in January and February. I really like it that you can leave any of the cities here and in 10 minutes feel like you are driving through northern Wisconsin. So, think twice if you leave Milwaukee for Phoenix. Remember those things you loved about Milwauke and Wisconsin in general. You won't find them in Phoenix.

Last edited by mickd; 03-06-2009 at 09:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee