Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 03:53 PM

80 posts, read 548,664 times
Yea I think it is clear Chief of Police Ed Flynn is already doing great. Yea so far the weather may of held some crime down but his programs, his involvement, and his attitude really seems to be pushing the police department to try different ways and improve things..

Also tj7run I think you'll enjoy Milwaukee. Yes we have our problems but much of our city is just as good if not better than many a city I've visited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 10:10 PM

160 posts, read 629,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
Yea I think it is clear Chief of Police Ed Flynn is already doing great. Yea so far the weather may of held some crime down but his programs, his involvement, and his attitude really seems to be pushing the police department to try different ways and improve things..

Also tj7run I think you'll enjoy Milwaukee. Yes we have our problems but much of our city is just as good if not better than many a city I've visited.
Well, we are looking at it as a new adventure. We are preparing for the move, our house goes on the market this week, and we will be flying out there to look for a home after the 4th. We should be there in about a month to two months depending on the home situation. We are looking for new construction, so we will see what we find within a 30 mile radius of New Berlin.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,495 times
Default Milwaukee has lots of cute, quiet neighborhoods

It can be very nice living in Milwaukee - lots of big trees lining the streets of well-kept yards. Older homes are reasonably priced, even in the nicer neighborhoods. Rough spots are scattered around, so it pays to talk to a native before locating yourself. Living in the city has lots of advantages, not the least of which is being close to everything. I would not move here from another state and go straight to the suburbs - most of the action is downtown Milwaukee or thereabouts. Taxes are higher than a lot of cities, but we have to pay for all those parks, roads, public servants and library system somehow.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:57 AM

18 posts, read 140,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickmich View Post
I currently live in Denver. I want to live in a greener city. Something more
lush, with water and bike trails. But nothing butt ugly, either.
if you have money, move to mequon wisconsin. if not, move to port washington (has a bike path!). the fabulous east side of milwaukee is nice but still has its seedy areas. dont go west of the 43 (9th, 10th 11th st etc..,) with cross streets of say, locust, for any reason. i moved out of port washington / west bend when i lived there. i hate snow, no no i loathe snow. not bad in summer. also if you have a mullet or stuck in the 80s, stallis is for you!

Old 09-14-2008, 02:42 PM

295 posts, read 547,388 times
Ugly ??? I don't think so I have had a lot of friend relocate from all over the us to Milw and Everyone likes it here, however I did have one friend tell me there is not enough culture here and I just laughed at her!!! she only lived here for 4 months and lived out on Coldspring road and never even made it downtown or to the eastside.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:33 PM

12 posts, read 96,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickmich View Post
your comments on milwaukee sound promising. I had pretty much written it off after reading a comment from someone on here who said parts of MILW looked like a third world country. Then they went on about the south side and all the
shootings and so on. I am also considering moving to Phoenix, Arizona.
How weird is that that I am considering two places with such different climates. I wonder if it is a reflection of my confused state of mind.
(not intended to be funny). I just love Phoenix in the winter.
I would miss not having a real summer, though. Real summer=thunderstorms,
smell of freshly cut grass, and so on, and so on. I cannot afford to live in
both places. What desert do you live in? Do you rent or own? Just wondering. Thanks.
well i live in phoenix by way of milwaukee and honestly if u can phoenix is nicer by FAR .... the heat is not as bad as u would think

dont get me wrong i love the brew, but phoenix theres no comparison

Old 09-16-2008, 09:59 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,318,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppOllO1990 View Post
well i live in phoenix by way of milwaukee and honestly if u can phoenix is nicer by FAR .... the heat is not as bad as u would think

dont get me wrong i love the brew, but phoenix theres no comparison
You're kidding, right? And yes, I've been to Phoenix; I prefer many other cities, including Milwaukee.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:38 AM

18 posts, read 19,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Milwaukee is a beautiful city with some of the best parks in the nation. It's a clean city too. Perhaps someone can post some pictures for you. Beautiful, well-built homes as well. I miss the homes in Milwaukee.
i strongly disagree with this. Haveing 'parks' doesn't mean 1) that they are any good and 2) they are of decent size

most of Milwaukee is VERY urban and densly packed. Little to no parks. There is no winter activities like skating on majority of parks. Many parks are unsafe as well (I wouldn't want to be caught at Washington Park afterhours!!!!)

There is so much ghetto and trash in Milwaukee its not even funny. They are doing a lot to clean it up, but again, Milwaukee is a very URBAN city. Madison, Twin Cities both blow it away when it comes to parks and what they have to offer.

Just because there is a small park in Milwaukee that has some swingsets and walking paths doesn't mean its any good. The lake front and parks in the suburbs are good, but in the heart of MKE, not soo good.

Last edited by macrabbit; 12-09-2008 at 08:53 AM..

Old 12-09-2008, 09:43 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,694,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrabbit View Post
i strongly disagree with this. Haveing 'parks' doesn't mean 1) that they are any good and 2) they are of decent size

most of Milwaukee is VERY urban and densly packed. Little to no parks. There is no winter activities like skating on majority of parks. Many parks are unsafe as well (I wouldn't want to be caught at Washington Park afterhours!!!!)

There is so much ghetto and trash in Milwaukee its not even funny. They are doing a lot to clean it up, but again, Milwaukee is a very URBAN city. Madison, Twin Cities both blow it away when it comes to parks and what they have to offer.

Just because there is a small park in Milwaukee that has some swingsets and walking paths doesn't mean its any good. The lake front and parks in the suburbs are good, but in the heart of MKE, not soo good.
This is just bizarre. You can say the same thing about most cities.

Minneapolis has plenty of ghetto. I mean classic, hopeless ghetto. Burned out, boarded-up buildings, people hanging out on street corners, and the occasional nasty fried chicken or burger drive-thru. And yes, it's still like that. Sure, driving on the many limited access highways or interstates, or living near campus, or commuting to Minneapolis from Eden Prairie, anyone would think it was beautiful. There are many beautiful areas of the city. But a few trips around the city prove that it's every bit a Midwestern city. It's just bigger, and has more area and population. And it has plenty of nice parks, which Milwaukee also has. I love Minneapolis, but I'm not blind to its rough edges either. It is more worldly.

Madison isn't even relevant. It's a beautiful city. But not a relevant comparison. It boasts 40,000+ students, and thousands of faculty. Then there is the state government. Madison is beautiful, but it's less than 1/3 the size of Milwaukee, and only 1/7 the size of Minneapolis (metro areas). Milwaukee and Minneapolis are remotely comparable, as Milwaukee is about half the size of Minneapolis/St. Paul, of which St. Paul is not the favorite twin. This whole comparison doesn't even make sense. You can't compare Minneapolis to Milwaukee directly--they're the same size on paper, but the areas are much different. Same goes for Madison and either city. I don't think most people considering relocating, would be considering all three cities, or even two of the three, unless already forced to do so by job searches.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:33 AM

22 posts, read 83,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donut001 View Post
if you have money, move to mequon wisconsin. if not, move to port washington (has a bike path!). the fabulous east side of milwaukee is nice but still has its seedy areas. dont go west of the 43 (9th, 10th 11th st etc..,) with cross streets of say, locust, for any reason. i moved out of port washington / west bend when i lived there. i hate snow, no no i loathe snow. not bad in summer. also if you have a mullet or stuck in the 80s, stallis is for you!

stallis? Do you mean West Allis or do you mean Stalis, which is in Crete. Here is a link Stalis | A guide to Stalis, Crete, Greece for 2009.

hehehe..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee