Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:00 AM

395 posts, read 1,865,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
The brown layer I mentioned was in the air, as in smog-I don't see it every day, but it's there
This is true. Every once in awhile Milwaukee's air gets smoggy. As someone with asthma this is no fun. But compares to other large metropolitan areas I've been in, Milwaukee's air quality is about average, I'd say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 11:09 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,819,027 times
Quote:
Now now, some people don't know any better. Denver is good in ways just like Milwaukee is I'm sure. Hey, they've got mountains at least! But we've got Lake Michigan
My post had nothing to do with Denver. I said nothing bad about Denver.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:24 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,598,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
My post had nothing to do with Denver. I said nothing bad about Denver.
Ah, so you really do hate Milwaukee

Old 04-02-2008, 12:59 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,819,027 times
Quote:
Ah, so you really do hate Milwaukee
I thought my first post in this thread was obviously sarcasm. I'll write "sarcasm" next time. Read the original posters questions and follow up. I thought my response was appropriate.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
I thought my first post in this thread was obviously sarcasm. I'll write "sarcasm" next time. Read the original posters questions and follow up. I thought my response was appropriate.
Oh I totally got that you were being sarcastic, I was too w/my comment about him not knowing any better, specifically about listening too much to outsiders views of Milwaukee. I love how everyone thinks people in Milwaukee are fat, lazy, blue collar, closed-minded, yada yada yada & that our city sucks. Try coming here for a visit sometime

Old 04-14-2008, 01:32 PM

9 posts, read 43,821 times
I live in Milwaukee, have all my life. I admit, I do not like it 100%. Not even 85%, all things considered. But I like it pretty decent, and if you want green and parks and such, you've got it, most every year from May through September, give or take a few weeks. Summers are humid, but not at all unbearable in my opinion. Get a good map of the Milw area and you'll see that there are a lot of connecting trails and parks throughout the county. What sucks is if you don't live near the main parks system and don't know any better, because the smaller parks aren't all that great overall.

Housing - there are some really freaking nice houses and neighborhoods in parts of Milwaukee. There are also some fugly houses and terrible neighborhoods where I would never live, nor would I send most of my enemies to live (mind you, I have lived in the near northside ghetto, which is not quite as bad as some southside Chicago areas, but only because it's not nearly as big). If you have serious money, there are very well appointed houses (somewhat away from the lake)in the Washington Highlands area of Milwaukee, and in Wauwatosa, which is not Milwaukee proper (the city) but is mostly sandwiched by it and is very accessible. The East Side is considered hip and trendy (as you go directly north from there it can get a little hoity toity, you know, but that means nice houses), with some nice rental properties & condos, some ok condition historical houses but can be hit or miss depending on the exact block.

My honest opinion overall is, Milwaukee is a pretty nice place to come and visit or spend a short while, if you know where to go. There are great parks, museums, the lakefront, summer festivals, etc. When winter hits, for most people, it sucks...cold, can be brutal, long, dangerous...I swear the drivers actually drive more aggresively the worse the weather gets. In the city, the snow looks pretty for the first few hours, but outside of that, I don't see much appeal.

If your first post sums up you main ideas for moving here, I say go for it. But if you have any other serious considerations, I might reconsider. I have my own more specific reasons why I am thinking of moving out of Milwaukee, but I'll hold my tongue unless I hear more details from you. I am trying to helpful, and I am not unecessarily bashing Milwaukee, fellow Milwaukeeans...just being honest and giving my humble opinion.

Last edited by ByetoWI?; 04-14-2008 at 01:50 PM..

Old 04-14-2008, 03:45 PM

I don't know, I've lived here my entire life as well & I just don't have hatred for it. I think Milwaukee is just fine, it's got its good & bad points. I always think it's what you make of it & I personally feel when people whine about having nothing to do here, it's because they're not looking. I'm thinking of moving one day but that's because I'm a traveler & I want to experience different things, not because of how this city is.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:24 PM

236 posts, read 616,324 times
Milwaukee is oppressive and the job market is racist.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:03 PM

23 posts, read 146,737 times
Milwaukee is very segregated and I really couldn't argue against the racism comment. As a white guy I'd be scared walking around some parts of Milwaukee at night... if i were a black man i certainly wouldn't want to deal with the cops in the suburbs.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:23 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,441,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Ronnie View Post
I'm a bicyclist, and I can honestly think of no other better place to ride anywhere than the Lakeshore bike paths in Milwaukee. You can ride pretty much the entire length of the city, north to south along green, well maintained bike paths. When you're downtown along the lakeshore you do have to share the paths with joggers and roller bladers, but that's because when the weather's nice, the downtown lakefront is hoppin'!
This is very true. When I lived in Milwaukee, I cycled the streets. I sometimes would start at 51st and head straight up Capitol Drive all the way up to 126th st, then back down to the lakefront, down Lincoln Memorial Drive to the ramp (near the art center) then up through downtown, Wash. park and back to 51st and Burleigh. This was my best ride, about 26 miles. I did this every day during the summer. I don't know what it would be like today though. But even with all the beautiful sites here in CA, that Milwaukee ride was my favorite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee