Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,021 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting Milwaukee next month and I was wondering if someone could advised the area(s) of the city I should stay away from. What area of the city or the suburbs should I get a hotel?

I do realize that crime exists everywhere, is just that some areas are more problematic than others.

Thank you for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 09:01 PM

448 posts, read 1,819,551 times
It depends on where you want to be but getting a hotel downtown is always a safe bet. You will be close to all the fun things. Anywhere downtown is safe. The east side and Bay View are safe. Wauwatosa is safe as is everything further west and southwest. Of course most of those areas are also boring for a tourist. Downtown and the lake front will present you with plenty of opportunities for fun.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egmarti View Post
I'll be visiting Milwaukee next month and I was wondering if someone could advised the area(s) of the city I should stay away from. What area of the city or the suburbs should I get a hotel?

I do realize that crime exists everywhere, is just that some areas are more problematic than others.

My favorite hotel is the Iron Horse Hotel. The Iron Horse Hotel - Luxury Boutique Hotel Suites in Milwaukee, Wisconsin - Welcome

The location is convenient to downtown. I stayed there recently; only a month ago, and I stayed for a long weekend. If you like walking and don't mind the cooler weather, you can easily walk downtown from the hotel. I did several times, via the Third Ward. I would probably get a cab to ride home after dark, not that it's dangerous, just that it's a city and it's easier to get a cab after dark.

The hotel looks great on the web, but it's even better in person. It's a converted old multi-story manufacturing or warehouse type facility in a very old area of the city, with some great views, and a great bar and restaurant. The hotel caters to upscale motorcyclists, as it is right across the canal from the Harley-Davidson museum. It basically caters to any upscale clientele. I had an upgraded room, but even the standard rooms look very beautiful. The staff of the hotel was remarkably friendly. I look to the staff's general demeanor to tell me how the hotel is run, who owns it, and how they value their guests. If the staff is nice and the people are friendly, it says a lot about the management and perhaps the ownership. History has proved me correct many times, and I've never lost a new hire to another job in 18 years of hiring and training future management, so I'm on target and I have more than just a little expertise with this.

If you want to stay near Lake Michigan, you could try the County Clare Irish inn and pub. County Clare Irish Inn - Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I've stayed there too and liked it a lot. It's got a different vibe (it's an Irish pub and inn, after all). Very nice accommodations, nice staff, and the bar and restaurant are full all weekend long. Although I haven't stayed there for a couple of years, I can't imagine that it's changed much.

There is also Hotel Metro, home of a great cocktail lounge. I have stayed there for a few nights within the last year. Metro is just all right for me. It's a nice enough hotel, has a great lounge and good drinks and a very nice, central location. I stayed there within the last year.

The Pfister is nice, and although I haven't stayed there, the location is ideal. I've spent plenty of time at the top, in the cocktail lounge.

There are other nice options in the city. Hyatt, Hilton, Intercontinental. I stayed at the Intercontinental about a year ago, for several nights. It's not bad; not great either. The Hyatt is nice enough. There is a new Aloft opening downtown, but not until later this year.

Aside from that, you could stay in the suburbs, but unless your primary reason for being here is suburban, I wouldn't bother. Suburbs are suburbs, and suburban hotels are suburban hotels. If you've seen one, you've seen them all.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:48 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Nice work, good recommendations! I live not to far from the Iron Horse and I have always wanted to stay there or at least stop by for a drink but haven't yet. The place looks packed every time I drive past and they seem to draw a well heeled crowd. I read about 30 reviews online and people from all over the nation just raved about that place. They said things like the hotel belongs in LA or NYC. Anyways it's a great addition to Walker's Point and I hope to stop there soon before the old man winter stops by.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:39 PM

118 posts, read 436,838 times
You'll be OK in most of Milwaukee so long as you have street-smarts. The only area of the city that I would advise people to stay away from would be the area between 35th & 8th/Center & Capitol. This area is particularly bad, even in daylight hours.

I think North Avenue is fine, as is Walnut and Vliet, though most people wouldn't want to be there at night. I've been in these areas at night and I have been O.K.

There isn't much in these areas that I think tourists would go to, other than Jake's, though.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:14 PM

6 posts, read 13,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egmarti View Post

The downtown area is the best alot of hotels, close to the airport is good, if your looking for the bar scene water street has it all, as well as brady street, if your looking for a good place to eat toppers pizza is good and moe's steak house, if you have any other concerns I can answer them been living here for 47 years I know all sides of milwaukee and the bad areas as well as the good areas gl

Old 09-20-2009, 03:28 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
good place to eat toppers pizza is good
Am I the only one who thinks topper stinks? I have yet to find someone that agrees with me that toppers pizza is just not good.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:47 PM

118 posts, read 436,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Am I the only one who thinks topper stinks? I have yet to find someone that agrees with me that toppers pizza is just not good.
Never tried 'em. They don't strike me as the kind of joint that would give me good pizza for an honest price. Actually, they strike me as the exact opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee