Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:19 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arimor View Post
milwaukee is boring in many things point blank i wish it was like chicago

the city shuts down after 5pm
Milwaukee "shuts down" after 5pm!!? Waaaahhh???

What about Water Street? The East Side? The Third Ward?? Walker's Point?? The Riverside/PAC/Pabst Theater/Rep??

What about the 81 Brewers games complete with tailgating and pre/post game festivities at places on Bluemound near Miller Park?? What about Downtown during/before/after Milwaukee Bucks/Marquette U. bball/UWM bball/Admirals hockey games??

What about all of the church and street festivals in the summer??

Milwaukee may deserve criticism here and there, but I just fail to see any way one could say that the city "shuts down" after 5pm.

Do you live in Milwaukee or a close-in suburb, or do you live in Waterford, West Bend, or Port Washington??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
i can agree with much of this but i dont think neigborhoods like that should have action. when you think of city size do you think in terms of population or the city size itself meaning land mass? i made a thread about other cities with smaller land mass and or the same amount or similar people population and rapid transportation...

overall i think milwaukee can do better, there should be skate park here
A skate park!!??? Seriously, I don't think a skate park is going to make a city "more alive" or "more like Chicago"...Chicago is the 3rd biggest city in the US, one of the world's bigger cities, and a metro population over 9 million. There aren't many cities that have the sheer mass of population that Chi-Town does.

However, Milwaukee is the 22nd biggest city in the nation and its metro is over 1.5+ million...there is plenty to do in this city.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:34 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
i can agree with much of this but i dont think neigborhoods like that should have action. when you think of city size do you think in terms of population or the city size itself meaning land mass?

overall i think milwaukee can do better, there should be skate park here
Everywhere can do better. I live in a city with 4 million people... culturally Milwaukee is better. Phoenix has a downtown that looks like Schaumburg, IL with a big stadium. And they have night clubs in strip malls. Sorry, regardless of how many Hummers are in the lot, or how many velvet ropes draw crowds who are dying to get behind them, a night club in a strip mall, is still a joke.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Everywhere can do better. I live in a city with 4 million people... culturally Milwaukee is better. Phoenix has a downtown that looks like Schaumburg, IL with a big stadium. And they have night clubs in strip malls. Sorry, regardless of how many Hummers are in the lot, or how many velvet ropes draw crowds who are dying to get behind them, a night club in a strip mall, is still a joke.
Agreed (RE: Phoenix). One thing a city like Milwaukee strongly has going for it is its history/culture/uniqueness. Milwaukee is at its best when it not only mixes the modern in, but combines it with what makes Milwaukee distinctively different, unique, and a special place.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,397 times
Heck no it's not boring. Everyone has stated the case eloquently but just wanted to give my .02. I moved here from Florida 11 years ago and have fallen in love with this place. It's not perfect but it does have a lot to offer.

I have seen a lot of changes in the past few years -- lots more upscale and cool places to eat and shop, etc. This weekend we also went to Milwaukee's 5th annual International Film Festival; I'm thrilled that we are starting to grow and change for the better.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,380 times
I lived in Milwaukee for 34 years and being of African descent-I find that Milwaukee has a lot to offer people of different nationalities. Being an African American male, Milwaukee discusses me

Old 09-30-2007, 05:10 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,813 times

"I defy someone to stay like I did in a decent downtown Milwaukee hotel (try the Hilton around 5th street"

hey dude I think there are a lot of people who can't afford the Hilton. There used to be the Wisconsin Hotel that closed but other than that if you want a hotel that a lot of people can afford they have to go west a few miles.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
"I defy someone to stay like I did in a decent downtown Milwaukee hotel (try the Hilton around 5th street"

hey dude I think there are a lot of people who can't afford the Hilton. There used to be the Wisconsin Hotel that closed but other than that if you want a hotel that a lot of people can afford they have to go west a few miles.
Hey, that's fine. I know I cannot afford to eat out at alot of the restaurants that are highly touted in Milwaukee or that get discussed here, however, I don't think then they should be excluded from discussion, just because "alot of people can't afford to eat there."

Old 10-02-2007, 09:58 PM

11 posts, read 51,039 times
Milwaukee is what you make of it. The place is like any other city in terms of things to do, you really have to look for things to do. Milwaukee, lets be realistic is a huge bar town. This place has the most concentration of bars in a square mile than any other state or city in the union. The cost of doing things with family if you have children can be expensive such as taking the kids to a brewers or bucks game. However milwaukee has a nice park system, if the leadership does not layoff all the county parks worker and help maintain the parks then the parks will remain in good condition.

Finding things to do really depends on what you want to do. Milwaukee is no paradise as some will have you think but it is decent. Just do not come here with high expectations not that we do not have high expectations. Out of towners listen to what is said here from locals who love their town and tend to speak favorably of Milwaukee. You want to find out what it is like here, then by all means experience for yourself and decide. Good luck!

Old 10-03-2007, 04:14 PM

80 posts, read 548,468 times
Well in this last year Forbes named Milwaukee the drunkest city in American and Maxim named us the #2 Party city in America so if you call that boring then bore me some more!

To me the Milwaukee St nightclubs are on par with any in the country. Cathedral Square (Taylors/Flans) is too much fun thursday nights when Jazz in the Park is going on. The EastSide is well special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee