Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 9,883 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am from Canada with job offer in Milwaukee. I am originally from India. I have a small family - wife and 5 year daughter. This will be a big move for us.

I have no idea of how expensive the city is and safe it is. Can someone please provide input on:

Is there racism ?
Are there people from India in Milwaukee ?
Are the Public elementary schools good or one has to go for Private and how expensive are Private elementary schools?
How is the climate in general ?
What is good average salary ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2006, 09:03 AM

246 posts, read 329,370 times
Default Moving to Milwaukee

Hi Golu,

Milwaukee is a fairly reasonably priced place compared to Chicago in the south, but the property taxes are steep. It can be dangerous in parts, but those spots are pretty easy to learn and avoid.

As far as racism is concerned, I happen to think it's no worse or better than most major cities. As a person of Indian extraction I would expect you would find little or no problems. I work with a very large number of people from India, and they have quite an active social scene here. There's even an Indo-Pak cricket club.

The quality of the schools are really a function of the neighborhood. Areas north of downtown and between I-43 & the lake (Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, Bayside, Mequon, Cedarburg) all have very nice neighborhoods and top-notch public schools. I'm sure there are other nice areas but I can't comment with any authority.

Salary depends on the job, really. I moved to Milwaukee from Chicago and made the same pay.

Climate...well, let's just say that living in Canada has prepared you for the worst.

Good luck with your move.
Magpies

Old 07-02-2006, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 9,875 times
Red face Moving to Milwaukee

Hi,

I am a small town guy from North Carolina who has taken an interest and learning some things about moving to Milwaukee next summer.

I've never lived in a big city, just a small town, so maybe someone could give me some pointers to relocating, finding an apartment, where to go, where not to go, etc...
I am looking forward to moving there.
I would like for Milwaukee to feel like home and be home for me.

Old 07-02-2006, 07:12 PM

Hi Kendall,

Where to rent all depends on what you're looking for lifestyle-wise. If you want to be near the action, nightlife, etc., you'd want to focus your efforts on the Eastside. If you look at a map, the area is bounded by UW-Milwaukee on the North, Lake Mich on the East, Downtown on the South, and the Milwaukee River on the West. But bear in mind it's an urban, young, bohemian sort of area. Not small town if that's what you're after. Another area to consider is Shorewood. It's more "neighborhoody" with houses & kids, but there's good rental stock there too. Craigslist has a lot of listings for those areas.

If you're after more suburban, you may find apartments in areas like Brookfield, Franklin, Mequon and to my knowledge there aren't any dangerous areas there. It's pretty much Brady Bunch land, so it's kinda not my area of expertise.

As for places to avoid, the easy thing is to draw a square on a map bounded by I-43 on the east, I-94 on the south, Brown Deer on the North, and Hwy 100 on the west. There may be nice spots in that area that the locals know, but since you're a newcomer you'd be better off to avoid it altogether instead of risking a choice you'd later regret.

Good luck on your move.

Magpies

Old 07-07-2006, 12:40 AM

20 posts, read 81,234 times
i wouldnt quite say that overall area isnt safe. the most dangerous areas are north of north avenue, west of I43, east of 60th, south of capital. particularly centered along Locust west of I43 and Fon Du Lac Ave south of capital. Like Magpies said, if you're looking for fun and vibrance, the eastside is where you wanna be. Full of young professionals and college students, bars, clubs, a university, huge condo high-rises and Massive homes. Its pretty dense though. Its one of the densest places in the country! If you like a small town feel, the east side is NOT for you. I also grew up in a small town 70 miles northwest of Milwaukee and have since moved here for college once i graduated. I go to UW-Milwaukee and I love it here. I'm really considering staying here or Chicago in the future Hell in 5 years Chicago and Milwaukee will be part of the same metro area as Racine and Kenosha continue grow together. Welcome to Chilwaukee, home to nearly 13,000,000 people!

If you want to live in more quiet burbs and you make a fairly nice income, choose some of the outer suburbs from the north making a big circle all along to the south, encircling the city. Mequon, Thiensville, Bayside, River Hills, Fox Point, along I-43 towards Green Bay. Menominee Falls and Germantown along 41 towards Fond du Lac. Then the burbs to the west along I-94 to the west to Madison all the way until Summit and Occonomowoc (too many to bother listing). Lots of money in these areas. Also Glendale and Greendale and all the other ""Greensomething's" or "Somethingdale's" along the 894 bypass and I-90/94 to the south towards Chicago. T

he city Milwaukee itself is pretty segregated. The eastside is probably the most diverse in people. Look around on this site at some of the places i listed and look on google maps 'satellite' function to see how these places are spread out. PM me if you want any more info

Last edited by D-res; 07-07-2006 at 12:46 AM..

Old 07-17-2006, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 14,428 times
Wink Give it a try

To Golu and Kendall,
Magpies and D-res gave good information. Unfortunately, the boundaries defined as "areas to avoid" pretty much describe an apartheid topography. Sadly, a survey labeled Milwaukee as "hyper-segregated" a number of years ago. Still, there are many positive points about the area. As someone born and raised here I am both nostalgic about the loss of areas of "old Milwaukee" and enthusiastic about the revitalization. Life is change. Be advised, the East side where my roots are would be my preferred place of residence but has become unaffordable. The "hip and trendy" east side is also the place to be for arts, culture, and entertainment. The burbs are pricey yet have plenty of reasonably-priced rental property. Wisconsin in general is known for its high tax base.

For families, Milwaukee has a lot to offer in its great park system, plentiful libraries, outstanding zoo, and downtown Betty Brinn Museum and the new Discovery World scheduled to open in fall. These last two are set against the beautiful backdrop of Lake Michigan and immediately north of the Summerfest grounds where the "City of Festivals" celebrates ethnic diversity throughout the summer.

Another advantage is being midway between rural/small town atmosphere (like Green Bay north and state capitol Madison west) and Chicago just 1-1/2 hour south. Great variety in landscape, weather, and people. And we love food! Unfortunately there are racists and mean-spirited people wherever you go in the world, but also good people. Like attracts like I guess. Best of luck to you on your journey!

Old 08-21-2006, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 21,946 times
Default Moving to Milwaukee

To Golu: I am kind of in a similar situation as you except i will be moving from California. I would like to know your experience so far with milwaukee.

To All: I got my Job offer last week and was really looking forward to the city but i looked at some postings on this site as well as some other sites which frankly.. are not encouraging.
I have a week to decide on this and i am trying to gather as much infomation as i can.

I will really appreciate anyone's reply.

Thanks.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlahan View Post
To Golu: I am kind of in a similar situation as you except i will be moving from California. I would like to know your experience so far with milwaukee.

To All: I got my Job offer last week and was really looking forward to the city but i looked at some postings on this site as well as some other sites which frankly.. are not encouraging.
I have a week to decide on this and i am trying to gather as much infomation as i can.

I will really appreciate anyone's reply.

Thanks.
Hi,

So what did you hear that's put you off? Maybe we can confirm, deny or at least explain...

Magpies

Old 08-27-2006, 01:33 PM

324 posts, read 1,528,474 times
a good place to look an apartment is around the medical complex on WI ave like across from froedert. I lived at 93rd & WI ave and loved it there. kendall where in NC..i am now in raleigh...

Old 08-27-2006, 02:00 PM

3 posts, read 21,946 times
Hi Magpies,
Sorry about the late reply, i had hard time finding this website again.

Well the first thing being the people being not welcoming to outsiders. And i have heard this from my American Californian friends.

Second you said to Golu that living in canada prepared him for the worst. How bad does this actually gets. I have never lived in a place where it snows. I am really having hard time to guage the difficulty in living in milwaukee in cold weather. Some people say it will be very difficult for you, some say you will get used to it. I don't have much of a outdoor life style anyway so i am guessing i will be ok with this. What do you think?

I really appreciate your reply.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee