Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 06:31 PM

3 posts, read 15,480 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just enlisted about a week ago and I was told for 42A I need a secret clearance. Everything else is good I have no criminal history or anything. the only things that are of concern are my credit and being fired from my last job. My mom opened an account in my name while I was living in new York and I never knew about it until recently but she pays on it, so my credit score has dropped I believe to between 617 and 642 ( she has opened and used my credit since I was in high school and I couldn't really say anything without being kicked out and being homeless ). also I was fired from a job while in new York. they said I falsified a document even though the girl that was working with me that morning saw me do no such thing. she told the LP investagtor but he still insisted and stated that I came back to change it even though there was no record of me ever entering the store on the day in question which I wrote in my statement. no charges were ever filed. I honestly believe it was a case of profiling because the same thing kept happening to people of color at that store and this was not the first time he has accused me of something. Im just wondering if any of this will result in the denial of a clearance considering I have never been in trouble for anything in my entire life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 07:48 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
You are sworn in?

Probably not going to be an issue.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:30 PM

241 posts, read 316,670 times
My credit was in the low 600's and I got a TS. As long as you don't have a criminal history or lied you are ok. Heck there are some people with misdemeanors who get secret clearances now.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:00 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,576 times
You'll be fine. Getting a Secret clearance is no big deal. I was a 42A in the Army National Guard. Pretty easy gig, good for going to school at night and getting your degree...if you're so inclined.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:22 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
I will tell you that they have really cracked down on security clearances and credit history is playing a much bigger part then it did in the past. I've had several Sailors and civilians get their clearances denied due to poor credit history's. Most were from short sales or foreclosures during the housing downturn.

Yours seems to be an issue that wasn't caused by yourself so you should be fine as long as you're honest and upfront about it.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:31 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
One of the most important things of a TS clearance is to make sure you aren't in a financial position to be tempted to divulge secret information for money. As far as being fired for a job... Who hasn't? If the military needs you to have a clearance and can't find any valid reason to disqualify you, you'll be OK. Answer all their questions truthfully. When I got mine years ago, they found that I'd forgotten about an under-age alcohol offense I was questioned about but never charged with over 10 years before. They were more concerned that I didn't mention it, rather than the severity of it. They have access to everything you've ever done and will find out.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 15,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You are sworn in?

Probably not going to be an issue.

Yes I swore in for the DEP program last week however I do not ship until September

Old 02-17-2014, 11:27 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,662 times
I don't know what the military's standards are these days, but I'd venture to guess that if you've made it as far as being sworn in for DEP, you shouldn't have any problem getting a secret clearance.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:53 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Pretty much for a secret clearance all though are going to do is run your credit history and a NAC "national action clearance" which runs your criminal history through the computers for arrests and such.

If I was you I would go ahead and close out the credit account your mom opened in your name, technically it's a felony she committed in opening an account in your name. I would write the account holder notifying them that you would like to close this account as it was opened by a relative in your name without your permission, and would like all negative remarks removed from your credit file.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:30 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,021 times
Times of changed friends, because of the actions of some people breaking bad. OP, you're all right.

I had an "Active" Secret clearance that was good for ten years with my old gig right after the Army. Then my public safety job which required the same, later on I took on my "new gig" which required a step up to a T/S (SCI) Full Scope Clearance, OPM had me on file but needed and wanted to go back further, I still had to re-do my E-86 forms again, wait for my on boarding process that was a green (light) check list in a 12 step process, after all that, I still had to take a poly down at FT Meade to match my E-86 forms and the number # 123 and 4 issues to the OPM was this, Background / Credit / Travel and or relatives Oversea's, Integrity, Honesty, Respect, Duty, ect, ect in that order. They WENT all the way back with credit and history in mind as they go, it's a huge issue if you failed being squared away in your bills and failed in the history of making good on your debt, it makes a differance of getting you're Clearance renewed and that's a fact jack. You will be asked about the issue, no big deal, just be honest if they ask, then move on and get you're s**t squared away and packed straight from here on out. Because in the future, you might want to move on to a rewarding Govt career field.

Good Luck Trooper.
Knight

Last edited by Knightly Knight; 02-17-2014 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues