Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 04:48 PM

98 posts, read 686,189 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

It has been a while! Since I've taken the ASVAB and am close to enlisting as an SMP...the questions!

I was recently told by an E-8 recruiter with 34 years in the Army that I'll need a TS Clearance for 0-2 1st Lieutenant promotion, lots of conflicting info on the web. Very respectable confirmation here, thoughts?

My credit is a concern right now because of my home, negotiations with my bank failed and they won't forgive debt for my underwater home and neither will they lower my monthly payment. I got separated from my ex back in 2010 but I stayed with my mortgage and home after making a deal with the bank and with ex, now things have change and I've decided that my mortgage isn't a good investment as a single dude long term, so my decision leans to strategically default to start over and buy a $40-$60k home cash instead of keeping a $200k+ mortgage. I'm getting my masters degree and ROTC told me to enlist and then the recruiter in charge won't have a problem recruiting me. Will this credit issues two years from now DQ me from a secret clearance as a second lieutenant or a TS clearance for higher ranks for 0-2 and higher ranks? Two years is good amount of time to do a lot of credit fixing and improvements on my end when it comes to credit, thoughts here?

Thanks as always!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 05:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,836,270 times
1. Don't worry about it. You really don't know for now.

2. When and if you get interviewed by DIS, DSA whatever it might be called now, just tell the truth.

3. "0-2 1st Lieutenant promotion" from enlisted is technically and legally not a promotion. It is a commission as an officer...

4. "my decision leans to strategically default to start over and buy a $40-$60k home cash instead of keeping a $200k+ mortgage." I am not sure what that really means... There are too many if's... You are either in the military, or entering the military or you are not. I would not incur any new debt until you know where your boat is going.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
3. "0-2 1st Lieutenant promotion" from enlisted is technically and legally not a promotion. It is a commission as an officer...
Yes, I should have mentioned it. I'm quite likely to graduate from ROTC after finishing my masters degree, so the E-8 recruiter just reminded me that I'd need TS for a 0-2 promotion. Not sure if I should ask again now. I understand it's a commission as an officer, but I am sure I can't stay as an 0-1 forever. Sorry for not explaining myself better, my bad there.

4. "my decision leans to strategically default to start over and buy a $40-$60k home cash instead of keeping a $200k+ mortgage." I am not sure what that really means... There are too many if's... You are either in the military, or entering the military or you are not. I would not incur any new debt until you know where your boat is going.[/quote]

Yes I am saving up my commissions already, just trying to get the best intel in advance so after ROTC I won't get issues with the branch I might like to go with which I haven't even think yet of course. That's all. Boat is stuck, no water coming in yet..just a hard decision as there's just no need to pay $1,400+ a month with maintenance for returning home every night solo with 4 rooms for myself with a few weekend friendly get together's here and there.

I'll be in the military and very likely leaving for BCT in the first months of 2014. Thanks for the good advice Poncho.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:37 PM

5,052 posts, read 6,360,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco View Post
I was recently told by an E-8 recruiter with 34 years in the Army that I'll need a TS Clearance for 0-2 1st Lieutenant promotion, lots of conflicting info on the web. Very respectable confirmation here, thoughts?

[...]

Will this credit issues two years from now DQ me from a secret clearance as a second lieutenant or a TS clearance for higher ranks for 0-2 and higher ranks? Two years is good amount of time to do a lot of credit fixing and improvements on my end when it comes to credit, thoughts here?

Thaks as always!
He may have 34 years in the Army, but either he has no clue what he's talking about or you're misunderstanding him. NO, you do not need a TS clearance for ANY Army rank unless you are either in

a) a BRANCH requiring it (like Military Intelligence)
b) a BILLET (particular job) requiring it (like some Signal units, everyone would need a TS)

You need a SECRET clearance to be an officer.

Yes, two years will fix a lot of things. Just take concrete steps over time to fix whatever the problem is: it's called mitigation. And whatever you do, don't lie or withhold information from the investigator. That is nearly always worse than the actual issue you're lying or withholding about.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
He may have 34 years in the Army, but either he has no clue what he's talking about or you're misunderstanding him. NO, you do not need a TS clearance for ANY Army rank unless you are either in
He said I'll need a top secret later on either way, I remember that 100% just sure he probably said to re-class to another branch or something even if I didn't ask him about that. It's a need to know basis for TS but everything is just simpler with a TS for an officer long term I suppose.

Quote:
Yes, two years will fix a lot of things. Just take concrete steps over time to fix whatever the problem is: it's called mitigation. And whatever you do, don't lie or withhold information from the investigator. That is nearly always worse than the actual issue you're lying or withholding about.
I am pretty sure I'll be better off starting all over, thanks for the heads up.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:02 PM

45,529 posts, read 60,771,442 times
You'll have various clearances throughout your military career. I'm somewhat surprised you don't have one now. I had to have one prior to entering AOCS in 1981.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:30 PM

12,111 posts, read 23,331,841 times
Never heard of such a thing. TS investigations are a lot of work and I don't see them being handed out in a blanket matter simply because someone is an 0-2. If you need a TS they will process you for it.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:30 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,731,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco View Post
..just a hard decision as there's just no need to pay $1,400+ a month with maintenance for returning home every night solo with 4 rooms for myself with a few weekend friendly get together's here and there.
The "need" is that you borrowed the money, agreed to pay it back, and seem to have the ability to pay it back. You can call it a "strategic default" but that's just putting lipstick on a pig. If you can't be trusted to keep your word about paying your debts, I sure as heck hope no one makes the mistake of trusting that you will keep your word to protect our nation's secrets.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:41 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,094,131 times
34 years and he's an E8 still?

Like the others have said, you do not need a TS to be commissioned. A TS clearance unless it's initiated by your bosses, at least that's my experience, as it does cost a decent amount of money to process a TS clearance with the manpower that needs to be involved in the investigation.

Once commissioned, you do not need a TS to be promoted to 1LT.

Funny story:

When my old roommate filled out his paperwork for his TS, he put me down as his co-habitant. The lady meets with me and asks a few questions. After she completes her investigation, she speaks with him and says, "uh, your roommate, I didn't get the impression you guys were 'like that.'" He looked at her like and she said that she didn't see us as being gay. She told him the co-habitant was meant as significant other but not spouse.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The "need" is that you borrowed the money, agreed to pay it back, and seem to have the ability to pay it back. You can call it a "strategic default" but that's just putting lipstick on a pig. If you can't be trusted to keep your word about paying your debts, I sure as heck hope no one makes the mistake of trusting that you will keep your word to protect our nation's secrets.
So I should just stay with a bad investment with my bank for 40 years just to satisfy the Army needs? Bluntly, no thank you. It's called business, just like re-classifying from an Army branch in my view. However, with this bank my past history with my ex comes into play, not just my history now. Ever being divorced? It's called change of plans. The bank is NOT in control and shouldn't ever be in control, I am. When the bank wants to keep greedy and won't take your comfort needs into play right now, people change, people quit and I am doing so on time as I can while young. It's a 40 year commitment, not a 4 year commitment. Anyone can pay a mortgage, new business adaptation for 60-70 hours a week or 2-3 jobs, healthy? See a better picture now mate? Bank won't ever decide for me, risk vs reward with bank vs people, just business. Simple.

Last edited by Joaco; 09-26-2013 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: Adding a clarifying note..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues